The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

spronk

FPS noob
holiday PSN sale starts tomorrow 1500 games on sale

xbox already started it yesterday but honestly with gamepass seems pointless to ever digitally buy a game on xbox, just wait and it'll be on gamepass. Goose Game is on gamepass for example and its hilarious

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
So why would you buy a new Xbox if you already have a gaming pc? Any compelling reason? Can't I play all of the XBOX games on my pc?
Forgive me if this is repetitive, but to answer the question, you can indeed; there are a however, number of advantages to playing on the Xbox over the PC that make it a compelling platform for a number of functions. I am going to own all three, Xbox Series X, PS5, and Upper end Gaming PC lord willing but there are any number of times I want to play with friends who used to be PC gamers and with my limited times these days one of the primary reasons for me to play on the XBOX, I would rather not spend two hours troubleshooting their home networks or their video drivers to play a game with them. If everyone owns an XBOX, I can tell them what to buy and within minutes we are all playing and enjoying ourselves with close to PC gaming experiences, if not better without them dropping $1K on their rigs (and the resulting consultancy and heartache that would entail). Also, the bug testing is better, everything seems to be made for the consoles and then ported to PC (although much less of a concern than it used to be I guess a decade ago /old), the control schemes are more standardized, many people are better able to take advantage of better comfort in their play settings (all of my consoles/PC are at my desk, so no change for me). You miss out on a number of things as well, and certainly that list could be shaded the other way as well but the comment wasn't directed towards PC users but rather "why would you own an XBOX?"

I would be just fine with doing that on PS5s instead of XBOXs but it seems like more of my folks are more likely to be Team Xbox. I will never stop recommending that everyone have both mainline consoles, though, as well as a PC and a Switch too. In for a penny, in for 3 or 4K, I say. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than fishing or shooting as hobbies, that's for sure.

Curses on the first studio that drops a 250GB game and a pox on their houses, Ut. We just aren't there yet in any space where that is acceptable. It better make Chris Roberts' level promises and deliver like Kevin Feige for that much space on-disk.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Only reason for an Xbox sex is if you really want game pass but don’t like playing on PC. If you aren’t doing game pass or it isn’t a compelling reason for you, then there isn’t really a logical reason to get an Xbox. It seems like cross play for multiplats is coming sooner rather than later, so that part shouldn’t matter.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Only reason for an Xbox sex is if you really want game pass but don’t like playing on PC. If you aren’t doing game pass or it isn’t a compelling reason for you, then there isn’t really a logical reason to get an Xbox. It seems like cross play for multiplats is coming sooner rather than later, so that part shouldn’t matter.

Beg to differ. Home entertainment.

Xbox One X supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision HDR. 4k Player. Disney + app also supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision HDR.

I am a huge audio/videophile - and a purist when it comes to home theater. One of those is lossless sound from a 4k Blu-Ray disc. The only shame right now about the Xbox One X is that the 4k player doesn't support Dolby Vision yet, probably won't ever. I suppose if I wanted to go really nuts I would cap off the theater area with a Blu-Ray player capable of DV, but my wife would kill me at this point.

With that said, the Video rental market if you have not tried it yet for Xbox Marketplace is above and beyond anything else out there. 4k HDR (Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos) rentals. (I do not pirate movies or TV - not that I have anything against it, I just don't care to do the extra leg work when my wife and I are scrolling through a movie to watch and instantly just get it popped up. )

So aside from gaming, it is a very good set top content delivery service for Netflix, Hulu, Disney + and the 4k player. Gamepass is easy to get for three years at 80% off the price and honestly I am about to cancel my gamefly service because everything sooner or later hits Gamepass or wait for a sale and my backlog is the size of Peter North's sperm count anyway.

So really, multiple reasons.

But with that said, as far as gaming only? You can either plug your PC into a 4k TV, or if you don't want the hassle of a keyboard/mouse control on the couch/switch to a controller, Xbox One X for the exclusives (Which are pretty much dogshit anyway at this moment)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Disney + app also supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision HDR.
Disney+ "HDR" is peak brightness of 200 (Mandalorian) - 400 nits. It's so fake that even a Rockstar dev would cringe at it.

Personally I'd rather stick with my Roku for streaming. All I lose is Atmos for Netflix, which imo is a gimmick for anything but actual Blu-rays anyway, but I gain vastly superior support for Plex. Both Xbox and PS are complete garbage for streaming stuff off of a NAS of your own compared to Roku (no DTS support, terrible support for x.265/10bit/HDR/TrueHD/Atmos files, usually have to transcode anything but the most vanilla x.264, etc.).

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Beg to differ. Home entertainment.

Xbox One X supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision HDR. 4k Player. Disney + app also supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision HDR.

I am a huge audio/videophile - and a purist when it comes to home theater. One of those is lossless sound from a 4k Blu-Ray disc. The only shame right now about the Xbox One X is that the 4k player doesn't support Dolby Vision yet, probably won't ever. I suppose if I wanted to go really nuts I would cap off the theater area with a Blu-Ray player capable of DV, but my wife would kill me at this point.

With that said, the Video rental market if you have not tried it yet for Xbox Marketplace is above and beyond anything else out there. 4k HDR (Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos) rentals. (I do not pirate movies or TV - not that I have anything against it, I just don't care to do the extra leg work when my wife and I are scrolling through a movie to watch and instantly just get it popped up. )

So aside from gaming, it is a very good set top content delivery service for Netflix, Hulu, Disney + and the 4k player. Gamepass is easy to get for three years at 80% off the price and honestly I am about to cancel my gamefly service because everything sooner or later hits Gamepass or wait for a sale and my backlog is the size of Peter North's sperm count anyway.

So really, multiple reasons.

But with that said, as far as gaming only? You can either plug your PC into a 4k TV, or if you don't want the hassle of a keyboard/mouse control on the couch/switch to a controller, Xbox One X for the exclusives (Which are pretty much dogshit anyway at this moment)
We are talking about next gen, and right now we don’t know the details on things like home entertainment support. So yeah if it ends up supporting something you want that PS5 doesn’t and it would double as a replacement for some other device that you would be buying, then it’s a consideration.

• 1Like

Vorph

That's true. Xbox/LG exclusivity deal for Atmos on Netflix expired a while back. Other console/streaming hardware companies just don't care enough to bother adding support for it on their current hardware, but it's pretty likely that anything released next fall will have it. There's essentially zero chance of either Xbox or PS ever having decent support for Plex/DLNA though. That ship sailed with the original Xbox and PS3, and they have a vested interest in making it annoying to use their consoles for in-home streaming, whether legal rips or pirate downloads.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
We are talking about next gen, and right now we don’t know the details on things like home entertainment support. So yeah if it ends up supporting something you want that PS5 doesn’t and it would double as a replacement for some other device that you would be buying, then it’s a consideration.

Oops sorry I should have read that better. I thought we were talking about an Xbox One S/X.

Yeah in that case, for Series X, based on what the PS5 can do, unless one is already tied in on a 3 year gamepass sub (Like me) there isn't a real hard reason to get it unless you want the new shiny. Unless for some reason the PS5 comes out without a lot of the support we want from Dolby Atmos and DV. You have to pay Dolby a license to be able to use that, and Sony might pull a Nintendo and nope out.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Oops sorry I should have read that better. I thought we were talking about an Xbox One S/X.

Yeah in that case, for Series X, based on what the PS5 can do, unless one is already tied in on a 3 year gamepass sub (Like me) there isn't a real hard reason to get it unless you want the new shiny. Unless for some reason the PS5 comes out without a lot of the support we want from Dolby Atmos and DV. You have to pay Dolby a license to be able to use that, and Sony might pull a Nintendo and nope out.
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they skimped on the entertainment aspect. Shit, the ps4 pro can’t even play 4k blu ray

• 1Like

Vorph

That's the thing though. You can skimp on stuff like DV and Atmos when you already decided not to put a 4K Blu-ray in the machine. Once you commit to 4K BR (which the PS5 has) you pretty much have to license all that other stuff too. Even if Sony hasn't learned from that mistake (and I would be surprised if their bean counters even consider it a mistake, seeing as 4K BR discs weren't exactly flying off the shelves this gen) they're railroaded into it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That would be my expectation too but can't really assume, ever try and play an audio CD in a PS4?

Vorph

So, I'm an idiot and bought an x1x today because I got sick of missing every x1s deal. Really only wanted it for the 4k br, but I guess I convinced myself that there's enough gamepass games not on pc to get an x.

Anyway, storage.... Do I buy a 1tb external ssd or a 2tb internal firecuda sshd like I have in my Pro? Difference is negligible on ps4, not sure if x actually has decent enough disk io to warrant the ssd. It's about $100 either way too.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I thought you could play the Xbox games on game pass, on PC? Anyone care to fill me in?

Xbox Gold - online play, monthly games to claim, own forever.
Xbox Game Pass - a catalog of games to play as long as your subscription is active
Xbox Game Pass for PC - a different catalog of games available for PC as long as your subscription is active
Xbox Ultimate - all of the above.

All first party Microsoft titles are to be released on Game Pass for both PC and Console.

So, I'm an idiot and bought an x1x today because I got sick of missing every x1s deal. Really only wanted it for the 4k br, but I guess I convinced myself that there's enough gamepass games not on pc to get an x.

Anyway, storage.... Do I buy a 1tb external ssd or a 2tb internal firecuda sshd like I have in my Pro? Difference is negligible on ps4, not sure if x actually has decent enough disk io to warrant the ssd. It's about $100 either way too.

I'd just get one of the WD Passport-style externals, I've got a couple 2-4 TB drives, whatever was on sale at the time and don't require an external power source.

Vorph

I'd just get one of the WD Passport-style externals, I've got a couple 2-4 TB drives, whatever was on sale at the time and don't require an external power source.
I'm not really worried about capacity, just speed.

Now that I'm home and have had time to read about the X1X disk subsystem while the thing updates, sounds like an external SSD is the way to go (unless I want to bother getting an enclosure for the FireCuda, which I do not). I didn't realize you're not supposed to change the internal drive on X1 at all.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Some games aren't available on the PC game pass due to them being console only games, but also others presumably due to licensing issues.

This makes feel insane now lol. I thought if you had Ultimate Game Pass you could still play the "Xbox" games on PC, through Microsoft's Xbox/Live app or something?

I have Ultimate Game Pass.