The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm curious, is anyone here actually influenced by indie games when making a console/platform purchase decision? I can't imagine many do. Sure, there are a lot of cool indie games, but I see them more of an extra little perk, but not really something that would influence my decision on a console whatsoever. I doubt that Journey sold many PS3s, or that Super Meat Boy sold many 360s.

Column_sl

shitlord
They're showing videos of Crimson Dragon, and it looks awesome.

Man, I want to get both consoles, but I still do not want to early adopt the Xbox.

I know there will be revision in a couple of a months.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I would make sure the screens and video from Crimson Dragon aren't actually being run on a PS4 first.

Szlia

I'm curious, is anyone here actually influenced by indie games when making a console/platform purchase decision? I can't imagine many do. Sure, there are a lot of cool indie games, but I see them more of an extra little perk, but not really something that would influence my decision on a console whatsoever. I doubt that Journey sold many PS3s, or that Super Meat Boy sold many 360s.
For me, buying a console is akin to voting with my wallet for a video game philosophy. The question is "What should video games be?" and the answer is in the architecture of the console, in its capabilities, in the first party software, in the nature and vibrancy of the third party ecosystem, in the communication / notes of intent made by its creators as well as their past history. Looking at things this way, the accent put on the indies by SCE is a big positive for me.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I still see them as a perk but I expect that to change rapidly in the next year or so.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Indies are super important and some of them end up being absolutely gigantic, industry changing games (see Minecraft). The industry can't sustain itself on AAA studios alone and they're going to play a pretty crucial part in the gaming ecosystem. Sony isn't bending over backwards for them for show, they're doing it because they need to.

The PS4 being far cheaper and easier to develop for than any console in a long time is pretty important to that too. Indie devs were held back a lot by the barrier to entry on the X360 & PS3.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I still see them as a perk but I expect that to change rapidly in the next year or so.
I've already switched. The vast majority of the games I have enjoyed over the past year have been indie. I have a ton of indie games on my steam account that I got hooked on and ended up playing 4-6 hours at a time. I also have a ton of AAA titles that I haven't touch, and the ones I have I usually lose interest after 20 minutes.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I've already switched. The vast majority of the games I have enjoyed over the past year have been indie. I have a ton of indie games on my steam account that I got hooked on and ended up playing 4-6 hours at a time. I also have a ton of AAA titles that I haven't touch, and the ones I have I usually lose interest after 20 minutes.
I was going to post this basically word for word.

I am more excited for Resogun and Contrast then the other launch titles

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Now I have to get a vita. I'm sure there will be times during the day when the kids or wife are watching tv and I'll want to play more killzone.. hope there is a vita black friday special.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I would say yes, if not for the fact that most true "indies" on the PS4 will also be on the PC as well. Rime looks fantastic, but it alone is not enough to influence a console purchase imo. Transistor, Daylight, and maybe even The Witness--if Jonathan Blow has managed to tone his pretentiousness way the fuck down--look great, but there's no reason to get any of them anywhere but Steam.

. Redbox Instant by Verizon
No doubt it will be locked on the UI with a big advertisement just like it is on the PS3 now. Apparently it's not enough for Verizon to fag up my phone with apps I cannot remove, so they needed to do it to my Playstation too.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Now I have to get a vita. I'm sure there will be times during the day when the kids or wife are watching tv and I'll want to play more killzone.. hope there is a vita black friday special.
For remote play you need to be within blue tooth range correct? Similar to how the Wii U does it?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Ok nice.... Wii U sucked because it's bluetooth with the box and I would lose connection when I went upstairs.

Never experienced Remote Play before on the PS3... Any lag time?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It can work off blue-tooth as well, from what I've read(ie: Direct Connection). You have the option if you're closer to the console. I only messed with the PS3 feature a little and it was kind of 'meh'. The PS4, however, is being built with the feature in mind.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Knack co-op, this would be a day 1 buy if i knew anyone else getting a ps4 to play it with.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Knack co-op, this would be a day 1 buy if i knew anyone else getting a ps4 to play it with.

Heh, there's some really pretty areas in that game. I think it'll end up being a really good and fun game, especially on the harder difficulties which are tuned for older gamers. Definitely feel good about picking it up on launch.