The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Excited and buying on launch. I think playing D3 on my TV might be more enjoyable than on PC as well.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I like the Vita integration but would want to see what v2 of that hardware looks like before buying into it. In a way that could also get people to buy a Vita and no games.

Would be nice to get some options there, a Vita with clickable thumbsticks and L2/R2 buttons. Hell, make a a device similar to the Vita without the full guts that only works for remote play and whatever else the PS4 could feed it and shave $100 off of the price and I'd rather get that.

Siliconemelons

kinda sad to see that there was a noticed diff in 8 v 16gb dev box and they did 8... Your SONY ram costs you..what..5 cents?

other than that, now I am to save my pennies for this.. Loved all my PS consoles.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Btw, you wrong, wrong, wrong people who said this shit wouldn't come out till late 2014 = crazy town. Told you it would be out this year, Holidays 2013.

I think another interesting thing to come out tonight was Sony's flexibility towards publishers allowing them their choice of business models (f2p, microtransactions, subscriptions, etc) and even the easy ability for independent developers to self-publish on the platform.

Will probably see more MMOs this gen on consoles with those restrictions removed.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I think another interesting thing to come out tonight was Sony's flexibility towards publishers allowing them their choice of business models (f2p, microtransactions, subscriptions, etc) and even the easy ability for independent developers to self-publish on the platform.

Will probably see more MMOs this gen on consoles with those restrictions removed.
I think they HAVE to do this with Steam and iOS blowing up. They've already opened up the Vita development to indies.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
What can they realistically price this at? Seems like a lot of tech for 500 bucks, but I don't know if people will pay much more than that.

Also, how will all this stuff work with crappy rural ISP's? Would it be functional with a 3mbs connection?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
429/529 (2SKUs) is being quoted all over rumormills and re streaming Vita can do it over 3g ATM with limited titles.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
ill buy it but i cant say the hardware is impressive. That controller makes me happy and I'm excited about 'destiny'. Unless MS wows me ill probably play it on the ps4.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
lawl, that killzone demo looks exactly like the original killzone demo for the ps3 way back in the day in terms of graphics.

and lawl @ the watch dogs demo. Game looks about as good as that PC version of GTA4 Tuco posted.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I think some of you guys are nuts. Comparing a ~$400 console to PCs whose video card alone tops that, saying that Sony cheaped out on not shipping a system with 16GB of GDDR5 RAM, etc.? Do you not understand the concept of "mass market"?

The two complaints I think are valid are 1) Possible move glow reflection in the screen constantly, and 2) Kinda repetitive software lineup. But I'm not sure you should expect the Motorstorm guys to do anything other than a racer, expect Sucker Punch to do anything other than another Infamous, etc. I'm sure lots of 3rd parties have PS4 projects too, but they are cross-platform (if not cross-gen) and therefore will be all over E3, rather than souring things with MS by being here.

Honestly, the thing I liked seeing the most is The Witness getting a next-gen fork. Hopefully the other PSN/XBLA stragglers like Guacamelee will also get new system forks and not be limited to just "dead" hardware.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like the Vita integration but would want to see what v2 of that hardware looks like before buying into it. In a way that could also get people to buy a Vita and no games.
I'm guessing whatever Microsoft has coming out will rival the PS4 in most areas, but this should be one area where Sony will be able to edge them out since Microsoft has no handheld (unless they work in the Surface somehow). Being able to switch from a TV to the handheld is definitely a nice feature, and I'll be curious to see how the PS4/Vita integration compares to the WiiU, particularly in regards to things like range.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Those specs wont impress PC gamers, but games optimized for consoles will make some of our PC games look bad. If they can squeeze decent graphics out of systems like the 360/PS3 with 512 mb or Ram and weak GPUs, what can they do with modern hardware, with custom CPUs and GPUs and fast memory? Yeah, I am impressed and I haven't been impressed by consoles in a LONG time.

Plus, that Knack game looks like a fun game. Day 1 for me.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Still betting on 399.99 USD.
To be honest, I'm anticipating a lower pricepoint as well. Part of the reason the PS3 was priced so high was that they were trying to corner the market on the next physical media and pushing the blu-ray when it was new and costly. Obviously, that's no longer a concern since they won that battle. Also, they were trying to market the PS3 as more of a "home entertainment system" rather than a gaming console, and they don't seem to be making that mistake this time around.

Though, I did hear some people saying some of the hardware is sure to drive the price up, but considering Sony hasn't been afraid to sell their consoles at a loss before, that's possibly not the case.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm guessing whatever Microsoft has coming out will rival the PS4 in most areas, but this should be one area where Sony will be able to edge them out since Microsoft has no handheld (unless they work in the Surface somehow). Being able to switch from a TV to the handheld is definitely a nice feature, and I'll be curious to see how the PS4/Vita integration compares to the WiiU, particularly in regards to things like range.
It can be matched to a degree though, if the next Xbox can stream content to any Windows 8 device for example. Not necessarily as convenient as already having a handheld in the market of course.

If to edge out MS's console you have to spend a couple hundred more dollars it's only so much of a plus also. Definitely a huge plus for the PS4 if it goes completely un-challenged though.

I'm still kinda surprised they didn't end with a 'we aren't discussing pricing right now, but you can pick up a Vita starting Monday for $199' or something.

To be honest, I'm anticipating a lower pricepoint as well. Part of the reason the PS3 was priced so high was that they were trying to corner the market on the next physical media and pushing the blu-ray when it was new and costly. Obviously, that's no longer a concern since they won that battle. Also, they were trying to market the PS3 as more of a "home entertainment system" rather than a gaming console, and they don't seem to be making that mistake this time around.

Though, I did hear some people saying some of the hardware is sure to drive the price up, but considering Sony hasn't been afraid to sell their consoles at a loss before, that's possibly not the case.
I think if it's a lower price, it will be made up via the cost of services. I don't think any of the BC stuff will be free, and there's the rumor of a lot of the online services being bundled into an Xbox Live-type service called PS World.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Xbox being more powerful is unlikely considering developer comments all over