The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Szlia

Quaid Quaid the Super Nintendo (Europe) and Super Famicom (Japan) have this shape. The angular shape of the Super NES (and of its cartridges) is a US thing, as are the controllers with the fingers killing concave buttons.

spronk

FPS noob
wtf kinda busted ass snes is that?

i dunno i was a pc master gamer in the 90s

90s.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
78D7BD4C-BBE7-4C4A-9968-CB77AFA5B708.jpeg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Xbox and Dolby redefine next-gen gaming
With support for Dolby Atmos® games at launch and Dolby Vision® games coming in 2021, the Xbox Series X and Series S will be the first consoles ever to enable gaming in both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.​

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know if you do the lease thing if it adds on to existing game pass time? I did the buy cheap gold than convert the 3 years to ultimate for a dollar thing. One of those if it adds on it will save a bit of money so why not but if not will just buy flat out.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I feel Sony assumed Xbox would be 599 - they planned to release price thursday then MS just went "gotcha!" and they announced nothing. I Feel the PS5 will be like 549 or something and they cant figure out how to get it to 499 w/o some unexpected loss.

Furthermore f 2020 because all this shit would have been known in June but all this pussyfooting till 2 months before release is stupid

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I feel Sony assumed Xbox would be 599 - they planned to release price thursday then MS just went "gotcha!" and they announced nothing. I Feel the PS5 will be like 549 or something and they cant figure out how to get it to 499 w/o some unexpected loss.

Furthermore f 2020 because all this shit would have been known in June but all this pussyfooting till 2 months before release is stupid
More and more it seems likely Sony screwed the pooch a bit on the hardware side (at least compared to Microsoft). They are lucky that they can still ride the wave of their first party titles.

Even if the xsex is a bit more powerful I think Sony could match the price and do just fine. The argument would be a (likely) minor performance hit but with a much stronger exclusive lineup at the same price is reasonable. It becomes less reasonable if you then have to rationalize paying more for worse hardware.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Hardware is a loss lead that most do not care about save Nintendo who still goes to market with hardware on margin in mind.

Both MS and Sony are concentrated on the base/market install and know it will be made up over software licensing in spades with the more they get.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not taking the biggest margin loss on physical hardware is considered "losing their edge" these days.

You're lucky Apple isn't making a console, people would lap that shit up for $1200.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I think cost alone was estimated to be 450 range on the PS5 without logistics. I cannot imagine MS's console is not equal or more. MS continually runs on the trojan horse theory though and they can reflect the market on Gamepass/ultimate subs and live services where they are most likely outshining PS here.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Sony's made that mistake before, iirc at one point PS3 had lost them so much money early on that it consumed practically all the profits from the PS2 era. Attributed in part to it being the cheapest Blu-ray player so the game attach rate was ass.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Series S won’t even be able to play XboneX version of games, only XBoneS versions with some improvements like HDR and improved frame rates. Wonder how much it would have cost them to put 12gb if RAM in there, or if that is even the only reason it can’t run XBoneX versions.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Series S won’t even be able to play XboneX version of games, only XBoneS versions with some improvements like HDR and improved frame rates. Wonder how much it would have cost them to put 12gb if RAM in there, or if that is even the only reason it can’t run XBoneX versions.

Wow, so they made a 'cheap' console superior to the X1X in every way then gimped the whole thing to save the cost of 2GB of RAM? Even if changing the RAM config had bumped the cost to 349 it still seems like they'd have to be retarded not to go that route.

On the bright side, I would never buy a Series S anyway and I was worried that my X would be completely gutted in trade/sale value due to the $299 price tag, but maybe that's not the case now.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I mean, that makes sense, doesn't it? One X titles typically target a higher resolution than the entire concept the Series S is built around. Will make for some interesting analysis/comparisons closer to release.

Malkav

French Madman
I'm pretty sure the RAM is not the limiting factor here, but the scaled down GPU which must be way easier to get good yields for AMD and thus cost way less to MS.

Edit: duh ,did not realize we were talking about backward compatible games, thought we were talking about Series X enhancements on the Series S.