The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Oh and another projector question - got a pristine wall where I'd be using it at home, smooth and no imperfections I can see - how necessary is a screen when you've got a pristine white wall?
We use a lot of projectors at work and one of the biggest problems with using a wall is the paint may reflect the light. Screens are designed to prevent that.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
We use a lot of projectors at work and one of the biggest problems with using a wall is the paint may reflect the light. Screens are designed to prevent that.
It's pretty matte - of course noticed BJs nearby carries projector screens on the floor, so it's a 10 min fix if I do need one once I test it w/o anyhow.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah we use projectors at work next to big 70 inch TVs and the difference is night and day. I have trouble reading the stuff projected vs the tv

Vaclav

Apparently Playstation Vue launched in the big markets today - $50/mo (with a $60/mo premium option) notably missing ABC, Disney, and ESPN though. Apparently does have a "psuedo-DVR" and pausing unlike similar offerings thusfar.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
$50/month? Might as well just get cable at that point (I know cable is more expensive,but not by much)

Juvarisx

Florida
Considering you dont have to pay for the cable box or the bullshit HDTV fee its a lot cheaper considering the channels you get. I'd consider it if it had ABC for the wife's shows.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, wondering if Dish has an exclusive locked up with Disney or they're just too expensive for Sony to add at current prices.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Considering you dont have to pay for the cable box or the bullshit HDTV fee its a lot cheaper considering the channels you get. I'd consider it if it had ABC for the wife's shows.
Not really. 85 channels is pretty much the second lowest teir for cable, which is generally the around $50-60. Yes, generally add $7ish for a cable box, but you also have to have a playstation for ps vue. You can only have one stream active at a time with vue which also kinda sucks.

I dunno, I just don't see the value

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If you want a DVR and HD it's usually more than $7. I agree it's not enough to convince me to ditch DirecTV.

Vaclav

Yea, I'm keeping my eye at the moment - but hoping for a cheap internet provider like Google Fiber to move in around here (near Orlando + Cape Canaveral - it's not impossible for us to be up there on the list - we're a super high tech area with a metropolis next door) before I'd consider it as things stand right now, since the value isn't there.

But with a DVR function included - it's something I'm keeping my eye on for the "if" we get an internet option here that makes it sensible to use. Right now with internet + TV bundling pricing for the current providers it wouldn't - but give us a $20/mo internet provider (like other parts of the state DO have - I know Gainesville does) and it's a huge winner for us. [At least assuming they get Food Network - I can't live without Food Network]

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'll be interested in seeing the quality. I've seen complaints about compression artifacts on sling TV. The savings isn't worth it right now but that could change.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Surprised PS4 isn't that far behind PC. For those who play both, what do you like about PS4 over the PC? The exclusives?

I need to upgrade my PC, but it will cost more than a PS4 so trying to decide which to do.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Surprised PS4 isn't that far behind PC. For those who play both, what do you like about PS4 over the PC? The exclusives?

I need to upgrade my PC, but it will cost more than a PS4 so trying to decide which to do.
? Owning all 3 is the only way to game.

Having to comptemplate whether to play the Last of Us, Halo master chief, or Pillers of eternity is a wonderful, first world problem.

P.s. If only one option I would say Ps4 if money is tight UpGrade pc later? Just too many games to miss out on on all 3.

Vaclav

Easier to hook up to my TV without lots of legwork, a handful of exclusives, preferred control scheme for many things [PC with a controller feels wrong to me] - ability to play PS4 in between pauses with the PC for various reasons as well [i.e. if I'm doing a MTGO tourney, I'll PS4 between rounds sometimes]

I'd honestly suggest having both - but maybe letting the PC fall behind if you find you enjoy the graphically intense titles more on PS4. (I tend to personally, stopped upgrading video cards since now - EQ Next is the only thing I see changing that possibly, and my current card already runs Landmark like a champ)

Additionally unlike Steam trophies something about PS4's "achievement/trophy" system actually interests me - I guess knowing that plats represent 100% completion at a glance gives me a nice psychological carrot. (Especially being someone that never finished ANY games when I was younger - I think Ultima VII [only part 1 though] and the QFG series were the only ones I ever played through to the end...)

[XBOne might be a nice option too, as Regime said while I was posting too - although definitely the "worst of the three" for right now - but XBOne will eventually allow streaming of PC games to the TV - so does water down my first reasoning although it would be a $350 peripheral to do it if that's the only reason]

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
[i.e. if I'm doing a MTGO tourney,

rrr_img_93211.jpg

Crone

I'm much like Vaclav, and I've never in my life finished/beat a console game until The Last of Us on Ps3. Prior to buying a Ps3 (and Ps4) last year, I owned a Xbox 360, but who didn't? And I had more fun modding it, and burning my own games than actually playing any of them.

As said I bought the Ps4 last year, and the first game I got really into, and sunk at least a hundred hours or more into was Diablo 3: UEE. I feel some games were just made for console, even if they started on PC, and I feel Diablo 3 is one of those games.

I have a gaming PC as well, but let's just talk about the real reason you get a console... so you can sit on the couch! I understand a PC can achieve the same thing, but in my setup, where I can game on my PC in my office, or go chill in the recliner or couch, with surround sound and a big TV, lately I always choose the couch.

If you had to choose between any of the consoles, or PC, I would go with where most of your friends play. Maybe not necessarily at the moment, as games will change, but my fun in a game goes up 10 fold if I have friends playing versus playing solo. This goes for any games, regardless of medium.

So I guess bottom line... go where there's people to play with!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

I like the exclusives, the ecosystem, the controller, the fact that I can get free games on ps3/vita/ps4, etc. Additionally, Microsoft really lost me as a customer early on with the bullshit they pulled and permanently lost me as a customer (and many others probably)

I still prefer PC for MMOs but I feel this generation will see many of those moving over to ps4 now that the hardware can truly handle those games (evidenced by ff14). As long as it has keyboard/mouse support I will have no reason to continue gaming on a PC.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I like the exclusives, the ecosystem, the controller, the fact that I can get free games on ps3/vita/ps4, etc. Additionally, Microsoft really lost me as a customer early on with the bullshit they pulled and permanently lost me as a customer (and many others probably)

I still prefer PC for MMOs but I feel this generation will see many of those moving over to ps4 now that the hardware can truly handle those games (evidenced by ff14). As long as it has keyboard/mouse support I will have no reason to continue gaming on a PC.
funny I was the same way but now I am back on Xbone more then PS4