The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Forbin_sl

shitlord
I'd not be so absolute about everything you've seen so far with no disc compatibility for PS4 from PS3 since the 4 cross gen launch day titles ARE allowing the discs to be used for a PSN copy of those games on PS4 - so they're obviously toying with things to some degree.
The ps3 cross gen titles have nothing to do with a disc, with every copy of the ps3 version you buy you get a download code for the ps4 version.
Inside marked copies of Battlefield 4 for PlayStation?3 there will be a voucher with a unique code printed on it. This code will allow you the one-time opportunity until March 28, 2014 to purchase a digital version of Battlefield 4 via the PlayStation?Store for only $9.99/?9.99/9.99?. Check back here soon for more details.
Next-Gen Upgrades - Battlefield 4 Wiki Guide - IGN

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd not be so absolute about everything you've seen so far with no disc compatibility for PS4 from PS3 since the 4 cross gen launch day titles ARE allowing the discs to be used for a PSN copy of those games on PS4 - so they're obviously toying with things to some degree.
It doesn't matter if you have a disc of a PS3 game or a download, it won't work on the PS4. Those games have to be recoded to work on the new hardware and coming from cell isn't an easy process. Nobody is going to do that for free, hence Gaikai, no need to port the games.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm aware they won't literally work but for the PSN code thing you still have to keep the PS3 disc to boot the game - which does give them some leeway in using the same system for other converted games or Gaikai otherwise.

Since it absolutely says you need to keep the disc in the officially how to its got some possible implications for them that otherwise it wouldn't have. Just possible ones though - might be a test for my theories, might not be.

Remember this line of discussion started with the guy bitching he bought GTA5 physical since he THINKS Gaikai/conversions will only be tied to PSN copies - he's the one I was primarily answering. Disc matters for the release PS4 upgrades so might for other things later maybe.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Once again, why would a company that only cares about profit go through the trouble of porting an old game and then give it to you for free?

Gaikai will probably be subscription based, subscribe and have access to the entire library.

Vaclav

Perhaps but PS3 disc read is clearly a theoretical method as well until we see more.

I don't know about you but I didn't expect the PS4 to recognize PS3 discs at all before the 'upgrade' PSN DL thing was explained with 'no backwards ccompatibility'

I'm sure most would be Gaikaied but keep in mind none of us know the conversions involved in that vs PSN porting. It might be simple it might be rough.

And my expectation on Gaikaied cost is that it'll be a PS+ benefit.

Forbin_sl

shitlord
Perhaps but PS3 disc read is clearly a theoretical method as well until we see more.

I don't know about you but I didn't expect the PS4 to recognize PS3 discs at all before the 'upgrade' PSN DL thing was explained with 'no backwards ccompatibility'

I'm sure most would be Gaikaied but keep in mind none of us know the conversions involved in that vs PSN porting. It might be simple it might be rough.

And my expectation on Gaikaied cost is that it'll be a PS+ benefit.
I wasn't sure if you were being clear before but now i am, no where does it say you need the ps3 disc to play the game on the ps4 version,once againit gives you a code with purchase of the game to download the ps4 version for a additional 10$.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I wasn't sure if you were being clear before but now i am, no where does it say you need the ps3 disc to play the game on the ps4 version,once againit gives you a code with purchase of the game to download the ps4 version for a additional 10$.
This. It lets you buy the digital PS4 version on the cheap. You can then play that game like you do any other PSN downloaded game(ie: without any disc).

Szlia

It's one thing for the PS4 to check the header file of a PS3 BluRay game disk to allow you to play the downloaded PS4 version of the same title and it's another completely to run the code that is on said PS3 disk.

Vaclav

On mobile now but unless they changed them the instructions when they first announced included an asterisk that stated keeping the PS3 disc to boot was necessary - I'll hunt it up when I'm back on my PC in a few...

Sz: Obviously true - just I'd taken it as them not even bothering with that (no reason to allow it before this announcement)

Vaclav

http://m.us.playstation.com/digitalupgrade/managed to cut and paste on the phone after all - but follow the instruction details and it says its required to have the PS3 disc still.

Step 4: Insert the PS3T game disc into your PS4T system**.

**PS3T game disc required to play digital version of the game on your PS4T system.
Editted to add the quote to save people time.

Vaclav

obviously - people were implying that the $10 upgrade code didn't care if you had the disc anymore or not - which it does.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
obviously - people were implying that the $10 upgrade code didn't care if you had the disc anymore or not - which it does.
But everyone was thinking you were saying it was going to run code, it is not going to. It is just going to utilize a PS4 app to look at the disc.

Vaclav

If they were thinking that, they're a goof I clearly said "PSN copy"....

I'd not be so absolute about everything you've seen so far with no disc compatibility for PS4 from PS3 since the 4 cross gen launch day titles ARE allowing the discs to be used for aPSN copy of those games on PS4- so they're obviously toying with things to some degree.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Bestbuy restocked their xbone preorders, had a few friends manage to order theirs today. However having dealt with many customer complaints i can assure you that they are taking more orders than supply they will have and if you arent getting it that night or within the first few hours from them you may end up fucked.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Not sure if anyone can answer this but Xbox is touting this dedicated server etc for Xbox live. How is that going to be effective in places like Australia? Will Microsoft have servers in Australia they use? Or will I have to play CoD from American servers? Or will people have to create servers and get them approved by Microsoft in Australia?

Elerion

N00b
I can't believe they aren't focusing more on the details and advantages of that system in their marketing. It must either mean it's not as great as their original announcement made it sound, or they're just stupid when it comes to marketing.

If they can reliably provide quality, worldwide dedicated server hosting for all (major) Xbox One titles, that should be their number one talking point every time they mention the new console. That should be front and center in all their communication. It's not. Why?

Vaclav

Because its not system unique.... PS4 is doing it too and on the same servers I think....

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if anyone can answer this but Xbox is touting this dedicated server etc for Xbox live. How is that going to be effective in places like Australia? Will Microsoft have servers in Australia they use? Or will I have to play CoD from American servers? Or will people have to create servers and get them approved by Microsoft in Australia?
This has always been up to the publisher, never the console manufacturer. The way Activision phrased it, they are having a hybrid. Which means technology will look out to see which connection is best. This way they can make about 6 dedicated servers and the rest will be peer to peer due to "listening" technology to pick the right server for the best experience.

Another way to scam.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Looks like I am doing a complete 180, I am going from not buying anything to getting the Xbone. Where do you guys suggest I preorder this late in the game?