The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You're missing playback on 4K blu rays, which Sony lacked last generation, even though it's their fucking format. Of course the popularity of physical media is waning, but it's still significant.
Sure, but the X1X (and S) was a 4K BR player with marginal image quality and no support for Dolby Vision, so it was still almost as much of a disappointment as the 1080p player in the PS4 Pro. People who really care about physical media buy standalone players, full stop. Maybe Series X will finally get it all right though, who knows.

It won't, because it's still a Jap console made with tiny Jap hands in mind.
If only MS could figure out where the left stick and dpad are supposed to go. :(

• 1WTF
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
If only MS could figure out where the left stick and dpad are supposed to go. :(
giphy.gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
giphy.gif

I mean controllers for people with meathooks and controllers for people with dainty butterfly grips?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Microsoft's naming convention for Xbox is so fucking retarded. Can never remember what the current generation is named.

Xbox Series F

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
If I remember right, the xbox360 was technically "better" (and easier to develop for) than the PS3, but the PS3 has leagues better exclusives so people ended up buying more PS3s. I think this is going to be similar; Microsoft has a trash exclusive library for the most part, and that really hurts them even when they get the hardware right. At least there's no auto-kinect nonsense this generation. I mean, was the PS4 from a hardware perspective better than the XboxOne? Nope! But it still sold gangbusters comparatively. Microsoft is going to need to continue to just throw buckets of cash at developers for the exclusivity periods to keep competitive, regardless of how good their media features are.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Doesn't matter if Xbox has dolby sound. They will still have shit for games.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
If I remember right, the xbox360 was technically "better" (and easier to develop for) than the PS3, but the PS3 has leagues better exclusives so people ended up buying more PS3s. I think this is going to be similar; Microsoft has a trash exclusive library for the most part, and that really hurts them even when they get the hardware right. At least there's no auto-kinect nonsense this generation. I mean, was the PS4 from a hardware perspective better than the XboxOne? Nope! But it still sold gangbusters comparatively. Microsoft is going to need to continue to just throw buckets of cash at developers for the exclusivity periods to keep competitive, regardless of how good their media features are.

360 and ps3 sales were virtually identical, at the end of their cycle both had sold 77m units with PS3 selling like 2000 more units. By 2017 PS3 had sold 87.4m units and 360 had sold 84m units. I don't think the 360 sold at all in Japan though.

PS4/xbox was no contest though, PS4 is over 107m units and Xbox One is estimated under 50m units.

and yeah, ps3 was a bitch to develop for, their custom chip was nuts but it was really the optimization phase that took so long. Both systems still use completely different rendering engines, although since most devs use something like Unreal Engine or Unity its a lot less important now.

itll be awesome to finally have PS5 specs out in the open, i am super curious which is actually more powerful, series X or PS5. and yeah, fuck xbox for these shitty console names

Szlia

Question : Dolby Atmos is a sound encoding that is used for both multi-speakers setups and pseudo-3D algorithms for headphones ?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Question : Dolby Atmos is a sound encoding that is used for both multi-speakers setups and pseudo-3D algorithms for headphones ?
Yes. It's the type of surround sound that uses ceiling speakers (or "elevation" speakers that bounce sound off the ceiling, but that's generally just used by people who aren't allowed to mount stuff on walls or ceiling in an apartment). Whether or not it actually does anything that normal 7.1 can't depends entirely on the room you're using it in.

Never heard headphone "surround" that wasn't a bullshit gimmick, and I doubt Atmos is any different there.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yes. It's the type of surround sound that uses ceiling speakers (or "elevation" speakers that bounce sound off the ceiling, but that's generally just used by people who aren't allowed to mount stuff on walls or ceiling in an apartment). Whether or not it actually does anything that normal 7.1 can't depends entirely on the room you're using it in.

Never heard headphone "surround" that wasn't a bullshit gimmick, and I doubt Atmos is any different there.
The 360 Reality sound in my Sony wh-1000xm3 is actually pretty amazing.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
My group still sticks with Xbox solely because XBL is still a better experience than whatever sony has. This new iteration is even better and the financing is pretty insane value-wise, breaks down to be cheaper to get the combo than them separate. However we're a bunch who rarely touches SP games which is Sony's strong point, so the system just doesnt appeal in the end. Plus dualshock controller is still a piece of shit, and they may change with the new DS5.
I will admit I haven’t done much multiplayer gaming for awhile, but is that really still the case? I know like a decade ago it was, but I really didn’t think there was much difference at this point (except maybe download speeds which is kind of irrelevant with auto downloads anyways). I played a lot of Destiny a few years ago and never had any problem with Sony’s online services.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I will admit I haven’t done much multiplayer gaming for awhile, but is that really still the case? I know like a decade ago it was, but I really didn’t think there was much difference at this point (except maybe download speeds which is kind of irrelevant with auto downloads anyways). I played a lot of Destiny a few years ago and never had any problem with Sony’s online services.
Yeah man MP is still king on Xbox and XBL is still the best. Yeah they suck balls for 1st party exclusives but I’ve never bought a console with that in mind since I don’t do many SP games.

also DualShock sucks and saying it’s same as Xbox is heresy.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah man MP is still king on Xbox and XBL is still the best. Yeah they suck balls for 1st party exclusives but I’ve never bought a console with that in mind since I don’t do many SP games.

also DualShock sucks and saying it’s same as Xbox is heresy.
In what way though? How is online MP different on PS vs XBL?

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
In what way though? How is online MP different on PS vs XBL?

The overall experience is just more complete. I prefer the UI of the Xbox and it’s not as drab and more appealing. Like I said the PS4 has better single player games but for MP games I enjoy the overall look and feel of the Xbox and Xbox live. I do always buy all systems except Nintendo but I do play the PS4 about 1/10th the amount of the Xbox mainly because we play all the big MP titles there together.

spronk

FPS noob
i've played MP on both a ton and there is no real difference in MP between the two. They both have party functions, party voice/text chat, joining games from within party, good headset/volume/muting support, etc.

It really comes down to individual games, for example call of duty is best on PS4 because Sony made exclusive deals so they have 7-30 day early access to stuff in game, some exclusive items, etc. Division 1 & 2 has a similar deal but on xbox's side over PS4.

I vastly prefer my xbox elite 2 controller over dualshock 4 but again, after 5 mins i don't really notice a huge difference. For weeks at a time I'll play 1 hour of xbox, 2 hours of PS4, then an hour of switch and you get used to the change immediately.

To me there are five big differences

- the PS4 UI is far snappier than xbox, which is still a gigantic piece of slow ass shit. maybe RTX will fix it
- xbox one lets you install games from disc then convert to digital later and same install, PS4 requires you to delete and redownload if you do this (not a big deal anymore, i rarely buy physical)
- PS4 lets you eject discs from menu, xbox requires you to press console button
- PS4 lets you granularly control saves and move them around as backups (online or USB), xbox keeps it all hidden. never had a problem, but if it ever corrupts anything... you are fucked. for multiplayer games won't really matter
- I swapped my PS4 Pro's internal drive with an SSD, for Xbox i'd have to attach an external SSD (SSD not worth it for ps4/xb, will be great for next gen)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users