The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Don’t worry about your wife. I was worried about mine too when I went all in on a 6 grand upgrade lol. Then I configured it all and the first thing I did was put on planet earth 2. And we watched nature stuff.

The snow leopard part sealed it. “It’s like we are there and you can reach out and touch it! Look at the hair! Oh my God tue colors!”

Yep. That’s why I got it honey. For you so you can see all this while we aren’t on vacations! I wanted to bring the vacation home to you!

That was a good five minutes until she caught on. But that five minutes.... I had her.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Don't let the RDR2 hype push you into a bad purchasing decision. Unless you absolutely need to be playing it multiplayer when it launches, waiting a month for BF sales is not going to kill you.
RDR2 Online isn't even starting until mid-November. And it will probably be a huge mess at first just like GTA Online was and R* made it clear it will still be a beta when it first hits. Not that GTA Online being a mess was a bad thing; you could actually make tons of money when it first came out (cheating was the easy way, but even just playing missions wasn't terrible) but then they starting fucking with everything and turned it into a Korean MMO level grind in order to sell more Shark cards.

Aye... I'd buy an OLED myself if I wasn't so adamant on waiting for HDMI 2.1 & good implementation of high res/VRR. My 49x800d will have to make due until then.
Yeah, that's exactly why I set my budget well below OLED level too. TV manufacturers are really dragging their asses about getting HDMI 2.1 implemented, especially variable refresh.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Thing is hdmi 2.1 won’t matter much for gaming unless they start pushing 12-bit color. Hdmi 2.0 can pass 18gb. With ycc 4:2:2 and 10 bit hdr for a while to come, at 4k60 MHz you will be under (but close) to that. Only thing you will get is 4k60 hdr 10 bit at 4:4:4 which pushes 22gb and change which would require hdmi 2.1.

This next gen of consoles will be pushing 4k60 at 10 bit hdr. And if it goes to 120hz with variable you won’t see that passed through with hdr at all even with hdmi 2.1. It isn’t capable.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Thing is hdmi 2.1 won’t matter much for gaming unless they start pushing 12-bit color. Hdmi 2.0 can pass 18gb. With ycc 4:2:2 and 10 bit hdr for a while to come, at 4k60 MHz you will be under (but close) to that. Only thing you will get is 4k60 hdr 10 bit at 4:4:4 which pushes 22gb and change which would require hdmi 2.1.

You're forgetting refresh rates above 60

formatdataratetable-100743742-orig.jpg

(HDMI 2.1 specs and features: Everything you need to know)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Quick question for the new LG OLED owners: how bad are these ads that come with the tv?

I haven’t seen any ads. Are you talking about the smart tv functionality? I have not noticed it there.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Speaking specifically for gaming but for refresh rates for TV (sports) that won’t matter because everything is still broadcast at 720p and upscaled without HDR.

Next gen gaming consoles are shooting for 60 FPS at 4k lock. 60hz is all you will need. Correct? And with HDR being locked at 10-bit, with ycc 4:2:2, you will be under hdmi 2.0 bandwidth spec.

What application will you need hdmi 2.1 for within the next 8-10 years is the better question due to next gen console limitations. (Gaming specifically with consoles obviously not with PC)

Edit: Sorry I forget about those to want to push 4k PC gaming at high refresh to their sets. I’m speaking specifically next gen console.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Speaking specifically for gaming but for refresh rates for TV (sports) that won’t matter because everything is still broadcast at 720p and upscaled without HDR.

Next gen gaming consoles are shooting for 60 FPS at 4k lock. 60hz is all you will need. Correct? And with HDR being locked at 10-bit, with ycc 4:2:2, you will be under hdmi 2.0 bandwidth spec.

What application will you need hdmi 2.1 for within the next 8-10 years is the better question due to next gen console limitations. (Gaming specifically with consoles obviously not with PC)

Edit: Sorry I forget about those to want to push 4k PC gaming at high refresh to their sets. I’m speaking specifically next gen console.

We have no idea what the next gen of consoles or their half-gen variants (pro/elite) might bring. That gen is going to happen around the same time the hdmi 2.1 stuff really sets in to new sets. Being stuck with a TV that can't manage any of it that you bought shortly before it became available would really suck, especially if you're dropping the amount an OLED costs.

Then, there's PC usage. My TV is currently my main display for my 1080ti, and I would love nothing more than to have a 3080ti connected to a beautiful TV that could do 120hz, and VRR (Provided Nvidia stops being retarded)

My main point is really just that it's foolish to not wait for 2.1 unless you really really need a new TV now, and want to buy a premium display. If I bought an OLED now, I'd just regret it in 2 years.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
We have no idea what the next gen of consoles or their half-gen variants (pro/elite) might bring. That gen is going to happen around the same time the hdmi 2.1 stuff really sets in to new sets. Being stuck with a TV that can't manage any of it that you bought shortly before it became available would really suck, especially if you're dropping the amount an OLED costs.

Then, there's PC usage. My TV is currently my main display for my 1080ti, and I would love nothing more than to have a 3080ti connected to a beautiful TV that could do 120hz, and VRR (Provided Nvidia stops being retarded)

My main point is really just that it's foolish to not wait for 2.1 unless you really really need a new TV now, and want to buy a premium display. If I bought an OLED now, I'd just regret it in 2 years.

There is literally no chance you will see anything higher this coming generation than 4k60 10 bit hdr. Absolutely 100% guaranteed.

But for PC gaming and in the future if you plan on having your oled last 10+ years, I completely understand.

spronk

FPS noob
its gonna be longer than 2 years though. Once the new HDMI 2.1 full spec TVs come out at CES, its introduced at a $20k+ price point, like the 8K tvs that were displayed this year (but i don't think you can really still buy any of them). Then its another 2 years to trickle down to $5k price points, and another 2 years down to $2k and under. I don't think anything "real" HDMI 2.1 is expected at CES 2019, so earliest we are really looking at in-your-home at $3k or under with full feature set HDMI 2.1 is probably 2023. So to me its a no brainer upgrading to an OLED set when you want to, you are good for at least 3-4 years I think.

The OLED update year to year is pretty minor too, the biggest change will be improvements in HDR and top end NIT levels which is fairly minor when doing the jump from LCD to OLED.

Whats expected at CES 2019 is eARC and some form of VRR in a few eTVs but probably only for 8K "its really just for demo" TVs, I wouldn't expect VRR to settle down until 2020 and full HDMI 2.1 around 2021/2022.

Samsung showed their 8K line models with some HDMI 2.1 implementations at Berlin but none of them are really expected to be mass produced or sold. 8K requires HDMI 2.1 to run so really its gonna be a mixture of all that tech that gets implemented, standardized, and mass produced. The control chipsets for all of this is extremely rare still too.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
What are you basing this on other than speculation?

Well, we are BARELY seeing 4k60 with 1200 dollar vid cards today. Next gen consoles will be pushing 4k60 frames with HDR as a standard. Remember we will be talking 400 dollar systems. (Even if they launch in 2020)

Speculation on my part. I just do not see anything higher than 4k60 10-bit for next gen consoles. Hell, content on movies it just now catching up to 4khdr and we still cannot even rent them yet. Most streamed shows are still 1080 and only premium shows on Netflix and amazon are just starting to push 4k hdr today. Content is still a major factor and technology will accept more with hdmi 2.1 but won’t take advantage of it for who knows how long.

It’s just a crystal ball based on past experience, where we are at now, how long it took to get even to this point, and how much longer it will take for standards to become mainstream to support hdmi 2.1.

I’d be interested to see the prices of OLED with hdmi 2.1 when they come out. It will probably plummet the current gen OLED price and you may just pick that up instead.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
its gonna be longer than 2 years though. Once the new HDMI 2.1 full spec TVs come out at CES, its introduced at a $20k+ price point, like the 8K tvs that were displayed this year (but i don't think you can really still buy any of them). Then its another 2 years to trickle down to $5k price points, and another 2 years down to $2k and under. I don't think anything "real" HDMI 2.1 is expected at CES 2019, so earliest we are really looking at in-your-home at $3k or under with full feature set HDMI 2.1 is probably 2023. So to me its a no brainer upgrading to an OLED set when you want to, you are good for at least 3-4 years I think.

The OLED update year to year is pretty minor too, the biggest change will be improvements in HDR and top end NIT levels which is fairly minor when doing the jump from LCD to OLED.

Whats expected at CES 2019 is eARC and some form of VRR in a few eTVs but probably only for 8K "its really just for demo" TVs, I wouldn't expect VRR to settle down until 2020 and full HDMI 2.1 around 2021/2022.

Samsung showed their 8K line models with some HDMI 2.1 implementations at Berlin but none of them are really expected to be mass produced or sold. 8K requires HDMI 2.1 to run so really its gonna be a mixture of all that tech that gets implemented, standardized, and mass produced. The control chipsets for all of this is extremely rare still too.

I'd certainly see this as being the case for 8k screens with 2.1, but I expect 4k screens with 2.1 to be available at a reasonable price by the time I want one (q4 2020)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well, we are BARELY seeing 4k60 with 1200 dollar vid cards today. Next gen consoles will be pushing 4k60 frames with HDR as a standard. Remember we will be talking 400 dollar systems. (Even if they launch in 2020)

Speculation on my part. I just do not see anything higher than 4k60 10-bit for next gen consoles. Hell, content on movies it just now catching up to 4khdr and we still cannot even rent them yet. Most streamed shows are still 1080 and only premium shows on Netflix and amazon are just starting to push 4k hdr today. Content is still a major factor and technology will accept more with hdmi 2.1 but won’t take advantage of it for who knows how long.

It’s just a crystal ball based on past experience, where we are at now, how long it took to get even to this point, and how much longer it will take for standards to become mainstream to support hdmi 2.1.

I’d be interested to see the prices of OLED with hdmi 2.1 when they come out. It will probably plummet the current gen OLED price and you may just pick that up instead.

That AAA games on a console can't manage above 4k60 has nothing to do with them implementing the HDMI standard. There are more games on consoles than just the big boys. They need these consoles to be around for roughly half a decade, I can't see them going with an old standard as there's just no reason to.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That AAA games on a console can't manage above 4k60 has nothing to do with them implementing the HDMI standard. There are more games on consoles than just the big boys. They need these consoles to be around for roughly half a decade, I can't see them going with an old standard as there's just no reason to.

Oh I don’t doubt they will implement hdmi 2.1. But who cares if they are pushing 4k60 10 bit games which will only require 30% of its bandwidth.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Oh I don’t doubt they will implement hdmi 2.1. But who cares if they are pushing 4k60 10 bit games which will only require 30% of its bandwidth.

The people playing less-intensive games like Fortnite, Rocket League, and the many other consoles games that will benefit from above 60hz will care. It's not just a bandwidth matter. The console will need 2.1 capability in order to give those players with high refresh televisions the ability to fully utilize them.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The people playing less-intensive games like Fortnite, Rocket League, and the many other consoles games that will benefit from above 60hz will care. It's not just a bandwidth matter. The console will need 2.1 capability in order to give those players with high refresh televisions the ability to fully utilize them.

Content will be locked at 60 like they are today at 30. In my opinion.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Content will be locked at 60 like they are today at 30. In my opinion.

Content isn't even universally locked at 30 today, so this isn't a good example.

It'll be up to the individual devs to choose what FPS they want to aim for/cap at, and I'm sure some developers won't bother with above 60, but some will. And again, it will have no drawbacks to include the capability for it to be available.

Also, remember that MS (and maybe Sony still? Can't remember) have been wanting to push towards the consoles being PC-like for a while, where high refresh rates are already well established.

And don't forget potential for high refresh/resolution remasters.

I understand your skepticism, but I hope some of this conversation has pointed out just how great the potential for the next gen is. I firmly believe that the days of "30 is enough" will be left behind, and there will be more performance potential and options in all areas.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've never felt old when it comes to tech until reading you guys talk about damn televisions.

Now I'm scared of ATM's and Facebook, like my dad. Thanks.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users