The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
So many new threads dont feel like starting another, however PS3 support still seems to be pretty dam strong and this game looks pretty fun. Too bad i dont own a ps3 anymore.

At first I was like, that looks pretty fucking shitty graphically for a next gen game then I realized you inexplicably just posted a PS3 arcade game in this thread.

Veil_sl

shitlord
Too general a question. How much of a tradeoff will there be between frame rates and resolution? I'd rather have 1080p at 30 FPS than 720p at 40FPS.

Also depends a lot on the game. You can't just make a general statement that's really applicable in any useful way.

Also, I think it's kind of hilarious that you're wondering if the PS4 will be able to downscale itself. Yeah, I'm pretty sure a developer can choose to make those same kinds of choices.
Not sure either of us understands how this works. The way I see it, a developer sets a bottom floor frame rate, 60 fps lets say. They will determining that based on a lot of factors i would guess. 90% of the time the game is running 1080p or whatever, then during the course of the game you max out the assets on screen and normally you get reduced frame rate supposedly the xb1 will reduce resolution on the fly to hopefully maintain frame rate. Pc's currently don't use this technology, neither do any of the boxes I've ever heard about, so I dont understand why its hilarious to ask if PS4 does this. By boxes i mean matrix switchers, scalers, aaything that connects to a display. Currently, Nvidia is looking at problems similar this, thier fix is G-sync I believe. G-sync requires monitors with proprietary hardware fyi. This is pretty new if it's how I understand it works. I agree its a pretty general question, and the tradeoff is up to the developers and their art departments to decide and code for really.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
At first I was like, that looks pretty fucking shitty graphically for a next gen game then I realized you inexplicably just posted a PS3 arcade game in this thread.
With all the derails, why does it even matter anymore. Atleast im not joining in the my system is better than yours e-dick waggling.

Shabado_sl

shitlord
Not sure either of us understands how this works. The way I see it, a developer sets a bottom floor frame rate, 60 fps lets say. They will determining that based on a lot of factors i would...
Dynamic resolution isn't a new thing. A number of older games use it, WipeoutHD and Rage for example. Microsoft are just spinning it like it's a fancy new thing. I don't know the ins and outs, but someone can probably explain why G-Sync is an entirety different beast.

Short answer, though, is yes the PS4 could do it. Along with the 360 and PS3, I believe it's used on the Vita as well. It's not Xbone witchcraft or anything.

I think the resolution thing is overblown. Some people will care, but if a game looks great then it looks great. It's odd to think that come 2020 we might still be playing in 720p though.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
We can leave that to Gamespot who just released a poll stating 27% of online purchasers considered exclusively buying an Xbone. THAT.... Hurts...

PS4 interest ahead of Xbox One by 2 to 1 margin in pre-launch study - GameSpot
No surprise - forcing Kinect down every purchasers throat. Delaying adapter on headset and many other stupidities that they could have corrected. I am also sure they will release a version without Kinect to other regions of the world later. Then they will back pedal saying some PR rubbish. Honestly MS can suck a dick for all i care, but my friends are getting it so i am to, but im also getting a PS4 (which i support more but launch line up is weak to me).

Honestly and for the foreseeable future. I will always buy a MP title on Xbox before PS4. However any good SP game(RPG mainly) will be a PS4 purchase.

So far its...

PS4 - Killzone
Xbox - DR, Forza, Crimson Dragon..... maybe KI just for the original one, but thats very unlikely considering Jago looks retarded along with the entire cast.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I havent really cared for any of the previous Killzone games at all, but the new one looks pretty damn good. And there really isnt much else to pick up anyway at launch so im sure i will end up with it.

Is it me, or did all the previous KZ titles just "feel" weird or what? I dont know if it was input lag, or whatever but they never seemed to play very good for me.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Not sure either of us understands how this works. The way I see it, a developer sets a bottom floor frame rate, 60 fps lets say. They will determining that based on a lot of factors i would guess. 90% of the time the game is running 1080p or whatever, then during the course of the game you max out the assets on screen and normally you get reduced frame rate supposedly the xb1 will reduce resolution on the fly to hopefully maintain frame rate. Pc's currently don't use this technology, neither do any of the boxes I've ever heard about, so I dont understand why its hilarious to ask if PS4 does this. By boxes i mean matrix switchers, scalers, aaything that connects to a display. Currently, Nvidia is looking at problems similar this, thier fix is G-sync I believe. G-sync requires monitors with proprietary hardware fyi. This is pretty new if it's how I understand it works. I agree its a pretty general question, and the tradeoff is up to the developers and their art departments to decide and code for really.
Maybe neither of us do but I think you're reading way too much into their quote. On the fly switching resolutions would be pretty jarring I imagine. It'd be like a zoom in and out effect.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Maybe neither of us do but I think you're reading way too much into their quote. On the fly switching resolutions would be pretty jarring I imagine. It'd be like a zoom in and out effect.
Not really. Happens all the time on netflix movies with bandwidth variation. I can see them doing the same with memory bandwidth, and holy Hannah would that suck.

sebur

Bronze Squire
As far as the GSYNC thing that is absolutely different from the way I understand it as it is not messing with resolutions. It is entirely devoted to dealing with hz variations. What it does is match the hz with what the video card is running at instead their being a disparity. If the card is running at 144/15/58/35 (doesn't matter) hz then the monitor will follow suit and match. Video cards don't run at constant rates so if you don't run vsync the card will just push shit to your screen as fast as possible and the monitor will attempt to keep up, if it doesn't, welcome to screen tear. The opposite holds true as well for using vsync and setting limits as if it dips below the limits set, you again, get screen tear.

This is all of course how I understand it and I am tired right now so my point might not be very clear.

Veil_sl

shitlord
Hmm looks like I misspoke a bit on on-the-fly resolution changes, that's not entirely accurate, but this is the direct quote.
We've got the SHAPE, the more efficient command processor [relative to the standard design], we've got the clock boost - it's in large part actually is to ensure that we've got the headroom for the frame-rates. We've done things on the GPU side as well with our hardware overlays to ensure more consistent frame-rates. We have two independent layers we can give to the titles where one can be 3D content, one can be the HUD. We have a higher quality scaler than we had on Xbox 360.What this does is that we actually allow you to change the scaler parameters on a frame-by-frame basis.I talked about CPU glitches causing frame glitches... GPU workloads tend to be more coherent frame to frame. There doesn't tend to be big spikes like you get on the CPU and so you can adapt to that.

What we're seeing in titles is adopting the notion of dynamic resolution scaling to avoid glitching frame-rate. As they start getting into an area where they're starting to hit on the margin there where they could potentially go over their frame budget, they could start dynamically scaling back on resolution and they can keep their HUD in terms of true resolution and the 3D content is squeezing. Again, from my aspect as a gamer I'd rather have a consistent frame-rate and some squeezing on the number of pixels than have those frame-rate glitches.
HereIs an article linking G-sync by Nvidia to the xb1 claims regarding scaling /shrug. I agree that all they are, are claims at the moment.

I know the ps4 fanboys have declared the winner already, but I'm curious to see how this gen plays out. Every time I hear about how the ps4 is 50% faster, like its 50% better, its just laughable to hear.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Late, I know, but thanks for all the feedback on the FPS Freeks information. I'm gonna pick up a pair and see what they're all about. I'll post back after I try them out. I'm thinking they will be useful in FPS/Fighter games and ESPECIALLY DUMB FUCKING GAMES WHERE YOU CANNOT ADJUST THE CAMERA SENSITIVITY (Looking at you, Remember Me).

Sean_sl

shitlord
CoD Ghosts PS4 cover leaked:Twitter / B4d_HabiT: Primera cararula que nos llega ...

49gb install.

BXXVX-AIcAAlQAP.jpg:large

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
if that will be the norm only being able to install roughly 10 games on the stock disk will kinda suck.

Cor_sl

shitlord
I havent really cared for any of the previous Killzone games at all, but the new one looks pretty damn good. And there really isnt much else to pick up anyway at launch so im sure i will end up with it.

Is it me, or did all the previous KZ titles just "feel" weird or what? I dont know if it was input lag, or whatever but they never seemed to play very good for me.
Nah, it's not just you. Killzone 2 is my least favourite FPS game of this gen mainly because it controls horribly.

Unfortunately, from my brief hands on time with KZ:SF, it's not much better on that front. The controls still feel laggy and unresponsive. That might have changed in the last month, I guess, but I doubt it. The laggy controls seem to be a (baffling) design decision on Guerrilla's part.

Hmm looks like I misspoke a bit on on-the-fly resolution changes, that's not entirely accurate, but this is the direct quote.

HereIs an article linking G-sync by Nvidia to the xb1 claims regarding scaling /shrug. I agree that all they are, are claims at the moment.

I know the ps4 fanboys have declared the winner already, but I'm curious to see how this gen plays out. Every time I hear about how the ps4 is 50% faster, like its 50% better, its just laughable to hear.
That article is fucking stupid. G-sync and dynamic resolutions aren't remotely comparable.

Read this post to see how G-sync works --G-SYNC - New nVidia monitor tech (continuously variable refresh; no tearing/stutter) - Page 5 - NeoGAF

TLDR: g-sync allows monitors to run on variable refresh rates. It makes games smoother. It's a true gamechanger.

I guess you could argue that both solutions are trying to smooth out gameplay and eliminate screen tearing, but they do it in two very different ways. Microsoft's solution leads to a reduction in resolution, i.e. worse image quality, while Nvidia's solution actually improves image quality dramatically.

I can't wait to get my hands on a g-sync monitor. It's going to be amazing.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
if that will be the norm only being able to install roughly 10 games on the stock disk will kinda suck.
Don't worry, according to Infinity Ward. Call of Duty players don't play any other game ANYWAYS, they don't need to do anything like optimize the install for hard drive space.