The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

spronk

FPS noob
check out horizon zero dawn too if you like the ROTR gameplay, the bow play is even better than TR imo. And yeah, you should definitely check out the 2013 TR if you liked ROTR, its pretty much the same stuff in a different location. I'd agree with Ritley, while the UC gameplay is lacking the story is fantastic and UC1-4 tell just a great journey.

Horizon Zero Dawn:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I have played all of them. Here is the main take from my viewpoint.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was fantastic. As with Valclav, it made my X1 worth it. With that said...

Tomb Raider reboot was very good, although I liked Rise better.

Uncharted 1 is going to be dated control wise even with the collection. So know that going in and the game is also over a decade old. Uncharted 2 was one of my favorites. UC3 I never finished. UC4 was one of the best Uncharted experiences there is from a story perspective, game play, character development, etc scenario. Rise of the Tomb Raider did a lot better with actual tombs and puzzles. Uncharted 4 is more of a 3rd person shooter with a mix of weaker puzzles, but the story and characters are MUCH stronger. Uncharted 4 shines in this one.

spronk

FPS noob
Sony absolutely slaying everyone right now. Yakuza 1 remaster will be released Aug 29th in US/NA. A full remaster apparently using Yakuza 0 engine and stuff, 60 fps 1080p. Best of all, it will be $29.99 retail which is amazing for a full game:

steelbook (and normal) versions up on amazon, it should discount to $24 eventually with GCU
Amazon.com: Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 Steelbook Edition: Video Games

Yakuza 0 (out now) is the prequel, this is Yakuza 1, Yakuza 2-5 is out on PS3, Yakuza 6 is coming out this fall (?) on PS4.

spronk

FPS noob
microsoft now offering self service refunds on digital games (dlcs excluded), 2 hours or less played. very cool, hope PSN follows up

C9PKuayVwAAxECN.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Well between the Scorpio specs, the game pass, and this new refund policy the Xbox brand is getting pretty appealing.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well between the Scorpio specs, the game pass, and this new refund policy the Xbox brand is getting pretty appealing.

MS doing a good job marketing too with it being the most upvoted thread on PS4 Reddit.

IMG_7375.jpg

Great news for achievement whores if I can buy gone home beat it in 30 mins for 1K GS and return that shit.

Last edited:

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is this what Uncharted feels like? Should I give those another chance?

The controls in the demos always felt terrible to me, so I never purchased them. Am I mistaken?

Also, is the first Tomb Raider equally awesome?

No, Uncharted is a pale comparison IMO - at least gameplay wise. Uncharted I could never play all the way through because I really don't go for dull shooters.

RotR I'd compare to Horizon (or LotU) for how fun the play is, Uncharted was less fun than Doom.

Vaclav

You have a lot of bad opinions.

Disliking 1 90ish metacritic and liking 4 80+'s is "bad opinions"? Okie, doke.

And mind you, I wouldn't diss UC for everyone - it just wasn't for me. Just like although I love Persona 5 - I'd not recommend it to alot of people that aren't into JRPG/Anime stuff.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You could say maybe you like firing a bow more than a gun or something, but to say the combat was better than Uncharted 2 and up is just stupid. They basically invented the fucking genre, Tomb Raider was a nice addition but in no fucking way is it better. Uncharted 2 is a masterpiece.

Uncharted 1's gunplay was sub-par sure, was still a great game.

Trying to compare Tomb Raider to Horizon though...

But you know, I'm not just talking about this thread or that particular comment, you also were defending that piece of shit Andromeda too brother.

Vaclav

Uh... cover shooters are boring as shit. I always go for most difficult off the bat, and UC2-3-4 (I never bothered trying 1 at all got into PS3 too late for it to be the first - would've gone backwards if I liked the others) demanded constant cover hopping. To date, I've really enjoyed ONE cover shooter - the Wolfenstein "reboot" - and I'm pretty sure a hunk of that was nostalgia factor.

TR wasn't a cover shooter - it was a survival themed product with pretty good stealth/survival mechanics (a bit easy for my tastes even on the hardest difficulties) and no "must be in cover constantly" mandate if you played wisely. Part of why I put it in the same family as Horizon - Horizon is an A+ version and RotR I'd label as a A- probably, it was excellent - but Horizon took RotR's core concepts and perfected them in such a way I can't see it ever being done better. (If you can't see how Horizon drew upon similar mechanics as TR while adding some Far Cry elements, I don't know what to say... whether intentional or not in design, there's a TON of parallels)

And by no stretch was I defending ME:A - I thought it was mediocre at best (I projected a 75 metacritic) - good enough for someone with a gigantic gaming appetite (like myself), but for those that pick and choose definitely something to skip. The only defense I made was the "OMG SJW STUFF" nonsense, because it was overblown. Sure SOME existed in the game and some of it was pretty hamfisted - but nothing exceeded my threshold I could tune out. (Which may be higher than average - my professional life was in HR - so I've been numbing myself to "tolerable weirdness" for around 20 years)

• 1Smuggly

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You are an idiot if you think cover hopping is the only way to play Uncharted. Survival themed? Fucking christ, there is just no reason to respond to this idiocy.

(tons of parallels, female lead and a bow...)

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I guess you're right about the cover system in ROTR though.

Rise of the Tomb Raider has a cover system that barely works. The AI enemy is brain-dead and the weapons’ upgrade system is unnecessary and extensive. A new feature (in this game of the franchise) is crafting, which I used primarily for whipping up new arrows on the fly and instantly healing myself. This makes Rise of the Tomb Raider painfully easy, as I only once ran out of healing materials while playing on the toughest difficulty.

Rise of the Tomb Raider [PC Review] | Screenshank

Think this sums up that game quite nicely. I enjoyed the 2013 TR though, it's certainly no fucking Uncharted 2, but what is.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
But hey, if you're into poorly built games with input lag ROTR might be your bag! At least they fixed in on PS4!

nL6vM69.png

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
As much as I love the Uncharted series I think the TR reboot and Rise are better in terms of gameplay. Uncharted is the better story game but both combat and actual exploration are TR wins IMO. None of them are like H:ZD, though, so I don't see those comparisons at all.

• 1Solidarity