The Beer Thread

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ditto. Go to the brewery, grab some growlers then hit up the food trucks outside. An evening well spent
We'll have our almost 1 year old with us so evenings are probably out. I'm thinking maybe Sunday if I can still get tickets. Any place nearby that you guys recommend for food? Are there good Cuban places near there?

I'll be in the Tampa area soon for about a week. Anything I should look for that is good? Usually we just drink Yuengling since we can't get that in Chicago...
Most will say Cigar City which is a great choice. However, I would pick Cycle Brewing (St. Pete), Rapp brewing, and Green Bench brewing over Cigar City. All three of those are doing much more variety these days.

Cigar City has the problem of using the same base beer in all their various beers. Once you have had them enough you can pick the taste out very easily no matter what they decide to throw into it.

To be honest... There are a stupid amount of great breweries in Tampa/St. Pete that it would take you weeks to get a good idea of each one.

CeNo65_sl

shitlord
Great beer I found this weekend. Ran out the next and bought 12 more. If you can find it, do it. I haven't been a fan of Cigar City but this collaboration with AleSmith is a fantastic brown.

rrr_img_68972.jpg

CeNo65_sl

shitlord
it sounds like you just moved from san diego to paso, im sorry for your loss. yet you did land in a great place for firestone. I sold my ticket to the firestone invitational due to work reasons but i did get to live vicariously through friends instagrams and Untapped posts.

Late to this thread, but a few of my favorite breweries:

Ballast Point (just about anything by them, especially Indra Kunindra [curry stout], Victory at Sea [Vanilla Imperial Porter], and Sea Monster [Imperial Stout])
Green Flash (also just about anything, but especially their Serano Double Stout - have to go to the brewery itself for it though)
Mission Brewery (their Chocolate/Cherry porter - on tap at the brewery only atm - and Dark Seas - probably my absolute favorite Imperial Stout, it's heavy on toffee taste)

I also recently moved to the Paso Robles area in central California, so I've been spending a lot of time at the Firestone Walker brewery. And holy crap their Proprietor's Reserve series (read: Barrel-aged just about everything, and ridiculously delicious for being 10+% abv) is amazing. Today I'm having Stickee Monkee, a barrel-aged Belgian Quad. PM me if you're reading this and ever in the area and find yourself wanting to hit up FW
wink.png

CeNo65_sl

shitlord
found this at the dollar grocery mart in downtown san diego. Ive had it on tap plenty of times before but in a bottle was an odd sight to see. bottle version lived up to the name yet the hops were a bit sedated.
rrr_img_68973.jpg

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most will say Cigar City which is a great choice. However, I would pick Cycle Brewing (St. Pete), Rapp brewing, and Green Bench brewing over Cigar City. All three of those are doing much more variety these days.

Cigar City has the problem of using the same base beer in all their various beers. Once you have had them enough you can pick the taste out very easily no matter what they decide to throw into it.

To be honest... There are a stupid amount of great breweries in Tampa/St. Pete that it would take you weeks to get a good idea of each one.
I'll check all these out if I have time... at least I can buy them at the liquor store.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's really good. Probably my favorite out of the group.
Duvel is one of the best liked beers here in Belgium too. Very full - yet smooth - taste. Pretty high alcohol percentage though (8.5%), be mindful of that.
smile.png

Talking about alcohol percentage, we were travelling in the West last month, but never found the alcohol percentage of the beers on the bottles or cans? Now I'm reading the wiki on ABV and it says it's mandatory.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well if you were somewhere like Utah it's very possible the beer had no alcohol in it.

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
it sounds like you just moved from san diego to paso, im sorry for your loss. yet you did land in a great place for firestone. I sold my ticket to the firestone invitational due to work reasons but i did get to live vicariously through friends instagrams and Untapped posts.
Sadly, I did move and I miss SD something fierce. Although I do have to admit some of the area here isn't bad. And having a 10 min drive to Firestone really, really helps.

I wish I'd been able to get a ticket to the Invitational - seems like it was a great time. A few friends from SD were up for it and rubbing it in my face, the jerks
wink.png

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Just picked up some Habanero Sculpin yesterday and god damn its like drinking HOT LAVA. Took me an hour to finish the first one.

Edit haha just saw Ceno posted the same beer a few posts up. I'm in SD too, found it in Golden Hill, $15 for 6

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Since it is the first sunny weekend in almost a month wanted to find a good pool beer for this afternoon. Guy at the shop suggested the Tommyknocker IPA & A Half. Not bad, IPA still really isn't my thing. Might look for something a little different next time. I really enjoyed the Green Flash Trippel last time and it wasn't bad relaxing at the pool, but they were out today.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Since it is the first sunny weekend in almost a month wanted to find a good pool beer for this afternoon. Guy at the shop suggested the Tommyknocker IPA & A Half. Not bad, IPA still really isn't my thing. Might look for something a little different next time. I really enjoyed the Green Flash Trippel last time and it wasn't bad relaxing at the pool, but they were out today.
I always go for a berliner weiss for the pool.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Picked up (2) Deschutes 'Mirror Mirror' Barleywines and a Oude Guez 'Fonteinen' lambic (which I'm really excited to try) today at lunch.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Don't know if any of you get Diamond Bear. I like buying local and supporting the home guys but haven't been a huge fan of most of their stuff. Got some Two Term tonight and really kind of like it. It says Double IPA for whatever that means. Only hit up a small beer spot today so wasn't able to pick up any Berliner Weisse but will go to the other spot this week before next Friday when I get tanked at the pool.

I think Core has also stepped up their distribution, been seeing it recently a lot but haven't tried anything. There is one more Arkansas one that has also expanded, maybe Stone's Throw? Will have to check this week.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Alcohol percentage is on every beer, but it can be hard to find sometimes.

I made the trek up to Santa Rosa to camp with some friends yesterday, but it was mostly an excuse to visit Russian River. I've always loved Pliny, but it was nice to try 14 other beers I've never had before. I could have stayed there all night and gone back the next day.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Alcohol percentage is on every beer, but it can be hard to find sometimes.
Nope. ABV is not required to be listed. Most of the time it is, but not always. I have a fuck-ton of empty bottles because I save them for homebrewing and I had to dig through quite a few but I found a Rogue 22oz "OREgasmic Ale" bottle that does not list an ABV anywhere, and I have searched top to bottom. I am pretty sure the majority of the macro-brews don't list their ABV anywhere either but I don't have any around to confirm.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You're right about macro brews. I've never seen ABV posted on Bud Light or PBR. But we they are consistently around 3.2-4.0%.