The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Column_sl

shitlord
Column, how do the triggers work? Do they have some pad that touches the back plate?
Yeah, it will hit the 1, and 2 upper parts of the pad. So right and left top corners. It also covers those corners so you don't hit them yourself.

Every remote play game worked just like a regular ps4 pad ( minus the click in analog stick buttons r3/l3)

Vita games worked really well like Borderlands. Making sprint and melee actual buttons.

spronk

FPS noob
So Gears of War 3 remastered for PC is out today, but won't support gSync (says performance issues if you turn it on). Its a windows 10 store app only too so you can't (easily) mod/alter game settings since W10 apps are in encrypted packages, although some people have figured out how to break out the EXEs

And Forza 6 APEX announced for Windows 10. Its NOT Forza 6, its some weird hybrid f2p mashup of a F6 ported to Windows.

I'm not super thrilled about Microsoft's forays into PC gaming. First its all centered around the Windows 10 store, so feels like a trojan horse. Second, why the fuck do I own an xbox and pay $30/yr for xbox gold if you are going to port everything to PC? Third, all these ports seem to be pretty shitty so I've got to choose between a xbox one version of a game that is full featured or a PC version that seems sorta half assed.

If every Xbox game came with the PC version for free I'd be fine with it, but right now it just feels like some weird thing microsoft is clawing at, and likely will abandon the whole thing after a year or two. Which makes me wonder what side they will land on - abandon xbox, abandon PC gaming, both, neither?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Just when you think MS can't get any more stupid...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...x#3816ec4f4537

Continual hardware upgrades for a console instead of releasing new consoles every 5-7 years, is without a doubt, the stupidest most moronic idea MS has ever thought of. And I will tell you why:

1) Publishers/Developers will have to increase development standards for consoles to include the upgrade segments to bring value to those upgrades. This will increase development time. That is if they even do it. Most publishers (All) will develop for the lowest common denominator and make the upgrades completely worthless to purchase.

2) I am sure most upgrade components will be proprietary which will increase costs above and beyond just building an up to date powerful gaming PC.

3) It will force publishers to not work on one standard as they always have with consoles, going back to option 1, where they will just use the base console platform for the development - otherwise they will be tasked to develop for multiple platforms due to the upgraded components.

4) May as well just buy a damn PC and hook it up to the TV at that point. Price points are allowed to make consoles easy to use and penetrate an installed market base quickly. This ridiculous idea is going to fracture the install base.

Microsoft is so fucking out of touch with the market it's a wonder they can even exist in the gaming market at this point. What a bunch of clueless asshats.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
All depends on execution, won't completely dismiss the idea. Doesn't the universal platform mitigate some of the development concerns?

I posted this a few weeks ago on another forum:

I wish these consoles were expandable for the purposes of things like DVR, Live TV, etc. The core box able to do all of the above, but need additional accessory interfaces, additional processing, etc? Expansion boxes.

Kind of like what Sony is doing with their VR unit requiring an extra processing unit. If I want to go all-in w/ the Xbox One as the center of my living room and not just that as a somewhat secondary option for my gaming console I'd be happy to buy a branded multi-HDD unit that includes some extra processing or something to help make the experience better (partner w/ Slingbox, etc). A multimedia dock for misc devices to assist w/ mirroring, recharging, syncing. A processing unit to emulate some of the Azure functions for offline play, I don't know. I'm sure smart people in Redmond have better ideas for this kind of open ended hardware play.

As I see the Kinect and TV seemingly starved for resources this is a solution that I do kinda wish could happen, but I know is a pipe dream (and probably a development headache unless implemented pretty elegantly). As I close apps to make the TV app function at 100% every night I am hopeful things continue to improve across the board to make it a great experience for all, regardless of use case.
Of course I was advocating for enhancing core functionality, not extending gaming across revisions, but can very much see the appeal there. I'd be interested in buying a second core unit to share games with (or stream them to) that was cheaper because I didn't have the most recent revision or something. Games could come out a decade or more later that don't require newer revisions of hardware and would play on all the platforms due to the unified platforms, etc.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
All depends on execution, won't completely dismiss the idea. Doesn't the universal platform mitigate some of the development concerns?

I posted this a few weeks ago on another forum:

I wish these consoles were expandable for the purposes of things like DVR, Live TV, etc. The core box able to do all of the above, but need additional accessory interfaces, additional processing, etc? Expansion boxes.

Kind of like what Sony is doing with their VR unit requiring an extra processing unit. If I want to go all-in w/ the Xbox One as the center of my living room and not just that as a somewhat secondary option for my gaming console I'd be happy to buy a branded multi-HDD unit that includes some extra processing or something to help make the experience better (partner w/ Slingbox, etc). A multimedia dock for misc devices to assist w/ mirroring, recharging, syncing. A processing unit to emulate some of the Azure functions for offline play, I don't know. I'm sure smart people in Redmond have better ideas for this kind of open ended hardware play.

As I see the Kinect and TV seemingly starved for resources this is a solution that I do kinda wish could happen, but I know is a pipe dream (and probably a development headache unless implemented pretty elegantly). As I close apps to make the TV app function at 100% every night I am hopeful things continue to improve across the board to make it a great experience for all, regardless of use case.
Of course I was advocating for enhancing core functionality, not extending gaming across revisions, but can very much see the appeal there. I'd be interested in buying a second core unit to share games with (or stream them to) that was cheaper because I didn't have the most recent revision or something. Games could come out a decade or more later that don't require newer revisions of hardware and would play on all the platforms due to the unified platforms, etc.
In a perfect world, that's great. Publishers will never start developing for multiple revisions of a console when they don't know the installed base of whatever revision that is. It's going to be sloppy from a development perspective, and costly when they will need to make the next console modular to support ease of use upgrades. Not to mention, the reason why PC's are cheaper to produce these days (Including gaming PC's) is doe to the amount of competition between varying manufacturers of the components. Imagine sole proprietary module upgrades made only by Microsoft. We are talking about assholes who sold a Wireless (B/N) USB adapter plug in for the 360 for 100 bucks back when they were 19 in any grocery store.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
"YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY BE PLAYING THIS MINISERIES"
- TouchArcade

"PULLED ME RIGHT BACK INTO THE WALKING DEAD"
- The Verge

"ADDS DEPTH TO THE SERIES' TOUGHEST CHARACTER"
- Kotaku

Just got this email with those 3 shit sites promoting the new walking dead game Michonne. Anyone play it? lol

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I'd play it if it weren't shit
Is it the worst game you have never played ?
cool.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just meant the whole show is crap so by extension the game is crap too, but I will take that evidence for backup

spronk

FPS noob
Telltale's engine is like Hugh Hefner at this point, too old and ugly to do anything. Maybe if they revamp their engine I'd buy their games at launch, but now you just wait six months and get it at 90% discount and still groan at how bad the animations and lip sync is

also PSN has been sending out vouchers for those who did the claim stuff last year, you got to choose a free copy of god of war 3 (ps3) or one or two other ps3/vita games

Column_sl

shitlord
May looks ridiculous right now for gaming

Dark Souls III
Ratchet & Clank
Battleborn
DOOM
Homefront: The Revolution
Mirror's Edge Catalyst