The Boys

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The third season started out strong, was building up momentum with a few minor speed bumps, eventually started veering onto the grass, and then spun out in the end off a cliff so Lakitu plopped it back on the starting line.

The major highlight is that they put Soldier Boy on ice seeing as how he still wound up looking like the best character of the lot despite their desperate attempts at making him out to be worse than Evil Superman on the verge of a psychotic break. I found myself looking at the other characters I used to like as being at best slightly insufferable by the final stroke, and at worst totally regressed and unrecognizable.

Hughie was a character who I couldn't really stand in the first season, but he finally seemed to learn how not to be such a fucking doormat in the last season, only for the writers to re-emasculate him and turn him back into that hollowed out "yes, dear" meme.

I'm still waiting for one of these pussies to outline what in the nebulous hell "toxic masculinity" even is, because the real problem is clearly some people these days being spineless and terminally estrogenic.

Butcher for 23 episodes:
"I'm going to kill Homelander and eradicate the supes once and for all. Also, my kid's a twat who I kind of hate because he's the supe spawn constant reminder of the cunt who raped my wife."

Butcher on the season finale:
"Actually, I don't care about killing Homelander because the only person who could possibly stop him gave my prick kid a slap. Oi, goodbye Homelander! Tell Ryan to eat his veggies and support his lego videos for me!"

As for Soldier Boy, apparently the writers sorta forgot they had him literally describe Bill Cosby as "America's dad," but because victims related to one of the main characters were collateral damage and happened to be black, he's racist. Never mind that "racist" basically implies the exact opposite of collateral damage; it would be one thing for MM to call out Soldier Boy for being negligent, but the show turned a mysterious backstory to his vendetta that could have gone somewhere into him drawing the race card.

It's details like that where I struggle to have confidence in showrunners and writers who rely so heavily on not merely telling over showing the audience, but poorly trying to gaslight them into believing their wildly incoherent narrative shifts. E.g. how that "racist" man who wants to drink, smoke, and bang old women is somehow worse than the guy capable of committing genocide on a fly-by because someone pissed him off enough on the wrong day.

Technically the plot moved, but it's still effectively a soft restart (kind of like every season of Supernatural after a certain point), and it comes off as though they're hoping to just trick enough of the audience into thinking that everything still tracks in next season and the characters aren't all slightly schizophrenic since they're all back to where they started last season. That might be harsh, but I could see Amazon rethinking their plans after Rangz was received like a wet fart and relying even more heavily on The Boys being around for a while until they can come up with something else.

I agree with everything but the Butcher and kid thing.

He didn't hate the kid he was trying to keep him distant to protect him and he sees him as the last living part of his wife similar to John Wick's puppy

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One can only imagine Season 4 will have even more anti-Right propaganda.
"Never go full TDS."

By the time the finale ended, you'd almost think that Sillie (someone from the bb.com forums) was in the writing room. The last episode confirmed that TDS fried their brains to a crisp if they're at the point of believing that genocidal Superman is the perfect vessel for them to shove in Trump references.

I get the feeling that the fourth episode won't revolve around Starlight managing to leave the planet on the brink of WWIII while Homelander is just busy giving speeches.
I agree with everything but the Butcher and kid thing.

He didn't hate the kid he was trying to keep him distant to protect him and he sees him as the last living part of his wife similar to John Wick's puppy
Very true and an exaggeration; at most he was conflicted about his son being both a supe and Homelander's offspring. Although now he has a reason to be even more conflicted if Ryan is favoring Homelander over him.

Just that last shot of the three where Homelander has his hand on Ryan's shoulder walking away while Butcher has to deal with his own fuck up was beyond stupid. Especially when Butcher knows that Ryan's part-Homelander and what Soldier Boy did was basically like getting shoved out of the way.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fadaar

That guy
The third season started out strong, was building up momentum with a few minor speed bumps, eventually started veering onto the grass, and then spun out in the end off a cliff so Lakitu plopped it back on the starting line.

The major highlight is that they put Soldier Boy on ice seeing as how he still wound up looking like the best character of the lot despite their desperate attempts at making him out to be worse than Evil Superman on the verge of a psychotic break. I found myself looking at the other characters I used to like as being at best slightly insufferable by the final stroke, and at worst totally regressed and unrecognizable.

Hughie was a character who I couldn't really stand in the first season, but he finally seemed to learn how not to be such a fucking doormat in the last season, only for the writers to re-emasculate him and turn him back into that hollowed out "yes, dear" meme.

I'm still waiting for one of these pussies to outline what in the nebulous hell "toxic masculinity" even is, because the real problem is clearly some people these days being spineless and terminally estrogenic.

Butcher for 23 episodes:
"I'm going to kill Homelander and eradicate the supes once and for all. Also, my kid's a twat who I kind of hate because he's the supe spawn constant reminder of the cunt who raped my wife."

Butcher on the season finale:
"Actually, I don't care about killing Homelander because the only person who could possibly stop him gave my prick kid a slap. Oi, goodbye Homelander! Tell Ryan to eat his veggies and support his lego videos for me!"

As for Soldier Boy, apparently the writers sorta forgot they had him literally describe Bill Cosby as "America's dad," but because victims related to one of the main characters were collateral damage and happened to be black, he's racist. Never mind that "racist" basically implies the exact opposite of collateral damage; it would be one thing for MM to call out Soldier Boy for being negligent, but the show turned a mysterious backstory to his vendetta that could have gone somewhere into him drawing the race card.

It's details like that where I struggle to have confidence in showrunners and writers who rely so heavily on not merely telling over showing the audience, but poorly trying to gaslight them into believing their wildly incoherent narrative shifts. E.g. how that "racist" man who wants to drink, smoke, and bang old women is somehow worse than the guy capable of committing genocide on a fly-by because someone pissed him off enough on the wrong day.

Technically the plot moved, but it's still effectively a soft restart (kind of like every season of Supernatural after a certain point), and it comes off as though they're hoping to just trick enough of the audience into thinking that everything still tracks in next season and the characters aren't all slightly schizophrenic since they're all back to where they started last season. That might be harsh, but I could see Amazon rethinking their plans after Rangz was received like a wet fart and relying even more heavily on The Boys being around for a while until they can come up with something else.

Would have been a great scene if Soldier Boy had stopped and asked MM straight to his face "why the fuck am I a racist?". With proper writing he would have fumbled with his explanation and SB could have explained that while yes, he fucked up and was negligent and apathetic, he did not discriminate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Would have been a great scene if Soldier Boy had stopped and asked MM straight to his face "why the fuck am I a racist?". With proper writing he would have fumbled with his explanation and SB could have explained that while yes, he fucked up and was negligent and apathetic, he did not discriminate.
Yeah but in today's narrative, being negligent and apathetic is even worse than being an outright racist

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>

I also would have accepted "Thanks for noticing."

• 1Worf

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Good most of the marvel shows were shit.

Screenshot_2023-01-29-20-50-17-89_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Where you getting that? I think season 3 actually had more views that RoP on amazon

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They're the Neilsen stats from their software on all the streaming servers, posted in the Disney+ thread.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Where you getting that? I think season 3 actually had more views that RoP on amazon

From Nielsen. If you look at the actual list it gives a number of episodes.

The movie chart is dominated by movies like Moana and Frozen that came out in 2013-2016

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
looks like they are starting to gear up the marketing for the next season, probably see a trailer soon. also poster for the spinoff Gen V (I assume this is the teenager/college show)

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
looks like they are starting to gear up the marketing for the next season, probably see a trailer soon. also poster for the spinoff Gen V (I assume this is the teenager/college show)

I can’t wait to see how they fail to seriously engage Homelander in the season finale again.

Also which character will suddenly be strong enough to go toe to toe with Superman out of nowhere this time?

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
The show is great but they blew their load and fucked it up. Still could be a fun watch but there is no way they can write a way to stop Homelander that wont be cheese

• 1Like

Brad2770

I can’t wait to see how they fail to seriously engage Homelander in the season finale again.

Also which character will suddenly be strong enough to go toe to toe with Superman out of nowhere this time?
Doesn’t matter what character, but we know it will be female.

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The show is great but they blew their load and fucked it up. Still could be a fun watch but there is no way they can write a way to stop Homelander that wont be cheese
Maybe...just maybe Homelander wins. Really though his kid will kill him or something equally boring.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just want them to continue down the line that Homelander is a neo-nazi version of Trump and that everyone else, starlight etc. are just woke pussies. Totally steps away from the lore of the comic - but idc. Just something about watching liberals write, and twist the storyline to fit their narrative only for it to end up putting Homelander in a positive light.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just want them to continue down the line that Homelander is a neo-nazi version of Trump and that everyone else, starlight etc. are just woke pussies. Totally steps away from the lore of the comic - but idc. Just something about watching liberals write, and twist the storyline to fit their narrative only for it to end up putting Homelander in a positive light.
i thought trump WAS the neo-nazi version of trump?

• 2Worf