The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm looking at a lot of TCL's on that site and they all say unflattering things but people here were singing their praises so I dunno what to think now.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Why not expect much in HDR when it says it does HDR? does it not?

HDR is about making elements of the picture brighter. Note in the rtings review where it lists out the brightness for both SDR and HDR. So, while technically it can do HDR, it might as well not (remember what I was saying about bad HDR previously)

Capture.JPG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm looking at a lot of TCL's on that site and they all say unflattering things but people here were singing their praises so I dunno what to think now.

Well, what do you expect from the cheapest 4k offering by the company? That site says it's good value for money: "TCL TVs have shown to offer great value over the past few years."

If you want more value, you have to spend more money.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yep. You get what you pay for when it comes to TV's right now. We're still in the midst of 4k/HDR being established on top of new panel tech. It's very easy to have to pay a lot to get a good one that covers everything you want

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
so I get that, again, I was just saying quite a few were singing their praises on here but reading on there they don't seem great. So I was confused.

I'm not defending them or whatever, again, I'm not the one that was saying they were great, just that I was confused.

I'm well aware more money = better, I'm not stupid. lol

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If you are looking for cheap 4k gaming with HDR enabled, and want better than what you have now without breaking the bank, you will notice the difference with this display for sure. Even "Value" 4k HDR is going to be better than 1080p SDR. With that said, you will also notice the same increase in picture quality once you upgrade to a better panel (OLED obviously)

For $379 you cannot go wrong.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
If you are looking for cheap 4k gaming with HDR enabled, and want better than what you have now without breaking the bank, you will notice the difference with this display for sure. Even "Value" 4k HDR is going to be better than 1080p SDR. With that said, you will also notice the same increase in picture quality once you upgrade to a better panel (OLED obviously)

For $379 you cannot go wrong.

for the TCL I originally listed?

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
so I get that, again, I was just saying quite a few were singing their praises on here but reading on there they don't seem great. So I was confused.

I'm not defending them or whatever, again, I'm not the one that was saying they were great, just that I was confused.

I'm well aware more money = better, I'm not stupid. lol

The 405 isn't great across the spectrum of all 4k TVs but other brands at that price point are mostly worse. That's the point. So, I don't know what you're reading that makes you think that TCL is below par at that price range.

The TCL 617 will run you $600 and its HDR is pretty good. Look at the review for it. Personally, I think it's worth the extra $220. It is plenty of review site's money for value pick.

CNET says about it: "The bottom line With superb picture quality that rivals TVs costing twice as much, TCL's 6 series is the best TV value we've ever reviewed."

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The 405 isn't great across the spectrum of all 4k TVs but other brands at that price point are mostly worse. That's the point. So, I don't know what you're reading that makes you think that TCL is below par at that price range.

The TCL 617 will run you $600 and its HDR is pretty good. Look at the review for it. Personally, I think it's worth the extra $220. It is plenty of review site's money for value pick.

CNET says about it: "The bottom line With superb picture quality that rivals TVs costing twice as much, TCL's 6 series is the best TV value we've ever reviewed."

This one? It's not 600, its $650. Whichm whatever I just wanna make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There's three huge differences between the older S models and the latest R615/617. First, as already pointed out it's not very bright, and well below the HDR spec. Second, the S models don't have the local dimming zones that the R615/617 do and without that HDR really doesn't do much. Third, the Rs have Dolby Vision and not just HDR10, though technically that's all you need for games. DV is for blurays and Netflix (Roku app or Xbone only, PS4 only does HDR10).

Regarding the price, Amazon charges $50 extra for the 617 because it comes with a dumb voice remote for the Roku smart TV apps. I bought my 615 from Best Buy for $600, and if you have a BB near you I highly suggest getting it from them instead of Amazon. Everything else is identical except it just has a plain Roku remote. You can also see by reading reviews that Amazon got at least a couple bad batches of both the 55" and 65" in which people had serious problems with banding. Mine from BB just has a very minor dirty screen effect that isn't even noticeable most of the time. You're not going to get an absolutely perfect TV for $600-1000, but imo it's a pretty minor flaw. For the money, and provided you don't get one with banding which actually is unbearable to look at, it can't be beat.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
There's three huge differences between the older S models and the latest R615/617. First, as already pointed out it's not very bright, and well below the HDR spec. Second, the S models don't have the local dimming zones that the R615/617 do and without that HDR really doesn't do much. Third, the Rs have Dolby Vision and not just HDR10, though technically that's all you need for games. DV is for blurays and Netflix (Roku app or Xbone only, PS4 only does HDR10).

Regarding the price, Amazon charges $50 extra for the 617 because it comes with a dumb voice remote for the Roku smart TV apps. I bought my 615 from Best Buy for $600, and if you have a BB near you I highly suggest getting it from them instead of Amazon. Everything else is identical except it just has a plain Roku remote. You can also see by reading reviews that Amazon got at least a couple bad batches of both the 55" and 65" in which people had serious problems with banding. Mine from BB just has a very minor dirty screen effect that isn't even noticeable most of the time. You're not going to get an absolutely perfect TV for $600-1000, but imo it's a pretty minor flaw. For the money, and provided you don't get one with banding which actually is unbearable to look at, it can't be beat.

Oh nice info on that, I appreciate it. I'd rather get it through Best Buy anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I appreciate all the info guys, thanks. Still not sure I wanna spend that much but it seems that’s the better option I guess.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I appreciate all the info guys, thanks. Still not sure I wanna spend that much but it seems that’s the better option I guess.

Don't let the RDR2 hype push you into a bad purchasing decision. Unless you absolutely need to be playing it multiplayer when it launches, waiting a month for BF sales is not going to kill you.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I mean, I can afford it. I just hate spending money on myself. My wife yells at me often for it actually.

Like, I absolutely HATE it. It's not a modesty thing, it legit makes me annoyed. I can't explain it. I'll spend money on others or necessities without flinching. Me? Fuck that.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Regretting purchases (for whatever reason) also falls under the bad purchasing decision umbrella. Saving money might mean the difference between regret or enthusiasm that you got a good deal, and therefor "it was ok to spend that on myself". Or just sack up and tell yourself that "by gosh, I'm worth it". Life's short dude. Enjoy it if and when you can.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
When I bought my switch my wife told me she wanted to play a specific game on it when it eventually comes out, just so I'd go buy it. She knows how I am. lol

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Regretting purchases (for whatever reason) also falls under the bad purchasing decision umbrella. Saving money might mean the difference between regret or enthusiasm that you got a good deal, and therefor "it was ok to spend that on myself". Or just sack up and tell yourself that "by gosh, I'm worth it". Life's short dude. Enjoy it if and when you can.
Yea... I'm worth it way too often sometimes! Haha. I've already got the LG oled and have held off for a long time on a ps4 pro. It's hard to keep resisting.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yea... I'm worth it way too often sometimes! Haha. I've already got the LG oled and have held off for a long time on a ps4 pro. It's hard to keep resisting.

Aye... I'd buy an OLED myself if I wasn't so adamant on waiting for HDMI 2.1 & good implementation of high res/VRR. My 49x800d will have to make due until then.

• 1Like