The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The thing that Sony has out right now isn't an Oculus Rift type. It's just their 3D movie headset. I'm sure the true VR helmet will be better.
This. The old Sony wearable displays didn't even track our head movements... It was an expensive view master.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I can see this being a problem for Sony, assuming they do release a VR helmet for the PS4. Next gen console games, on the whole, are aiming for 1080p30, and, to be totally honest, they don't look too impressive. A lot of graphical compromises would have to be made to get those games running at 1600p60 or even 1080p60.
Yeah and I've heard that using the rift at sub-60hz can be disorienting.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yep, so it's beating ps4 to market in EU (whatever countries are on its launch list anyway) but not in NA. Will be interesting. Also saying they clocked the CPU higher.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
What are the advantages of getting a new console on a launch day again ? The only one I can think of is to resell them for profit, the launch titles are all on 360/ps3 anyway, systems will be barely out of beta, you are subject to random server meltdowns and a month later you can actually make more informed decision than what marketing decides to put out.

Szlia

It's shinny!

Anyway, I'll buy mine when a game I really want to play is released. It will probably be for The Witness (my gaming PC is effectively a retro-gaming PC).

Xevy

Log Wizard
Even with my XB1 'fanboyism' I still wouldn't purchase it on release unless there's some mega-deal. Or they add a launch game that actually matters to some one.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Currently, my 360 has Red Ringed and my PS3 has Yellow Lighted.

So I've said "Screw It", and am now sitting them both out until Sep '14 or later. Oh no, I won't be able to play the (underwhelming-looking) Knack until next year? How will I survive.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
You guys are pretty funny. If you intend to buy a new console then I have no idea why you would wait. Sure you can look back and say "Oh RED RING!!", but lets be realistic here. The red ring issue wasn't resolved on the production side for a long ass time (years?). And as far as price drops, do you guys really think they are going to drop the price dramatically even in the next year? I don't see that happening at these prices points, especially on the PS4 side. Even if the prices do drop it'll be what $100.00? Yeah that's a real shit ton of cash. Pretty sure day one purchasers will get over $100.00 of use out of their new console by the time 2015 roles around and the price cuts start coming.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Eh, you're talking about chump change overall though considering likely a year of use before bundles start - and even then bundles in recent years have been underwhelming for most - like $30 savings in most cases. (i.e. AC3 PS3 which is one of the better ones - was $30 savings - and AC3 dropped by $30 like two months later where it became moot shortly after....)

And considering there's an amazing lineup of games that WILL RUN BETTER ON THEM vs. PS3/360 even though they're available on both - the decision against does seem pretty silly unless you're strapped for cash to me, but shrug. But then again, I'm a bleeding edge video card guy - so I do have a light respect for my wallet. (Well, medium - I do have an outlet for reselling my used cards for about 75-80% of retail with light use...)

[Especially since both systems will have a "cumulative game list" that will build up for people with PS+/XBG - the way I look at it, by being part day one I'm locking in EVERY free title on PS4 personally (And frankly one part that now that I think about it may tempt me back to X1 as well... dammit...)]

There's been times I've literally not touched my PS3 for a month or two at a stretch besides logging in on Wednesdays to make sure I tag my PS+ freebies - and during times like recently where I don't feel like spending anything on games (literally until PS4 AC4 my console gaming is a blank list for new titles - although I really need to eyeball Watch Dogs stuff never given it a good look) I literally have piles of DOZENS of games to go through of which some are remarkably good gems that I overlooked. (i.e. Saints Row 3 - had literally zero interest in buying it after SR1 in a humble bundle really didn't interest me much - tried it and ended up having to buy SR4 the minute it came out as a result) Besides DLC, I don't think there's any purchases I'll be making anytime before December. (Besides the charge just waiting to happen for AC4 and PS4 at least - but I consider them "done" already)

Coren_sl

shitlord
What are the advantages of getting a new console on a launch day again ?
Being able to play it launch day.
wink.png

Of course for many that's not a big deal. I've never been on launch day for a console before, I tend to bite about half a year to a year after release. This time though I actually managed to get hyped up enough about the PS4 that when I found out I could pre-order from Amazon and have it delivered launch day, I bit. I knew I was going to drop the 400 sooner or later anyways, and there's enough stuff at launch that I won't regret getting it. So, eh.

spronk

FPS noob
I'd agree buying a new console on day0 is a good idea if you aren't a pc gamer, but if you are a PC gamer I can't see any reason to buy one right now. The big fall titles - AC4, BF4, COD99, Watch Dogs etc are all coming on PC, and you'd be able to even play them ahead of time which is crazy, and they will almost certainly go on much bigger sales than console during steam x-mas sales (with competition). There is no GTA5 announcement yet for PC or next gen. Titanfall and the Tom Clancy MMOFPS look to be big new amazing games but on PC and not till next year.

So if I kept my ps4 preorder, I'll hook it up and do absolutely nothing with it for at least 3 months. I got 100+ games on steam I haven't played yet, I don't need a buncha shit on PS+ I'm not going to not play too - of course I don't have a PS+ account either so that makes the decision easier. Maybe killzone is awesome but I never played the first one so not gonna feel bad about missing another one.

Give me an amazing next gen exclusive game and I will buy your console. I'm kinda hoping Naughty Dog announces Last of Us for PS4 shipping Dec, if that happens I'd keep my PS4 preorder. Of course if you are a console only gamer then its a no brainer, buy one and move forward 10 years in tech.

spronk

FPS noob
also ps4 controller will apparently work straight up on a PC, without the need for those shitty inmotion drivers which bluescreen. and xb1 controller should work just fine too. video below is dev kit ps4 controller:

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
The ps4 dev controller pretty much needs to work on pc since that's what the games are built with and played on at the expos I think

DMK_sl

shitlord
You buy the console on day one

A) Be apart of the experience.
B) Games will run better and some may have more features
C) You are going to buy one anyway so what's the difference. Other then missing out for no reason.