The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Sean_sl

shitlord
Sean: News embargo play a part in this one. The fear of losing access if they piss in Microsoft cheerios is also a possibility (with or without threats from Microsoft).
The biggest part is the "games media" as a whole having a complete lack of Journalistic Integrity and fear of losing their free shit. Trying to stop people from reporting shit that is very clearly out in the wild already is nonsense.

And just look at that shit in the Metro interview where a real interviewer (from an actual news site and not just a games site) actually pushed Mark Rubin on the Xbone/PS4 differences, it's bullshit that a developer "can't" talk about that shit when it's all publicly known stuff.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Also, it'll be a cold day in hell when I take offence to a fucking American mocking my Canadian heritage lol. Try harder, eh.
It's offense. I am tired of you Canadians butchering my English language. While I am at it it's also called "I am goingtheUniversity, or Going toaUniversity" not "Going to University". It's also "I stayed in the hospital" not.. "I was in Hospital".... You fucking Eskimo.

Aside from that I agree with you. The difference between 720p and 1080p is huge, and anyone that cannot see that is blind. In all seriousness it's Microsoft trying to downplay their mishaps.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kept going over it and over it and over it - and realized every single game I really care about through most of 2014 except The Order 1886 is going to be cross gen. Cancelled it for now, probably get one in the Spring with a second in the Summer or Fall for the wife. (Thief, DA:Inq, Watch Dogs, AC4, couple others too but all cross gen...)

Probably hunt one down after we move though with the move on our horizon.

Sean_sl

shitlord
No Infamous Second Son for you? That game looks amazing. Also I could never buy a cross-gen game on the X360/PS3 once the PS4 releases. If you were buying them on the PC it'd be one thing, but it seems like you aren't.

Vaclav

No Infamous Second Son for you? That game looks amazing. Also I could never buy a cross-gen game on the X360/PS3 once the PS4 releases. If you were buying them on the PC it'd be one thing, but it seems like you aren't.
Some I may - and never played any of the early Infamous' yet - they're on my "to play" backlog (although not owned yet) but not played them to date. [Frankly they looked like "Prototype" to me never playing them, and Prototype was... meh... to me]

Hell, still never played about a dozen things I went out of the way to purchase on the backlog. (first two Batman games haven't been played yet, neither Team Ico game, AC1/2/Bloodlines, are just a few examples of "owned but never played" stuff I paid $$ for, not even talking PS+ freebies)

Heck, Spring is when most of the "round two" of stuff starts coming out anyways, until Spring there's literally AC4 that I'd grab if we were dealing with a full library for my confidence in stuff - and found out that Redbox won't be doing PS4 stuff until late December/January for my territory in the past couple days as well (and X1 even later) - so "testing" stuff except with the 1 hr PS+ thing that I HATE is a no go. I'll probably still get 99% on PS4, I'll probably even get most of those crossgen titles I'm mentioning on PS4 (except maybe DA:Inq - hopefully there's a demo for PC + console, because of it's history of being weighted towards each way for 1 and 2 - course knowing me and Bioware, I'll probably end up owning it on both, own ME and DA saga on PC and PS3 besides skipping DLC on PC) - but I can't justify it to myself right this second for so few games at the immediate moment.

Don't get me wrong, it's a heavy want - I'll be getting it "soon" (probably "sooner" than just "soon" if the normal tagging thing trick doesn't work with PS4 titles on PS+ if you don't have a PS4 yet though) - but I just can't justify it to myself this month.

Might be getting a 3DS again though, which is part of what was weighing so heavily against it - seeing $200 more for something only usable at home (and with our recent health we're out.... A TON...) and one game... versus the 3DS library which is goddam ridiculous these days when you count the backwards compatible stuff.

Column_sl

shitlord
Panzer Dragoon, and Killer Instinct are the only things i'm going to miss by not getting a X box. Hoping they move those over to the other platforms.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Some I may - and never played any of the early Infamous' yet - they're on my "to play" backlog (although not owned yet) but not played them to date. [Frankly they looked like "Prototype" to me never playing them, and Prototype was... meh... to me]

Might be getting a 3DS again though, which is part of what was weighing so heavily against it - seeing $200 more for something only usable at home (and with our recent health we're out.... A TON...) and one game... versus the 3DS library which is goddam ridiculous these days when you count the backwards compatible stuff.
You should definitely get a 3DS, I am picking one up on November 22nd when the Zelda 3DS XL comes out and I cannot wait, there are a bunch of games I want to play on it.

You're missing out by not having played the inFamous games. They are nothing like Prototype when you actually play them, even if they're very superficially the same. inFamous's story and characters are a lot better for one, but the gameplay also "feels" a lot different. inFamous feels like it has a lot more "finesse" to it and the movement is amazing once you get your movement based powers. Prototype feels more like raw, visceral power - it's a big, charging bull. Playing both of them ends up being a very different experience.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Microsoft apparently sending out what amounts to free copies of Killer Instinct.Hey, it's something huh. I genuinely hope Microsoft is able to dig themselves out of this mess. It would only mean more competition for Sony, which always ends up benefiting the consumer.
In all seriousness now, Microsoft, not Sony, is the sole company to learn at this point as their world crumbles around them. They have been paralyzed forever, and this console launch is a direct result of complacency in the market and being completely out of touch with it's consumer base. Microsoft isn't going to challenge Sony to do a thing. Sony just taught Microsoft how they should have originally designed their plan. The days of Microsoft ever being a leader again are gone for good. This is what happens when you put an old Microsoft TV group in front of a next gen console trying to rehash their forward thinking (from 1996) into a flooded device market.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Microsoft apparently sending out what amounts to free copies of Killer Instinct.Hey, it's something huh. I genuinely hope Microsoft is able to dig themselves out of this mess. It would only mean more competition for Sony, which always ends up benefiting the consumer.
Yeah, I got one of those emails today. Shame I won't be able to use it. If it doesn't require an Xbone to redeem I might take advantage of it to bank until later. I don't have any faith that Microsoft will pull their heads out of their ass and bolster their machine with high quality, exclusive games, but there's always a chance that they will make it worthwhile. That's really the only chance they have to win me over, because I'll never buy one for cross-platform games. Pretty much a reverse X360/PS3 situation.

Vaclav

Yea, just kicking around waiting for the Zelda one or getting one sooner (maybe a 2DS even - the 3D is worthless to me and I don't give a shit about the folding since always travel with the wife - so got her monster purses to tuck it in, seriously bigger than my carryon luggage for her day to day one - but not gotten a chance to handle one to get a feel for if it's comfortable at all, online reviews seem mixed on people finding it MORE or LESS comfortable than 3DS/3DSXL) since the wife keeps nudging me about how she wants more Shin Megami games and that's where the rest of them are... [as well as a fuckton other RPGs - including X/Y like I'd be getting first thing]

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I got an Audi for Forza on 11/2 that I just noticed, and saw a tweet of someone getting a free Xbox One. No KI for me yet.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

Vaclav

I'd go with the 3DS XL model over the 2DS for sure for the Screen Size. The 3DS XL also has the best battery life and the 2DS only has a mono speaker.

This also says that the 2DS is also actually "less portable":Nintendo 2DS vs 3DS vs 3DS XL - Opinion - Trusted Reviews
Yea, read about three dozen reviews it feels like at this point - not worried about portability since as stated always got the wife with me, and it's about the same size as the Vita which she's always carrying without breaking a sweat. And on screen size, I'm not sure I'm amped about the SS difference really (remember, I've got killer eyes - wife might care though, since she's blind as a bat without her glasses) - battery life actually read to me to be almost identical between them, like 12.5 h vs 13 h.... Mono speaker is annoying, but gotten used to using the smartphone for Pandora and such, so not sure how much that would bother me.

Probably still getting a 3DS XL, that's where I'm heavily leaning. But I do loathe knowing I'm paying ~$40 or so for a feature I could care less about, heh.

Vaclav

I cannot recommend enough, again, if you buy a 3ds xl, buy this battery. Yes its expensive. No you don't pay shipping which helps make the cost more bearable. Yes it is the best battery you can imagine. Imagine having a 3ds with a better battery life than an Ipad.

[HLI-3DSLL] Buy Mugen Power 5800mAh Extended Battery for Nintendo 3DS LL and Nintendo 3DS XL with Battery Door

Yes it takes some time to ship right now because demand is high and they produce them in bunches for shipment.
I've seen quotes of like 13.5 hrs - so that battery swings like 40 hrs of playtime?!

Sean_sl

shitlord
I cannot recommend enough, again, if you buy a 3ds xl, buy this battery. Yes its expensive. No you don't pay shipping which helps make the cost more bearable. Yes it is the best battery you can imagine. Imagine having a 3ds with a better battery life than an Ipad.

[HLI-3DSLL] Buy Mugen Power 5800mAh Extended Battery for Nintendo 3DS LL and Nintendo 3DS XL with Battery Door

Yes it takes some time to ship right now because demand is high and they produce them in bunches for shipment.
Heh, that sounds like something I would definitely buy if I traveled around (I bought one of the super batteries for my PSP back in the day). And with all the great 3DS games, I'm actually worried about playing them too much. Using my Vita right now causes me a ton of pain if I play it for very long, guess I'm still not totally healed from the surgery (and still don't have the feeling in my left hand back).

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
It's offense. I am tired of you Canadians butchering my English language. While I am at it it's also called "I am goingtheUniversity, or Going toaUniversity" not "Going to University". It's also "I stayed in the hospital" not.. "I was in Hospital".... You fucking Eskimo.

Aside from that I agree with you. The difference between 720p and 1080p is huge, and anyone that cannot see that is blind. In all seriousness it's Microsoft trying to downplay their mishaps.
Wouldn't it be, "goingto theUniversity"?