The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Maybe I’m too old, but the last thing I think console controllers need is more buttons

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
Maybe I’m too old, but the last thing I think console controllers need is more buttons

xbox-720-controller.jpeg

i agree though, i never use the paddles on my elite 2. might try out this DS4 add on thing but i would probably just not use it

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's less about having more buttons and more about the placement of those buttons. With current layouts, you only really have two thumbs and index/middle fingers to work with, and if you want to do something with the d-pad, or the right buttons, you're going to have to move your thumbs off the sticks which then removes your ability to move or control the camera for the time you have them off the sticks.

For some games, it's not an issue at all. But for third person games I find it incredibly limiting. Think playing HZD and trying to be mobile while needing to fuck around with the dpad to use an item, or needing to keep the camera on something while also needing to roll.

Part of the reason why m/kb is so much superior to controllers (beyond aiming of course) is that you can keep your movement and camera control going while you can also access a dozen keys without interruption.

Those back buttons provide an additional point of control where your hand was already resting. That's huge. Even more so if the ability to bind them to whatever you like is an option.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Why would they put an OLED screen on the back of the controller?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Why would they put an OLED screen on the back of the controller?

Screens that simple don't cost too much to produce. I am confused as to why they wouldn't just create some sort of app within the OS to let you see what you have them bound to instead of using a screen to display it though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Screens that simple don't cost too much to produce. I am confused as to why they wouldn't just create some sort of app within the OS to let you see what you have them bound to instead of using a screen to display it though.

Probably because the PS4 cannot wirelessly communicate with the controller outside of bluetooth, which is just signalling. Same reason if we want to communicate with Sony Gold/Platinum head sets we have to physically plug the headset in to be able to change out sound profiles. This was a more convenient way to do it with placing the app/control on the device itself.

(Complete speculation FYI)

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Probably because the PS4 cannot wirelessly communicate with the controller outside of bluetooth, which is just signalling. Same reason if we want to communicate with Sony Gold/Platinum head sets we have to physically plug the headset in to be able to change out sound profiles. This was a more convenient way to do it with placing the app/control on the device itself.

(Complete speculation FYI)

The console already has the capability to detect what button is being pressed. All the app would need to do is show what button its bound to when you press it to confirm what you set it to. I'm guessing they want you to be able to rebind it on the fly though, and so an on-device feedback feature was needed.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah this is almost a must for any game where you really need to be moving both sticks as you are playing. The absolute main example are the Soulsborne/Nioh style games. Or Monster Hunter even. I'm glad Sony is doing this, even though the price is steep. Although I just wish they'd just put the buttons on the back side of the controller where your middle fingers can do the talking back there.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Putting the functionality all on the controller means no software to maintain to support it, self-contained solution. That's smart. Given that, screen provides all your config options. I've never used the paddles on the Elite, if I had a PS4 I'd probably be ordering this though.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I have a hard time without the paddles since I've been using them for a few years now. I leave it set so the paddles are LB/RB, which is much more comfy to my hands.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Meh, console only for all four games coming this week. Not that I'd ever touch Life is Strange When You're a Retarded SJW, or attempt to play either Witcher 3 or Pillars of Eternity without mods (or the DLC which won't be included)... but I was kind of hoping Goose Game would skirt the Epic exclusive faggotry via Gamepass.

Supposedly Phoenix Point is finally getting its Gamepass release this week, though the game sounds like a heap of garbage in need of about another 6-12 months worth of patches before it's playable anyway.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Ordered a ps4 pro 1 TB neo versa and an extra controller.
Which is better, games from the playstation.com store or physical media? Can I install the physical media and not need the disc? Looking to have it kid friendly. Maybe also work on ps5 when it's slimmed/pro'ed. Should I get a 2gb ssd? Anything else essential?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Ordered a ps4 pro 1 TB neo versa and an extra controller.
Which is better, games from the playstation.com store or physical media? Can I install the physical media and not need the disc? Looking to have it kid friendly. Maybe also work on ps5 when it's slimmed/pro'ed. Should I get a 2gb ssd? Anything else essential?
If you install via disc you still need to put the disc in to play. As far as what’s better, I’d say it’s a mix and also depends on your playstyle. Deals for older games seem to be just as good digital as physical, but newer games rarely have digital sales as good as physical. If you’re like spronk and use GameStop and play the trade in game, physical is almost always going to come out better economically. Some people also hate how horrible it is to get up for 10 seconds and change a disc every few weeks, so if that’s you just get digital anyways.

Can’t comment on SSD since I never did that, but from what I’ve read it does speed up load times but probably not as much as you’d think.

As far as what else you need, you’ll need a PS+ sub most likely. Can get them on sale for $40-45 usually. I have a charging stand for the controllers and I like it, easy to just set it in the holder and press down and have it charge versus fumbling around finding where the cord end is.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
i put a 1TB SSD in my ps4 pro, honestly its pretty unnecessary it maybe shaves a few seconds off loads and initial starts but its nowhere near as good as a SSD in a PC. Unless you have fiber and unlimited bandwidth, its far more effective buying a 6-12TB external drive so you can keep all your games without ever having to delete. Whatever I'm playing right now I put on internal SSD, everything else is on external and I move games back and forth. You can play games off external just fine too.

I prefer physical for any single player games that are relatively short (15-40 hours) cuz I can trade it to gamestop when I'm done or give to a relative. For games that I play in spurts, like multiplayer games, digital is fantastic. Digital games tend to follow similar trends to steam, 15-20% off after 2 months, 50% after 6, 75% after a year. That cycle has shrunk a lot more.

artist mockup of Halo SEX, looks cool

UhzyvZE.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Physical will still be relevant as games get MUCH larger this next gen with stagnant 1tb caps. Expect 150-250gb size games on average next gen. What’s that about 6-7 games max, without patches and no streaming.

• 1Like