The Beer Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Elder is more accessible down in southern CA too. I think you have to get it same day as shipment arrival but it’s around.

I haven’t had any Bottle Logic in a while but they don’t disappoint.

Keep an eye out for anything by Green Cheek, they’ve only been open for about 5 years now are consistently putting out awesome shit.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
BD5E3191-A3C3-462C-AAFB-431E65C4DD51.jpeg

Hanging out in Athens, GA today - highly recommend Creature Comforts if you get the opportunity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm going to be in Pittsburgh for a few days on business next month. Any good breweries I should check out while there? I'd love a place I can chill for a few hours to escape spending time with my coworkers.

I'll have a car so I can head outside the city easily if there are any good places in the suburbs.

• 1Like

McCheese

I ended up going to Southern Tier. Apparently they have a brewery and taproom right in downtown Pittsburgh. It was a good place with some tasty beers of theirs I hadn't had before. Southern Tier is one of my mainstream go-to's at the liquor store, so it was a nice surprise to find that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

Flying-Dog-rise-bing.jpg

ian malcom meme.png

Flying Dog makes an Old Bay beer Dead Rise. It's got just a hint of Old Bay. It's really good and I look forward to it every summer.

This year they released a new Double Dead Rise with even more Old Bay. It's not good. I think this is the first Old Bay flavored thing I've actively disliked. It tasted almost gritty there's so much Old Bay in it.

• 1Like

McCheese

I've been drinking this the last few weekends:

double dog 18.jpg

I've tried to enjoy it, but I just can't see the appeal of these super high ABV beers. The alcohol is so overpowering it ruins any hop, malt, or other flavors. It does get me drunk right quick, though.

• 2Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I've been drinking this the last few weekends:

View attachment 426939

I've tried to enjoy it, but I just can't see the appeal of these super high ABV beers. The alcohol is so overpowering it ruins any hop, malt, or other flavors. It does get me drunk right quick, though.
I haven’t had any IPAs that strong but there are stouts that handle it quite well.
The Bruery’s Black Tuesday and it’s variants are between 17 and 22%, and drink like they’re at least 5% lower. As well as no loss of flavor

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Stouts are an entirely different beast. I have yet to try a triple IPA that I enjoyed including a lot of the “New England heavy hitter” breweries. But give me a 20% bourbon barrel aged motor oil black stout and I’m a happy man.

• 2Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Only triple IPA I've really really enjoyed is Pliny the Younger. There was a local brewery called Black Sands that made a fantastic one but they shuttered a few years ago.

My favorite kind of high ABV beer is a Belgian. I can slam a proper tripel or quad.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I’ve had a triple or two from Offshoot that were at worst solid.

Feeling brave (foolish?) tonight, leaning toward pbj or cherry chocolate

Attachments

• AB52D494-575D-41BD-9E9C-10E983BCA6F5.jpeg
    AB52D494-575D-41BD-9E9C-10E983BCA6F5.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 12
  • B3A25B03-5A71-46E5-AB22-9A0B852D5AE2.jpeg
    B3A25B03-5A71-46E5-AB22-9A0B852D5AE2.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I’ve had a triple or two from Offshoot that were at worst solid.

Feeling brave (foolish?) tonight, leaning toward pbj or cherry chocolate

My body is ready for stout season, I need it to get cooler first though.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My body is ready for stout season, I need it to get cooler first though.

I just can't get in to stout. Hints of chocolate in my beer just don't do it for me. I don't know why, I would love to enjoy a good stout on a cool fall day. I just don't like it. The only one I enjoy is the occasional Guinness.

One of the hockey teams I play on is in a league everyone refers to as the "beer league." What's amazing is that no one in the leagues likes stout, IPA, or anything except Coors or Miller light. I've started bringing Labatt Blue, kind of the Canadian equivalent, and I've actually started to really enjoy it after playing hockey for an hour. I feel like I'm turning into my dad.

Hekotat

I just can't get in to stout. Hints of chocolate in my beer just don't do it for me. I don't know why, I would love to enjoy a good stout on a cool fall day. I just don't like it. The only one I enjoy is the occasional Guinness.

One of the hockey teams I play on is in a league everyone refers to as the "beer league." What's amazing is that no one in the leagues likes stout, IPA, or anything except Coors or Miller light. I've started bringing Labatt Blue, kind of the Canadian equivalent, and I've actually started to really enjoy it after playing hockey for an hour. I feel like I'm turning into my dad.

I'm kind of the opposite, I hated beer for the longest time. Then a friend had me try a stout, didn't really care for it, however, the next year it's all I could think of. Now it's one of my favorite things to enjoy, a good coffee stout is heaven.

• 1Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm kind of the opposite, I hated beer for the longest time. Then a friend had me try a stout, didn't really care for it, however, the next year it's all I could think of. Now it's one of my favorite things to enjoy, a good coffee stout is heaven.
2014 Bourbon County Coffee was one of the best beers I've ever had. If I could have spent $1000 on them the year I got a few and kept one or two for each year I would have without hesitation.

McCheese

I got into Mexican stouts last winter. I had never heard of them before that, but last year they seemed trendy because every local brewery had one. I'm looking forward to them this year.

My go-to cool weather fall beer is Spaten Optimator. It's nothing fancy, but there's something about it that I just find so good. It's my weeknight beer in October and November.

optimator.jpg

Hekotat

2014 Bourbon County Coffee was one of the best beers I've ever had. If I could have spent $1000 on them the year I got a few and kept one or two for each year I would have without hesitation.

I had the cherry wood last year on tap and a bottle for Christmas. It was 11 bucks for a sample of it on tap and holy shit was it good, way better than out of the bottle. It sold out so quick, I was disappointed when I went back the next week.

My go to is the Samuel Smith Double Chocolate Stout because I can find it everywhere, but the Frigid Underworld Espresso Stout is incredibly good and their can art is very well done.

1663865915007.png

1663865937768.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
IPA are tired now. I wish some new resurgance would grip the micro breweries so we all could enjoy some other beer styles re imagined. I go to my local liquor store and all I see is literally 80% IPA on shelves and they have a specialty beer section thats like 1/2 the store, including a walk in cooler. and most of these IPA is literally how much hops can we fit into this beer before its not considered beer anymore. Blech!

• 1Solidarity

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I basically stopped drinking beer, and stick mostly to bourbon or cocktails. Only time I splurge is when I can get my hands on some great barrel aged stouts or sours. I went to Tree House like a month ago and only bought 8 IPAs (still spent like $300 on spirits, na seltzers, coffee, and stouts).