The Black Company

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Finally finished the series. SPOILERS, BIG SERIES ENDING SPOILERS do not read if you plan on reading them:
My initial response having literally just finished it.
Everyone fucking dies Jesus Christ it is worse than RR Martin, even worse he put zero weight on anyone dying and leaves it all up to you to feel bad/imagine how it happens. He just moves on, never facing the grief etc. I almost feel robbed of story, especially with Goblin and One eye. It is so unresolved I feel like I need to drink to One Eye hoping he is still getting people with his cane in the after life, but that would be weird. Barely a sentence for each major character stating such and such died even mid battles etc, small blub and onto what is happening next. Croaker got what he really wanted at the end and Lady can go be Lady again possible more powerful then ever. ~Fin....Ton of unanswered questions is leaving me salty the more I think about it. Going to sleep on it and process before thinking about it more, I just get too attached to characters
frown.png

Rime

<Donor>
But it makes sense. If you lost someone close to you in a violent fashion and you knew that at any time, you could lose all of the other people close to you, you would not be able to linger and give grief to each of them. To keep his sanity, Croaker has to just move on. I loved the series. So much.

Seventh

Golden Squire
This review on GR sums up this series perfectly.

Daniel Roy on Goodreads_sl said:
Boy, this is one dark book. It's grim, gritty, and dripping with pain and viscera. It's the perfect antidote to all that high fantasy filled with beautiful people having sex between dragon battles. If it were a person, it would stare at people at parties and make them uncomfortable with its facial third degree burns.
And I agree w/Rime. Croaker rules, and so does this series.

except for the way Raven went out.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
How do you hate this series?
I thought the quality dropped off a bit once the Black Company returned to their "homeland"; it felt like there were more books than there strictly needed to be and the story got a bit convoluted, but that largely depends on how you feel about the usage of magic and its influence on storytelling. I'm a bigger fan of the few that take place on the Queens continent; the first 2 and The Silver Spike especially but its still a very readable series overall.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The only part of that article that really got me excited was:

There's a new Black Company novel coming out in 2018? Fuck yes.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Man, why couldn't a real network/showrunner have picked that series up. Its already going to be tough to do it justice anyways, but this group has never made anything worth watching. Excited someone picked up the rights, just wish it was someone worth a damn

Sterling

El Presidente
This is probably going to be terrible, but I really hope it works. I do enjoy me some Eliza Dushku though.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As the self-proclaimed biggest Black Company fan in existence, I've always wanted something like this to happen, but man, I'm just not sure this is what I wanted.

First, I'm not sure what network it would even be on? It definitely needs to be the equivalent of 'R' rated though. On top of that, the budget needs to be decent or some of the shit is just going to look terrible. Sure, most of it is just normal dudes, but One-Eye and Goblin need to be able to fuck around magically (at least once every episode or two), and the Taken and Lady need to be able to throw out some truly impressive shit.

Second, if they do anything more than the original trilogy, it better be after like Season 6. I want the first 3 books to be all they care about, and if for some reason they want more seasons after that, move onto Silver Spike and Dreams of Steel, etc. The main trilogy is more than enough to base a show around.

Third, if they somehow work Enver Gjokaj into the cast, I will cut them some slack elsewhere. It is possible, since he was in Dollhouse with Dushku.

Finally, I've had a picture in my head of The Lady for over 3 decades. Eliza Dushku, while hot, is not anywhere close. Croaker, Goblin, One-Eye, the Captain, Silent, Darling, etc. are all super-important castings, of course, but the fucking Lady is going to be, for lack of a better term, the Cersei Lannister of this show. I like Dushku, but I just don't know. Maybe she can pull it off, and I'll give her a chance, but the wrong Lady is just going to bug me no matter how good the rest of the show is.

This and Elric of Melnibone are literally my two dream shows I want made. I'm really hoping they can pull this one off, because I'll never see another version in my lifetime, so if it sucks... :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, Port of Shadows has literally been "soon" for about a decade too. I'll believe it when I see it. And if it sucks anywhere near as hard as the first Instrumentalities book, I'll probably go on a murderous rampage.

Last edited:

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah when I read Dushku was gonna be the Lady I just gave up hope of it being any good. I'm already picturing a CW or Shannara type show with the Black Company as a story line, kill me now.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah when I read Dushku was gonna be the Lady I just gave up hope of it being any good. I'm already picturing a CW or Shannara type show with the Black Company as a story line, kill me now.

Or worse, it will end up on Fox and being pretty descent...

+1 for Enver Gjokaj

This series is one of my "I am so jealous of anyone getting to read it for the first time" favorites.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user