The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Sony's hardware was undoubtedly worse this era. Nice to see rumors of their marked improvements.

Another console generation where you only need a PlayStation. :cool:

Lately it's gotten worse, but unlike MS Sony doesn't need to release a upgrade every year too try and keep up, I would say that Sony has done pretty good with the hardware for its overall age, and Navi is looking really good for them into the future.(still waiting too see what "specs" Navi will have, I'm hoping for some next level arch built into that beast.)

It seems to be some kind of special "hybrid" drive for the PS5.(probably has both SSD + Platters for storage)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Not sure it matters all that much, MS will just release another console in 4-5 years. That's their stated strategy. This is probably Sony's last console to allow them to put real emphasis on offline play if xCloud / Stadia / etc gain any traction.

My hope is for more of the cross-console play we've seen. At some point I'd like to see saves make the trip, let me play Madden on a beefy PS5 in 4k and Dolby Atmos and then as an EA (whatever) subscriber take that save to my PC or xCloud and play my franchise on whatever device I want.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why the fuck they went SATA2 for PS4 launch was one of my biggest questions.
The worst part is that the Pro has SATA3 but because of the i/o bus there's only marginal improvement from using an SSD over a good (FireCuda) SSHD. Next gen can't get here soon enough.

I still want to hear Sony actually say the PS5 is going to have a 4K Blu-ray drive in it too. They keep saying it will have disc media, but all that does is stop people from speculating about whether or not consoles are going digital-only yet.

Vaclav

The worst part is that the Pro has SATA3 but because of the i/o bus there's only marginal improvement from using an SSD over a good (FireCuda) SSHD. Next gen can't get here soon enough.

I still want to hear Sony actually say the PS5 is going to have a 4K Blu-ray drive in it too. They keep saying it will have disc media, but all that does is stop people from speculating about whether or not consoles are going digital-only yet.

Well since it's backwards compatible it doesn't even do that - since it could have a phsyical drive for PS4 titles only and all the new shit could be digital exclusive. (Unless they've made a clear statement at least, I've only been following loosely)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Sony's hardware was undoubtedly worse this era. Nice to see rumors of their marked improvements.

Another console generation where you only need a PlayStation. :cool:
The base PS4 was much better than base Xbone. XboneX was better than PS4 pro, but winning on the mid cycle premium model doesn’t get you nearly as many customers as the first model win

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
New Game Pass titles.
Metal Gear Survive - 5/23
The Banner Saga - 5/23
Void Bastards - 5/29
Dead by Daylight - 5/30
Outer Wilds - 5/30
Full Metal Furies - 6/6
The Banner Saga 2 - 6/6
Superhot - 6/6

Vorph

Your current sub would still run until the month(s) you paid for are up so that wouldn't work. Maybe if you cancelled it and refunded the most recent monthly charge (and haven't been using the service at all recently) it might work. They definitely do that refund thing; I cancelled GamePass shortly after Forza's release because they did something to the game which made it impossible for me to run it on my PC. I waited ~2 weeks for them to fix it, then cancelled GamePass and got a refund.

Not sure if some amount of time needs to pass between subscribing/not-subscribing. I haven't subbed in the last six months but I was able to get the $1 deal today.

spronk

FPS noob
nah if you have gamepass you can't get the $1 deal, its a bummer no amount of cancelling/etc will work, you have to have a completely lapsed sub to get the $1 deal.

they run 50% off promos for existing subs all the time, and with the conversion to ultimate coming later this year i'm pretty sure they will run tons of sales when that comes out. so just let it run out and wait for the next big deal

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

With that they need to include Dolby Atmos Support and Dolby Vision support. They do that, good bye Xbox. I can do gamepass on my PC and cross play. The only reason why I have my X1X now is for the media playback.

spronk

FPS noob
US considers 25% tariff on game consoles
The Trump administration's escalating trade dispute with China could have a significant impact on gaming in the near future. As reported by Game Daily, the Office of the United States Trade Representative has proposed a tariff of up to 25% on a wide array of products imported from China.

The extensive list of affected product categories includes video game consoles, game controllers, and coin-op arcade games.

• 1Like

Crone

Just busted on FFXIV and the new Diablo season fizzled out fast. Division 2 was great for 40-50 hours but my interest then dropped off a cliff.

Have a ton of games on ps4, but not sure what to play. Maybe need a push in the right direction?

Horizon zero dawn
1/2 of uncharted 2, uncharted 3,4, and the chick one after that
The entire batman series
God of War
Red dead redemption
Lego city undercover
Lego avengers
Zelda
Resident evil 7
Kingdom hearts 3
Ac odyssey

I think the problem is a block on wanting to dig into such a huge game. Fired up rock band this weekend because I could play a few songs and be done. It wasn't taking on a 80+ hour endeavor.

So how do you get over that block? Do you just force yourself to dive into a huge game?

spronk

FPS noob
i'd play God of War, then HZD or RE7, then Zelda, then RDR. Its a nice rhythm of games that are better way imo than the rest. God of War and HZD imo are two games everyone should really play.

I'm same as you, just find I gotta stick with something for 2-3 nights (1-2 hours a night) and I naturally find it either really compelling or I drop it. I'm 90% done with RDR2 now, played thru chapter 3 up to Dec and just kinda dropped off but picked it up again 2 weeks ago and really loving it again but I think RDR1 is a much better and compelling game. Also just finished Far Cry 5, AC: Origins, and a few others but have zero interest in picking up new stuff (Days Gone, Rage 2, etc) and just trying to complete a bunch of SP games while there is a real quiet time in gaming.

and yeah division 2 was really fun for 40 hours but after that it somehow got really shitty, really fast

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's a good list of games. Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. And Horizon Zero Dawn was just really, really well executed. The main story was a little nonsensical but the character and atmosphere they gave to that game via the small tidbits and recordings you find throughout the world were A++. And the combat was outstanding, even if a bit buggy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Crone Crone

Not sure how much anyone regards my opinions on games, but HZD was one of the first games in a long time where I had trouble putting it down and was losing myself within the world. The world is absolutely stunning, the monsters are a different take on the usual, and the story was very well-executed. I didn't do every sidequest, that's just not how I play games, but what I did was nice.

I'm also playing God of War. It's very similar to me, but I liked HZD a bit better.

RDR(2 I think you meant? if not ignore this). Another game I got lost in the world. The problem is it starts to drag with how much you need to travel.

Uncharted 2-4 are basically a set of masterpieces. Everyone has a different favorite, but a lot of people consider 2 the best in the series. My wife says it's her favorite game of all time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

It's taking that first leap into the game that I have trouble with. I should mention that I'm broken because I have played HZD and GoW and neither hooked me to keep playing. I'll have to give it another try.

And yea, meant rdr2, which I bought and purposefully didn't play because I was reading about bugs and wanted to wait for a big patch. No idea if that ever happened but I assume it did?

Vorph

And yea, meant rdr2, which I bought and purposefully didn't play because I was reading about bugs and wanted to wait for a big patch. No idea if that ever happened but I assume it did?
Depends on which bugs you mean. They did finally fix the HDR for the most part (you have to go in and manually change HDR to 'game mode' in order to get it to stop using the shitty fake HDR from release), and I think that was the last of the major issues people had with it.

spronk

FPS noob
It's taking that first leap into the game that I have trouble with. I should mention that I'm broken because I have played HZD and GoW and neither hooked me to keep playing. I'll have to give it another try.

I finished RDR2 last night ironically enough and while I liked the game I think its far, far, far behind God of War, HZD, Batman, and Uncharted in terms of story and characters. Its a beautiful "what can games do" kind of technical achievement that only Rockstar with its 3000 (not an exaggeration) staff and 8 years can do, but it DRAGS soooooo hard in so many parts. It does make me wanna go rewatch Deadwood and Unforgiven though.

I would also really play RDR 1 before RDR 2, if you have an X RDR 1 plays absolutely beautifully and the game story is just flat out better. Still, I'd say HZD/GOW/Spiderman are better games.