The Birdman (Michael Keaton!)

Xevy

Log Wizard
8.5/10

Pretty good, great performances. Some parts of the story seemed to disappear after a while.

Interesting that the play he's performing basically parallels his life, as he mentions. Wondering what the point of the lesbian scene was since it doesn't develop into anything. Same with Norton in general in the last 1/3 of the movie. He's hooking up with his daughter and acting out, but after their scuffle he doesn't even show up. Seemed weird. Keaton definitely deserves an award, though. His range from the beginning to the end is pretty awesome. His scene talking to his daughter about how the play is like a tiny hammer hitting him in the balls over and over again is great.

Would be 9/10 or better if boobs involved, though.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I completely agree with Keaton getting a best actor nod for this movie, but I really don't see why there is so much buzz about it being "best picture". Keaton was brilliant, to be sure (especially in the scene where he's faking about his father being a drunk. His range there is insane), but the rest of the movie just falls completely flat and adds various sideplots that never go anywhere at all.

6.5/10

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I thought Norton was the best performance in the film. Keaton a close second.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This movie was way more artsy than I thought it would be. Did not enjoy.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
It's a well done movie with a great cast who give amazing performances. Unfortunately I found the story a bit dull.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I watched this among many of the other Oscar nominees yesterday. Wasn't terribly impressed any of them. This was still good, but I think it was just a weak year.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This movie was way more artsy than I thought it would be. Did not enjoy.
well somebody had to be "that guy" and say that, i thought it was going to be me, but you beat me to it. i was expecting some kind of grand epic classic, instead i got a little quirky indy film about how butthurt everyone gets when comparing the stage to the silver screen. keaton was excellent, but the movie was just so full of itself. the interesting stuff like keaton's past, his efforts to make himself relevant through stage acting at the cost of all his wealth. his relationships with this wife and daughter and of course the whole birdman/telepathy aspect was what kept me from ditching this. but christ, stop making movies about the stage or broadway. acting is acting. nobody is different.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It took a long time to build up to things going off the rails and when things went off the rails they didn't go off the rails hard enough or long enough. Everyone does a super good job and the story is good but I wasn't blown away or anything. I think it would have been more interesting if they weren't constantly playing down his powers as delusions and left it more ambiguous throughout the entire film.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought it was fuckin great. Keaton was awesome and so was Norton. The faux single-shot style was great and really lent itself to the structure and presentation of a play. Alejandro Gonz?lez I??rritu rarely disappoints.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched it and while I think it was great (performances) I somewhat got bored with the story. I know it's oscarbait but to me it felt like at some point story didn't matter and it was all about actors studio. Both Keaton and Stone were IMO very good but Norton aced the thing, he got that James Dean / Denis Hopper feel pretty spot on.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
After reading the Oscar thread I thought this movie was going to be some amazing masterpiece. I'm glad there are a few people in this thread who weren't overly impressed. Keaton was decent, Norton was amazing at the beginning. Otherwise though, the story wasn't particularly captivating.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if this thread didnt keep getting bumped i would have forgotten all about this film. its nowhere near as good, interesting or creative as Nightcrawler.

just bought this on amazon. loved the fuck out of it. as an aside, going to check amazon for nightcrawler b/c of the post above. the trailer did look good.

but, birdman was fucking solid. great

EDIT:

fuckin nightcrawler isn't on amazon for another 3 days, i'll peep it then

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
just bought this on amazon. loved the fuck out of it. as an aside, going to check amazon for nightcrawler b/c of the post above. admittedly, the trailer did look good.

but, birdman was fucking solid. great
i would suggest you watch it before you buy it. i have weird taste in films at times. at the least you should check out others opinions in the nightcrawler thread.

Nightcrawler (No, NOT the X-Man)

iannis

Musty Nester
Eh, I could have done without the last 10 minutes / epilogue, and they did overindulge in 2 or 3 scenes... but it really was a very good film. It wouldn't have been able to end the way that it did, he would have had a watcher. Other than those few complaints it was Stronk.

I liked Nightcrawler as well. Also Stronk.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
This movie was awful. For a comedy most of the... comedy was shit. The plot was predictable. The "acting" was pretty solid.

This movie is a bunch of actors masturbating for two hours or however long this snore fest lasted. This movie is for people that wear turtlenecks and drink coffee made in places you couldn't find on a map before the internet.

Two thumbs up.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As a whole I think the movie is overrated, acting and camera was great but script is nothing special. I think a lot of people also just really want Keaton to have a comeback, otherwise there is a lot of actors that deserve best performance. JK Simmons for Whiplash, Jake Gyllanhaal were fantastic performances