The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Isnt Xbone going to start doing the cross buys between PC and console? that is a good fucking move
Crossplay via streaming has been stated officially with Windows 10 - not heard anything of crossbuy. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but its certainly been downplayed if it's been said compared to the streaming.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Microsoft is indeed making good moves. First an upgrade to Win 10 is going to be free for everyone in the world, and now this. Can't say I don't envy the cross-streaming, but at the same time I really wouldn't want MS grubby fingers in everything I do.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Cross play, not cross buy. I don't see any chance publishers are going to give you a free copy on another platform.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Xbox One, Windows 10 Games Getting Cross-Buy Support - GameSpot

Cross-buy will work similarly to what we've seen elsewhere, including PlayStation systems: Buying certain Xbox One or PC games will provide you with copies that can be played on both your console and any Windows 10 devices. Pinball FX 2 is the first game to support cross-buy; if you own content for it on Xbox One, you already own the in-development Windows 10 version.

Cross-buy support comes as part of Microsoft's Windows Universal App Platform, which we first heard about in January. Developers will be able to create a single version of a game that can run across all Windows devices (including Xbox One). To show how easy it is, Microsoft said Shovel Knight Yacht Club Games was able to port the game to Xbox One in a single day.

It's currently unclear how commonplace cross-buy will be. The decision will be in the hands of developers, as Spencer says it's "nothing something that we'll mandate." But he made it clear that Microsoft's overarching vision is to make games on the Windows 10 platform available in some way no matter what device you're accessing it from.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's up to the publishers, someone is going to do it.

"We're the platform. We will enable what publishers want to do with their content," Xbox head Phil Spencer said in an interview today when asked about cross-buy support for games that span Xbox and PC. "I'm not giving anybody's content away to somebody else. That's not our role. But how you end up with the game on both platforms is going to be dependent on who's selling the game.

"We're going to let the publishers decide the business model that they have on their titles."

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, Playstation has a bunch of cross-buy titles on their platforms from other publishers. It's up to the publisher.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Xbox One, Windows 10 Games Getting Cross-Buy Support - GameSpot

Cross-buy will work similarly to what we've seen elsewhere, including PlayStation systems: Buying certain Xbox One or PC games will provide you with copies that can be played on both your console and any Windows 10 devices. Pinball FX 2 is the first game to support cross-buy; if you own content for it on Xbox One, you already own the in-development Windows 10 version.

Cross-buy support comes as part of Microsoft's Windows Universal App Platform, which we first heard about in January. Developers will be able to create a single version of a game that can run across all Windows devices (including Xbox One). To show how easy it is, Microsoft said Shovel Knight Yacht Club Games was able to port the game to Xbox One in a single day.

It's currently unclear how commonplace cross-buy will be. The decision will be in the hands of developers, as Spencer says it's "nothing something that we'll mandate." But he made it clear that Microsoft's overarching vision is to make games on the Windows 10 platform available in some way no matter what device you're accessing it from.
Looks like it's about time to get the Xbone. That is awesome if developers aren't fuckign stupid about it.

Vaclav

They almost definitely will be stupid though Abe. Streaming is the definite, and accomplishes most of the same benefits though.

One is definitely on my list the minute an exclusive I care for shows up. (plus the feature for Win10 being live)

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They almost definitely will be stupid though Abe. Streaming is the definite, and accomplishes most of the same benefits though.

One is definitely on my list the minute an exclusive I care for shows up. (plus the feature for Win10 being live)
microsoft has been pulling a complete 180 and its great for gamers.

Vaclav

Yea, all the side benefits are appealing to me - just need a game or two (I care about - shooters aren't really my thing outside of like Fallout) to validate it's primary reason for me.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's nice, but I can only hope developers follow through. I dunno, maybe its the cynic in me but I don't see developers losing the chance at being able to sell multiple copies of the same game to a single person because that person wants to play on multiple platforms.

Vaclav

It's nice, but I can only hope developers follow through. I dunno, maybe its the cynic in me but I don't see developers losing the chance at being able to sell multiple copies of the same game to a single person because that person wants to play on multiple platforms.
I am too (as it's been clear) but with the streaming fundamentally doing MOST of it, they lose most of the "try to get someone to buy it twice" argument anyhow - since not many people would waste money rather than just streaming it over.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It's a balance, more loyalty and play of their titles as the result of cross-buy may equal more DLC purchases and players willing to put more investment into a game/franchise.

I'm not the gamer I used to be, but even when I had a lot more time it was things like Steam sales that resulted in my buying a game I already owned on consoles.