The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think people get a l ittle too boner-y when it comes to TVs and get caught up in all the acronyms and numbers

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think people get a l ittle too boner-y when it comes to TVs and get caught up in all the acronyms and numbers

There's certainly cases of this. People go nuts over 4k for example, but end up watching it from a distance that makes it impossible to even see the difference, but still profess just how amazing!!!1111! it looks. And some other elements such as how good HDR looks, while watching content that doesn't even have HDR.

But for people who know the tech and understand it, there's a reason why they talk about it so much. The tech becomes a hobby in and of itself, and it's really hard to go back to lower quality once you pierce that barrier (refresh rates in my case)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Agreed. HDR in my case. Especially Dolby vision and what HDR could become if we could ever get to 12-bit color. That would be amazing.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well I just got my PS4 Pro, transferring data as we speak. Taking a while since it had just downloaded Red Dead Redemption 2 during the night so that's an extra 100GB to transfer.

While I picked up my PS4 Pro, also picked up a new TV. LG C8 OLED 55" which since Monday has gone down in price by $500. I'm watching Thor Ragnarok in 4K, damn it seems like a different movie from what I've seen before on my old TV. It's just so ridiculous how good this thing looks, and I haven't even tweaked the settings yet.

So happy...and so poor now. :)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I went and picked up my TV this afternoon. I’m waiting for my PS4 Pro before I use it for the first time. Lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I pretty much haven’t used my 4kTv since I bought a 4kmonitor which was similar on price.

No loud jet engine for RDR2. Soygen Soygen
I will be going X. I’ll jet engine it up with TLoU2.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
its gonna be longer than 2 years though. Once the new HDMI 2.1 full spec TVs come out at CES, its introduced at a $20k+ price point, like the 8K tvs that were displayed this year (but i don't think you can really still buy any of them). Then its another 2 years to trickle down to $5k price points, and another 2 years down to $2k and under. I don't think anything "real" HDMI 2.1 is expected at CES 2019, so earliest we are really looking at in-your-home at $3k or under with full feature set HDMI 2.1 is probably 2023. So to me its a no brainer upgrading to an OLED set when you want to, you are good for at least 3-4 years I think.

The OLED update year to year is pretty minor too, the biggest change will be improvements in HDR and top end NIT levels which is fairly minor when doing the jump from LCD to OLED.

Whats expected at CES 2019 is eARC and some form of VRR in a few eTVs but probably only for 8K "its really just for demo" TVs, I wouldn't expect VRR to settle down until 2020 and full HDMI 2.1 around 2021/2022.

Samsung showed their 8K line models with some HDMI 2.1 implementations at Berlin but none of them are really expected to be mass produced or sold. 8K requires HDMI 2.1 to run so really its gonna be a mixture of all that tech that gets implemented, standardized, and mass produced. The control chipsets for all of this is extremely rare still too.
It all comes down to marketability. Even your technophiles know they're wasting their time on anything surpassing 4K. Even early adopters, especially when 4K screen are invariably better given their native resolution. Also, when 4K came out there was content. There's nearly zero 8K content that isn't basic scenery, and the media to present it costs as much as a 4k bluray player. We're reaching the pinnacle of human capacity in what we can differentiate in quality, such that in order to continue, it's going to have to dig deeper into micropixels and VR Performance to really capture an audience. And even then... I still suspect 8K, 12K+ bs to be produced, but I see production being stuck on 4K for a long while, especially when, for the vast majority, I can only get 4K with 2 channel audio, or 1080p upscale with DTS-MA from a streaming fidelity perspective.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
To you guys that just bought new 4k tvs I recommend a replay of hzd and gow. You're going to have a never ending boner.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
To you guys that just bought new 4k tvs I recommend a replay of hzd and gow. You're going to have a never ending boner.

Yeah I'm going to try and replay Horizon, I did boot it up just to see and damn does it look insane.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I pretty much haven’t used my 4kTv since I bought a 4kmonitor which was similar on price.

No loud jet engine for RDR2. Soygen Soygen
I will be going X. I’ll jet engine it up with TLoU2.
Yeah I went PS4 only because my brother did and he doesn't have Xbox. Goddamn bads.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It’s ok we got a few including sukik sukik Utnayan Utnayan and spronk spronk to exploit the natives and rob caravans

Help me guilt trip Big sukik sukik into a 4k Tv.

I need to get sukik sukik on my friends list.

Our posse has tremendous possibilities once online launches!

We need a clan.

Fire of Horses
The FOH Four
Furor's Freedom Fighters
Fearsome Oligarchs of Happenstance
Firing our Hookers

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
A few more games added to Game Pass for Halloween. Hello Neighbor is a Play Anywhere title also.

1540214584_xgp-2spoooky_pr-announce-hero_story.jpg