The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Veil_sl

shitlord
Please, load up a game and set it to 720p. Then set it to 1080p. Then come back and tell us with a gigantic, bold faced lie that the "resolution thing" is bullshit. Or be honest and say you were wrong.
You don't see why this might be a bad test? Whats the native resolution of the monitor? There is a reason people drop 500 bucks on video scalers.

I have never stated that there are no differences between 720 and 1080 resolution, but people are blowing this way out of proportion, so they can get their dick waving in.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Have you ever heard anyone comment how HD sports on Fox or ESPN are inferior to sports on CBS? Me either. This whole resolution thing is such bullshit.
Actually yes. It isn't the case anymore because they finally got their shit together, but in the early days of HD broadcasting a decade or so ago, the NFL on Fox had a vastly superior picture to the NFL on any other network, Fox went all-in initially with the highest quality equipment and least compression.

While not nearly as common now, 5-10 years ago the quality of HD between various networks varied wildly.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The PS4 box has a handle. It is obviously the superior device
SHR46FU.png

Sean_sl

shitlord
You don't see why this might be a bad test? Whats the native resolution of the monitor? There is a reason people drop 500 bucks on video scalers.

I have never stated that there are no differences between 720 and 1080 resolution, but people are blowing this way out of proportion, so they can get their dick waving in.
No one is blowing anything out of proportion. 720p Vs. 1080p ishuge. It's a 125% difference. 125%. This isn't dickwaving. This is being annoyed at apologists like you trying to hand wave away something that is blatantly obvious.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Lol: Ryse: Son Of Rome Is As Fun As Dialing Phone Numbershttp://www.gameinformer.com/games/ry...e-numbers.aspx

If you've ever watched Lost, you're familiar with the character of Desmond Hume. The former monk was stranded on the series' mysterious island, and was tasked with repeatedly pressing the same series of buttons on a keyboard for weeks at a time. Why he had to do that is still pretty confusing to me (as is the rest of the series), but I was reminded of Desmond's task for the duration of my time with the demo for Ryse: Son of Rome. I spent two hours with the Xbox One title, but it felt like I was entering random numbers into a computer rather than actually playing a video game.

It's clear what Microsoft and developer Crytek are shooting for here. At launch, they want a big budget, epic action game that clearly demonstrates next-gen visuals. Ryse is undeniably pretty, but that's about all it had going for it in this demo. After a painfully generic story intro, the game began teaching me similarly uninspired combat mechanics. While it tries to sound like an in-depth action game with familiar elements like perfectly-timed blocks and focus meters, the actual experience is anything but deep.

I'm hoping that later levels introduce some more difficult enemies, as the dozens of encounters I had consisted of all the complexity of dialing phone numbers. Almost every fight started with me hitting the attack button a couple of times, then pushing the enemy in an effort to stop him from breaking my combo. Then, I'd continue attacking until he was weak enough for the execution sequence. Once this occurs, the game slows down and the enemy flashes various colors. You press the face button of the appropriate color, and your protagonist Marius dismembers or murders the foe in dramatic fashion.

It's so basic and predictable, I began testing to see if I could get past most combat situations with one hand. With my left hand completely off the controller, I was able to slice and dice through tons of enemies simply by inputting the same sequence ad nauseum. On a couple of occasions, the game would shift to sequences that involved me defending an area with crossbow stations or ordering my men to block arrows with their shields. These were somehow even less exciting than the tedious swordplay.

When I sat down at the Ryse: Son of Rome station, I was a fairly blank slate when it came to knowledge of the title. I knew it was developed by the talented team at Crytek, and I knew it was gorgeous based on the videos I had seen at conventions, so I was prepared to be impressed. What I didn't expect was a desire to get up and leave the demo about ten minutes in. I stuck it out in hopes that it would prove itself a deeper experience over time, but its only success was ensuring my wallet will be $60 heavier when the Xbox One launches.
Not that anyone didn't expect that, really.

Column_sl

shitlord
On the flipside the reporters are saying they love Dead rising. So you have one game that is essentially a rushed to release versus a game that seems to not be.

There at least providing some exclusives out there for gamers.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I don't think anyone expected Dead Rising to be a bad game.IfI was getting an Xbone I would definitely get it:http://www.gameinformer.com/games/de...at-effect.aspx

Playing as mechanic Nick Ramos, my objective was to break into a crematorium in an effort to get Zombrex medication. I had been bitten in a cutscene, and the clock was ticking until I presumably turned into one of the undead masses. As I searched for some wheels to get me there quicker, I had a chance to see the new vehicle combo system in action. Combining a motorcycle and a steamroller gave me the RollerHawg, a patriotic contraption that essentially adds a steamroller's front to a motorcycle's rear. It was a blast to speed down the street, mowing down hundreds of zombies.
They had me atRollerHawg.

I don't think Ryse is a "rushed" game. It's just a game with some really fucking retarded gameplay ideas and no sane person should have ever greenlighted. It was also originally a X360 Kinect-Only title. So yeah, I never held out any faith that it would be anything but shit.

Column_sl

shitlord
And back to my point people buy consoles for games. =)

You think the Halo ,and Gears of war fan cares what the PS4 can output if they can't even play those games?

Veil_sl

shitlord
Actually yes. It isn't the case anymore because they finally got their shit together, but in the early days of HD broadcasting a decade or so ago, the NFL on Fox had a vastly superior picture to the NFL on any other network, Fox went all-in initially with the highest quality equipment and least compression.

While not nearly as common now, 5-10 years ago the quality of HD between various networks varied wildly.
So, you believe less pixels was the better picture? And that now, its hard to tell the difference in number of pixels? ABC and Fox channels have been running 720 as opposed to CBS running 1080 forever.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Please, load up a game and set it to 720p. Then set it to 1080p. Then come back and tell us with a gigantic, bold faced lie that the "resolution thing" is bullshit. Or be honest and say you were wrong.
Yeah I think, again this time in all seriousness, a lot of folks are confused. They will set their systems to output 1080p and it's a 720p game upscaled internally on the system and they cannot tell the difference. They should quite literally shit their pants when they see the difference between a game natively built for 720 this generation compared to a game natively built for 1080p without upscaling. The resolution difference here is quite substantial.

The only reason there is a lot of confusion is because Microsoft is shitting their pants knowing most of their games will be at 720p so they are going out of their way to viral market it differently, as to say it isn't a big deal. In reality, it's a very big deal.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So, you believe less pixels was the better picture? And that now, its hard to tell the difference in number of pixels? ABC and Fox channels have been running 720 as opposed to CBS running 1080 forever.
It's possible I had the channels reversed...I just remember a definite difference between the various HD feeds. Some games looked great, another networks looked like ass in comparison. They most definitely did not all look the same.

Sean_sl

shitlord

You think the Halo ,and Gears of war fan cares what the PS4 can output if they can't even play those games?
No, but those franchises aren't enough on their own to secure the console's success. The PS4 will be the go-to system for multiplatform games this generation and that is going to be huge, because previously it was the X360's #1 selling point, not Halo.

If the Xbone is riding soley on Halo fans it's going to be another GameCube.

Column_sl

shitlord
as to say it isn't a big deal. In reality, it's a very big deal.
I disagree with you. It matters to me, and is why I decided to only get a PS4.

To the masses, like you just said they don't care as much. It's clear that they want to play there favorite games, and if one console has that over another that is where they are going to go.

Theres a HUGE difference between what the gamecube did versus what the Xbox will be offering.

First Gamecubes audience isn't adult gamers. People are excited for a new Halo, a new Gears, and now Titanfall.
O but Titanfall will be better on the PC! you know how many people have access to really nice gaming rigs? not many

Who knows what else they are going to bring later, and with exclusives like Killer Instinct they are certainly aren't going in the wrong direction.
You can't even compare that to what Nintendo did.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

Nobody is playing that shit anymore. Halo and Gears of War will die a quicker death than Call of Duty Ghosts is at this moment.

In fact, those two games above will have as good a chance at succeeding as our Canadian friend Quaid will have at trying to jam a mouse in his empty bottle of Elsinor beer and getting his weekend 24 pack at the Liquor Mart comped, hey.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No, but those franchises aren't enough on their own to secure the console's success. The PS4 will be the go-to system for multiplatform games this generation and that is going to be huge, because previously it was the X360's #1 selling point, not Halo.

LOL, getting call of duty DLCs faster will sell the xbone to xbros, dude. I get you about how vastly superior the PS4 is to the xbone, but in reality, the average joe schmoe does not give a shit. All his buddies are getting the xbone so why would he gt the PS4 to play by himself? Youre losing grip on reality here, dude.

There is one major cavat to this and thats the price. That $100 more will surely fuck Microsoft more than exclusives, 1080p vs 720p or any of that other bullshit youre spewing out here about voxels and pixels and whatever the fuck.