The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

spronk

FPS noob

P5 Royale at $20, Maneater at $13, and 13 Sentinels at $30 are great deals. I'm playing 13 sentinels now and 100% recommend it, great japanese anime game thats heavy on the sci fi story, a little light x-com style combat but its pretty easy and trivial

WD Legions is already $30 but im not sure i can really recommend that game, its ok is the most faint praise you can give it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Probably a stupid question:

Thinking about grabbing an ultra-wide 1440p monitor. Currently I have my ps4 hooked up to that, and it will probably be that way for 4 or 5 more months. How shitty is that gonna look? Guessing it will try to upscale from 1080p to 1440p, or down to 1440p from 4k?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It'll upscale from 1080p as I understand it, and probably not look too great.

• 1Tiresome

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Probably a stupid question:

Thinking about grabbing an ultra-wide 1440p monitor. Currently I have my ps4 hooked up to that, and it will probably be that way for 4 or 5 more months. How shitty is that gonna look? Guessing it will try to upscale from 1080p to 1440p, or down to 1440p from 4k?

Neogaf has a thread on this issue.

I am no expert but there might be issues with HDMI 1.4 vs 2.0 and DP cables.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
PS5 does not output in 1440p at the moment, only 1080p or 4k

xbox is fine on 1440p

ultrawide will not look great. I have a Alienware 34" 3440x1440 on my PC and i guess could hook my PS5 to it, but pretty sure it'll output at a stretched 1080p and look weird

Defiance

<Bronze Donator>
There is currently a buy two get one free game deal at Target. I picked up Valhalla, COD and Cyberpunk for the Series X.

spronk

FPS noob
black friday ad for target

nothing crazy Tony Hawk 1+2, FF7R, Star Wars Squadron, JFO $25. Crash4/Ghosts/Wash Dogs 3 $40. TLOU2 $30

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Much like the rest of 2020, Black Friday is going to be a massive disappointment

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At this point I can't remember a Black Friday that wasn't a disappointment. Same goes for Steam sales and Prime Day.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
PS5 does not output in 1440p at the moment, only 1080p or 4k

xbox is fine on 1440p

ultrawide will not look great. I have a Alienware 34" 3440x1440 on my PC and i guess could hook my PS5 to it, but pretty sure it'll output at a stretched 1080p and look weird
Spronk, do you have the AW3420DW (or 18DW)? Really debating on buying one right now...

Just curious if it is even remotely doable to play anything PS4 related on that monitor. I currently have some first gen 29" LG Ultrawide at 1080p, and honestly everything looks perfectly fine so far. Little worried by the 1440p resolution though.

Vorph

Spronk, do you have the AW3420DW (or 18DW)? Really debating on buying one right now...

Just curious if it is even remotely doable to play anything PS4 related on that monitor. I currently have some first gen 29" LG Ultrawide at 1080p, and honestly everything looks perfectly fine so far. Little worried by the 1440p resolution though.
Not only is 1440p a bad idea for PS5 because it can only upscale 1080p and not supersample 4K, Alienware monitors are Gsync, not Freesync, which makes them even worse for consoles (doubly so since you're paying the ridiculous Nvidia tax for something you can't even use).

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Not only is 1440p a bad idea for PS5 because it can only upscale 1080p and not supersample 4K, Alienware monitors are Gsync, not Freesync, which makes them even worse for consoles (doubly so since you're paying the ridiculous Nvidia tax for something you can't even use).

Yeah for sure -- The monitor won't be for the PS4/PS5 full-time. It's just in my very present situation (for the next few months), I'm trying to keep space down so I was hoping to continue using the console with a monitor. I know it's certainly not ideal.

The monitor is primarily going to be used for PC gaming, but it was something I was just curious about.

Vorph

Yeah for sure -- The monitor won't be for the PS4/PS5 full-time. It's just in my very present situation (for the next few months), I'm trying to keep space down so I was hoping to continue using the console with a monitor. I know it's certainly not ideal.

The monitor is primarily going to be used for PC gaming, but it was something I was just curious about.
Well, as long as there's a scaling option that maintains aspect ratio it should work ok as a temporary solution.

spronk

FPS noob

yeah i have the aw3418DW, its last years model but i think its still basically the same. Excellent monitor, 3440x1440, 120hz, gSync, IPS panel so fantastic colors. Only thing it lacks is HDR support. I've never tested it with my consoles since I have an LG OLED for those. If I was gonna replace it, I was looking at the Samsung G9 or an LG OLED 48" to get all the current features plus HDR.

The only PC game that threw me for a loop was Sekiro, it doesn't like ultra wide mode and does that stupid shit where the sides of the monitor are black, like letterboxing in movies. There are mods and stuff you can get to force those kinda games to do "real" ultrawide, but I honestly hate fucking with that shit since you end up spending hours tweaking stuff instead of just playing.

Otherwise most of the other games I've tried have been perfectly fine at ultrawide 3440x1440, but for the past six months I've pretty much just games on consoles and use my PC as a glorified web browser/discord.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I Have the AW3420DW and it’s freaking awesome. Sorry have never used it with a consoles but I know It’s going to be 1080p with a PS4 as it only has hdmi 1.4. You need a DP cable for 1440p

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Cool, well I just bought one. Absolutely can't wait to game on it. I'll definitely report back on how shitty it looks for consoles lol.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Went to the mall across from my office today for lunch and to shoot the shit with my buddy at EB Game.

turned the corner to see the store totally closed down and being dismantled.

my buddy the manager says they were told Nov 5th about the store closing Nov 15th.
Sucks to look for new jobs, but he already had an interview. 3 days after PS5 release they pull the pin. Ouch. Glad I liquidated my trade credit In sept. Only have $10 left. The closest EB is now two towns over...

Then some dude offered me $1200 for my Ps5 so I sold the fucker. I can wait really liking AC V on my PC.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
kyFcXTf.jpg

• 1Worf