The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

spronk

FPS noob
you can technically remote play your xbox on PC but that means you are turning on an xbox and just streaming its video to your PC, thats kinda retarded and I don't really think thats "playing"

You can play xCloud games on android/IOS right now, not yet on PC. xCloud is basically using racks and racks of xbox-S's at microsoft datacenters, it'll run in browser eventually and let you play any gamepass game on most devices. Thats still kinda trash for now though imo, you are playing them on xbox S's and have a lot of latency, its basically "shitty stadia" except you have full gamepass library access (eventually) and not buying games like stadia. Sure in a pinch its a good way to access your Destiny 2 inventory or burn 15 mins of downtime but not a great way to play games

but yeah gamepass PC has only a fraction of the full gamepass library, it'll be better in 2-3 years when everything on gamepass releases on PC and xbox (all first party games release on PC now) but for now its not really parity at all

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Literally no idea why I thought you could play Xbox games on Windows 10. Must've been the remote play/streaming option.

Feels like this is my first Mandela Effect experience lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Literally no idea why I thought you could play Xbox games on Windows 10. Must've been the remote play/streaming option.

Feels like this is my first Mandela Effect experience lol.

This has been rumored to be coming for a bit, I believe an update to Windows earlier this year appeared to lay the groundwork to install an Xbox title on Windows. I don't see anything recent though (and it's hard to find much about this in the face of all the Game Pass PC related articles)

xCloud has worked really well for me, both from my console at a friends house and streamed from MS. I usually test w/ sports games where latency is really apparent. Looking forward to how the new console(s) improve on this.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Do people even download themes? I honestly don't see why they even put the time and resources into those.

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know why anyone would pay for themes, but as freebies absolutely. Would 2nd the space themes as a dark background makes it easy to read things on.

Some themes though are absurd, peach colored text on a white background

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is the HDMI cable that comes with the X1X junk? I'm getting intermittent HDMI handshake issues when watching/playing anything that's 4K and/or HDR. Screen goes black for a couple seconds, once every 5-60 minutes or so. It happened while watching Netflix (4K DV) and even when just playing Goose Game, which I assume is 4K but obviously not HDR. I swapped cables with my PS TV which had a 18Gb/s cable on it for no particular reason and haven't seen the problem since, but haven't used it for a super long time yet either.

Tried the other suggestions I've seen, like setting video output to 10 bit and making sure that YCC 4:2:2 is off. It still did it a few times after that.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Junk or not, sounds like maybe a bad cable. At least that's what I'd be hoping it is too (instead of a port, panel, console, etc).

Vorph

Yeah I hope that's it. Going to play some DMC5 tonight and see if the problem stays gone. Now that I think about it, I did have the same problem with my PS4 Pro at one point, and I can't remember for certain but I want to say that a new cable fixed it as well.

The whole thing has been an ordeal so far. I got the Gamestop $300 deal with an extra MS controller, woke up the next morning and the same deal of the day was on repeat except this time it's $250. The one bright spot is that my local GS was great about it, and let me return the empty box and rebuy it so I could get my $50 back, even though I bought it online. Then I got home and was looking at the console in my MS account online, and it's saying the warranty expired back in October. An hour of chat and several photos from my phone later, that got fixed too. And when I finally sit down to use it... bam, HDCP handshake trouble.

If it wasn't such a good deal (on top of the sale, I paid for it with gift cards I got for -20%, and this time next year I'll probably be able to trade it in on a new console for pretty much what I pad) I think I'd be having some buyer's remorse right about now. :p

spronk

FPS noob
Do you use a HDMI splitter? I had to go through like 5 of those before I found one that played nicely with my PS4, X, switch, 360. HDR, HDCP, 4k is all a big mess since HDR only activates on a game by game basis and takes up more bandwidth (afaik the PS4 and xbox dashboards themselves don't turn on HDR), and I went through 4-5 cables before I found ones I really liked. For what its worth here are the HDMI cables I ended up preferring

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FG14RJP

and the HDMI switch I find works really great

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMH9XLZ

my X settings in general / TV and display are

4k UHD
60hz
advanced / video modes
allow 50,24hz uncheck Allow YCC
allow 4k, HDR10, Dolby Vision (LG OLED)
advanced / fidelity
auto detect, 30 bits per pixel, standard color space

You also have to fuck with your TV settings to ensure its got game mode turned on (motion smoothing, processing, etc all OFF) and usually turn on HDMI handshaking and most still require you to enable "yes, this HDMI source can do HDR".

Hopefully HDMI 2.1/2.2 are way better about that stuff, I think it even has some sort of "turn on game mode" flag that automatically turns off all the extra shit when it detects a console is connected.

• 1Like

Vorph

Everything goes through my receiver (which is even newer than the TV so its ports are all fine for 4K and HDR) and the only TV port I use is the ARC one. The Pro never has handshaking issues anymore, so I don't see why the X would unless it's a Xbox setting or the cable I swapped out to a Monoprice certified one just like the Pro has.

Why did you have to turn on YCC 4:2:2? AFAIK that's a straight downgrade if you're using 10-bit video and HDR, compressed instead of full 4:4:4.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just want to chime in that Monoprice makes some quality f'n cables; they are one of my primary datacenter cabling vendors. Little bit of lead time when the orders get big, but I have only had a couple of bad cables out of well over a thousand. Solid company, that. (no I don't work for them but credit is due where it is due)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Everything goes through my receiver (which is even newer than the TV so its ports are all fine for 4K and HDR) and the only TV port I use is the ARC one. The Pro never has handshaking issues anymore, so I don't see why the X would unless it's a Xbox setting or the cable I swapped out to a Monoprice certified one just like the Pro has.

Why did you have to turn on YCC 4:2:2? AFAIK that's a straight downgrade if you're using 10-bit video and HDR, compressed instead of full 4:4:4.

HDMI bandwidth. At full 4:4:4 4K HDR (30 frames) takes 20+ Gb. HDMI 2.0 only supports up to 18.2. So you don’t have the bandwidth to push it. Wait disregard. 30 requires only 13-14.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Do people even download themes? I honestly don't see why they even put the time and resources into those.
I've had the Last of US 2 theme up that they gave out a while back. It's got a really cool music track. I downloaded this Ghosts one as well. Will check it out.