The Boys

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The original Star Trek had talented writers that understood how to convey a message with nuance and subtlety. This is not that.
There is nothing subtle about a half black / half white alien and his opposite.

Subtlety is not required.

Discovery sucks, not because of it's woke narratives, but because the writing is some of the most atrocious ever put on the screen. The Boys is great in spite of the woke stuff, so was Star Trek.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
it's been said a ton, but there is a HUGE difference between being progressive (not politically progressive) and being woke. star trek was progressive. star trek challenged stereotypes in creative and uplifting ways. in star trek you can have the hatfields and mccoys find common ground and make peace. but if you're being woke, then the hatfields find peace by starting a smear campaign against the mccoys so the public turns against them and honors the hatfields for being brave after surviving a 100 year war that they incited
There is a reason 50 years later Star Trek is still good (special effects accepted of course). It really was this 60's peace love and happiness shit, but rarely beat you over the head with it.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
At least the head popper was a unseen twist.

Ryan being the CIA ace in the hole going forward also interesting.

Other than that was pretty bad. At least they included the Homelander jerking off scene they pulled from last season.
If you notice at the end of episode 7 every one she looked at their head seemed to explode in that scene.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Is this motherfucker really trying to compare Star Trek breaking down racial barriers with The Boys writers implicating that the US President and all his supporters are racist, fear-mongering Nazis?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this motherfucker really trying to compare Star Trek breaking down racial barriers with The Boys writers implicating that the US President and all his supporters are racist, fear-mongering Nazis?
The show stands on it's own and does not need a knowledge of Trump or any other current event to enjoy. The nazi stuff works because Stromfront isn't a contemporary human. She is over a hundred years old and is an ACTUAL Nazi.

Even Homelander doesn't really buy into her BS, as despicable as he is. Most of the villians can't abide her. The connection to Trump is tenuous at best. And not as overt as your super sensitive soft spots imagine.

Did the writers intend to be topical? Yes, of course. But the show works without any knowledge of current events, which is a credit to them.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who WTF'd at the eye-stabbing, and the amazing non-flying Maeve with her invisible helicopter. If it wasn't present day, the Nazi thing and the girl power thing would be fine, but it is present day so, eyerolls galore. Also not happy how just about everything was tied up in a neat little bow.

That said, I'm very happy they've now set the show up to be more like the comics, which will allow much more interesting individual episodes while still keeping the larger plot in the background. When I think of all the wasted time on The Deep this season.... ug

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
50 years from now, historians will be talking about The Boys and its important message that helped the world like no other. "Girls get it done" will go down in history to be included with the first televised interracial kiss. "Do we really have to say that Nazis are bad?" will be considered the turning point where white supremacy was finally squashed, and 'being reckless is a white man's privilege" will be the clarion call to all privileged white people that black people have harder lives than them.

Truly awe inspiring important writing.

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The season was fine but the finale was garbage.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity

Cybsled

"Girls get it done" will go down in history to be included with the first televised interracial kiss

It was a callback joke FFS. Vought tries some "girls get it done" corporate shit early in the season, then Frenchie lands it as a punchline when Stormfront is getting stomped. If you got triggered over that, you're way too sensitive.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Pathetic
  • 1Picard

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
50 years from now, historians will be talking about The Boys and its important message that helped the world like no other. "Girls get it done" will go down in history to be included with the first televised interracial kiss. "Do we really have to say that Nazis are bad?" will be considered the turning point where white supremacy was finally squashed, and 'being reckless is a white man's privilege" will be the clarion call to all privileged white people that black people have harder lives than them.

Truly awe inspiring important writing.
50 years from now, nobody will give a fuck about today's issues. Nobody cares about the 60's and they were a lot more intense than today's BLM stupidity.

They won't care about Covid unless there is another pandemic happening. Most people didn't even know about the Spanish Flu unitl Covid hit.

Nobody cares about yesterday. Which actually is the problem, because it's all about feelings. And feelings only happen in the moment.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It was a callback joke FFS. Vought tries some "girls get it done" corporate shit early in the season, then Frenchie lands it as a punchline when Stormfront is getting stomped. If you got triggered over that, you're way too sensitive.
Who said I was triggered by it? Being critical of shit writing is being triggered now? Are you projecting here, or just being overly protective of a television show?

Cybsled

The fact you're bring up a joke and in the context of everything else in that post highlighted you were taking it for far more than what it actually was.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The fact you're bring up a joke and in the context of everything else in that post highlighted you were taking it for far more than what it actually was.
I'm really not in the mood to beat you over the head with some basic reasoning, so let me spell it out to you: It was a shitty poorly written joke that smelled of intentional messaging the same as the other ones I mentioned. That it was setup in a previous episode is fucking irrelevant.

Maybe you appreciate the joke more than I, that could certainly be the case as I don't have a vagina and am therefore not the target audience for that moment.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Worf

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Okay so I just watched it.

Stormfront being stabbed in the eye makes sense if you read the comics and makes as much sense as sticking a bomb up the ass of a man who’s indestructible, to kill him. like, translucents skin should never have flown apart yet no one bitched about that. Why do it here? It’s not far fetched.

the supes eyes have always been a weakness, it’s just never been mentioned a ton in the show, which, whatever.

girl moment was a whole thing that was forced, but I’ll look past it. My wife and daughter laughed at it, so whatever it catered to them and they are part of the audience too. So I’ll let Em have that.

overall season 1 was better than 2 for sure but I really liked this final. Head popper reveal Was pretty awesome. Really looking forward to how they do season 3.

spronk

FPS noob
it woulda been far more interesting to have stormfront's fall take place in more than 5 minutes. Its ludicrous that the show has repeatedly shown Vought tap dance around every single charge brought up against it, including how Compound V works, and then have everyone simply accept Stormfront is really a nazi and have the entire world condemn her instantly for it.

If the show wants to be "political" then it needs to get its fucking message straight, Trump has shuffled around every single charge against him for years extremely successfully, THATS what the show should have done. Huey and Starlight "expose" Stormfront and she and Vought easily counter it with "fake photoshops", deepfakes (as she throws out a line), thats not me, Russian troll farms, liberal commies are trying to silence a true patriot, etc. Its pretty ludicrous that uploaded internet photos of "archive photos" will be taken for 100% fact by the entire world in the span of 1 hour.

Season 1 was them mocking typical marvel/comic TV shows and movies and showing a world where supes in the real would be absolutely terrifying and horrific for normal people. Season 2 doesn't really do that AT ALL, it portrays a world where everyone is in it for the money (Stan Edgar, Scientology guy) and thats a super boring, typical TV show trope. Lame and boring.

• 2Like

Cybsled

If the show wants to be "political" then it needs to get its fucking message straight, Trump has shuffled around every single charge against him for years extremely successfully, THATS what the show should have done. Huey and Starlight "expose" Stormfront and she and Vought easily counter it with "fake photoshops", deepfakes (as she throws out a line), thats not me, Russian troll farms, liberal commies are trying to silence a true patriot, etc. Its pretty ludicrous that uploaded internet photos of "archive photos" will be taken for 100% fact by the entire world in the span of 1 hour.

She never got a chance to counter it and honestly knee jerk instant reaction on the internet is realistic in today's era. Just before she fights, she even mentions that she will chalk it up to deepfakes.

Then Vought throws her under the bus and blames the terror attack at the House hearing on her. If she had an opportunity, she probably could have sown enough doubt to create a culture rift and blame it on "fake news" or whatever. Which would have been even more on the nose.

What I strongly suspect is based on how the episode ended with her, they are going to do something semi-similiar to how Lamplighter's fate was handled in the comics.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
She never got a chance to counter it and honestly knee jerk instant reaction on the internet is realistic in today's era. Just before she fights, she even mentions that she will chalk it up to deepfakes.

Then Vought throws her under the bus and blames the terror attack at the House hearing on her. If she had an opportunity, she probably could have sown enough doubt to create a culture rift and blame it on "fake news" or whatever. Which would have been even more on the nose.

What I strongly suspect is based on how the episode ended with her, they are going to do something semi-similiar to how Lamplighter's fate was handled in the comics.

yeah, they kinda swapped out Lamplighters fate for hers, which I don’t have issues with but I guess I didn’t really think about till you mentioned it now.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I was really hoping there would be more (any?) payoff for The Deep's storyline.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Deep's storyline in this show is basically "how can we make the Deep suffer today?" lol

• 2Worf