The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Title of the article doesn't really match the content. It seems they're patenting a way of remastering a game by emulating old code but with better textures is all.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
x86 architecture would make that really easy if they end up going with the next gen AMD stuff. Like a PS4 Pro++.
I really hope this is true. I would gladly pay $600 or more for a PS5 that can play games back to a PS1.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I really hope this is true. I would gladly pay $600 or more for a PS5 that can play games back to a PS1.
As far as playing anything prior to a PS4, that's questionable. There is certainly potential, though. PS1 and PS2 games can easily be emulated on PC using a 3rd party ap with even half-ass hardware. PS3 emulation is a different animal, though. Full backwards compatibility would be fucking insane, though. And if they stick to x86, they can just port the "emulation" to the new OS on the PS6++.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Title of the article doesn't really match the content. It seems they're patenting a way of remastering a game by emulating old code but with better textures is all.
Which makes me think they're gonna do something like the Switch does, and offer "enhanced" editions of old games. Probably PS4 to PS4 Pro, if I'm being pessimistic.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's a comment on r/ps4 that has an interesting take on it:

Its incredibly true that due to switching to a more PC-like architecture, backwards compatibility is 10x more feasible for the next round of consoles. Also factoring in Sony's seemingly renewed interest in added-value functionality ( more about the reasons why we bought launch PS4s - Sony were more attuned to the things gamers wanted, and the recent focus on providing working cross-play to add value to their system), we're more likely to see it than PS4-Earlier systems.
However, this patents explicit function is different ;

The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers.
This is more of a way of better structuring remastered assets for higher resolution screens, the next part is more interesting;

The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation.
I'm not convinced that this is explicitly part of the creation process of backwards-compatibility software but more of a developer guideline for running software on present/future consoles. Rather than having to develop multiple running versions of the game for various resolutions, it might just be a way to run ONE executable version of the game that instead of presenting different assets to different systems, the system itself will pull the assets it wants respective to the display resolution. Whether this is meant to help performance is unclear - it may even be a way to place more software security into the new hardware.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
yeah i returned my scuf today no problem, one advantage of buying and trading in a lot at gamestop is they will be nicer than some rando internet website. $15 kontrolfreek caps on my DS4 are just as good
Curious, never really paid attention to the elite controllers but I saw a streamer with this one today. Wireless PS4 Controller - Razer Raiju Ultimate Wondering if you knew about it. After some research though, appears it's only in Europe.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I gotta say I am 0% interested in steaming games. This is a giant waste of industry resources

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It would allow me to play while my wife is watching TV, assuming I don't have a PC game to play. And with wow in its current state, that's become pretty often.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I use GeForce now to stream to my shit ass work computer. Never had any problems with it.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I think they have a ways to go to show it's something I even need, or that they're targeting a specific consumer.

Already I can play the same game on my PC and then either Xbox in the house, the ability to login to mom's Chromebook or something and resume it there has some limited appeal I guess. Being away from home on vacation or something and possibly only needing to bring a controller and a Kindle is certainly something I'd be interested in, infrastructure permitting.

Access to my entire digital library anywhere is why I'm buying into the ecosystem as it is, so any extension of that is welcome.

We'll see, they've gotta show it's useful and does more than similar offerings that have tried (and many failed) to go down a similar path.

Let me stream my games to the Switch... now that'd be impressive, lol.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I gotta say I am 0% interested in steaming games. This is a giant waste of industry resources

I don't either... for now. Being faced with a couple more > $1000 video cards, or Console Pro-X Elite V3.0 is going to change that pretty quick though.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So, I've been going back and forth on getting a PS Pro. I don't have a 4K TV right now and honestly ones not in my future for awhile. It's just not in me to replace something that I own that still works just fine. Maybe I'm getting old and I hate spending money I dunno...anyway

There's a lot of stuff on the PS I want to play, God of War, Spiderman, MLB The Show...I love my XBox but man I really want to give those a shot. Should I bother with a Pro knowing I wont be getting a 4K TV? anytime soon? Or would it be wasted?

Also, what should I get Red Dead 2 on if I get the PS and why?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
PS4 pro will get you better performance, 60 fps vs 30 fps. If you can swing the pro over the regular I would just for the performance boost. Which X Box do you have? The One X should perform a bit better than the pro, not sure how much tho.