The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)

Ome

Molten Core Raider
This Netflix move and the lack of these movies truly being Cloverfield related has doomed any future releases straight to Netflix. I cant imagine anyone going to pay money to see one of these spin offs at this point.

spronk

FPS noob
netflix apparently paid $50m, the movie cost $40m and paramount still gets to sell the movie on dvd and they keep the money from china sales

i doubt it woulda made $40m in theaters so probably works out pretty good for paramount

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I already pay for Netflix and an unlimited download internet connection so this movie didn't cost me anything other than time that I would have squandered anyways. I have watched some really, really bad movies on Netflix and could spend hours writing short reviews on the 'Rate movies you have watched recently' thread. If I had to actually waste time downloading this or fucking with the God awful 'On Demand' service it would have been a 5 at best.

That is why I like Netflix, I don't feel cheated when I watch something that is utter and complete garbage. Not like I 'watch' things anymore anyways, I'm either doing housework, fucking around on my ipad/pc, or something else while the movie is on.

That being said, I don't blame anyone for not liking this, it is a deeply flawed movie that could, and should, have been a whole lot better.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Gugu is so hot. Only good part about Martha Jones run on Doctor Who was that she played her hot sister.

This was all sorts of levels of bad for most the reasons covered. If I had to say something nice it'd be the cast tried so damn hard to make this work. I'd rather watch a movie about the German and Chinese takeover of the world. The arm thing is just so bad. I was waiting for Fester to run down the hall after it. But hey let's throw in a monster at the very end. All tied up. Rawr!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

Some interesting stuff I read and didn't think about, spoilers ho and all that jazz
the magnet stuff suddenly happened because the other station was being lifted out of the water with cranes
did it say why the repair putty turned into tentacles?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would guess that the repair putty was made from a metallic compound. The device would insert into the putty and be electrically charged leading to a reaction that caused it to shape and seal around a particular part.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I thought the way that scene was going to go was the dude was going to find himself between the putty and the magnetic field and bad things would occur. I have no idea why it snatched him like tentacles, pulled him back to the wall, and tried to assimilate him into the Borg Collective.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
What a garbage pile. Up to and including the woman in wall scene, things had potential, but it got so bad so fast.

I also don't get how there are more of these movies being planned? These aren't real movies....they are just random "straight to dvds" which someone slaps a Cloverfield title on after production is over, and a about 5 minutes of added footage to give some sort of single world tie-in. Fuck they could do that with any movie, maybe Death Wish 4 was really Cloverfield universe, maybe Lord of the Rings Two Towers was Cloverfield universe.

If they actually make Cloverfield movies, I'd be first in line, I like the idea...this stuff is silly though.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
did it say why the repair putty turned into tentacles?

no, but i'd guess the dude would make putty vaginas and make it go hard around his dick so it was finally time for the now sentient putty to get some revenge

Then you're doing it wrong

hdr on nvidia cards are a mess. To turn on HDR mode i have too set the nvidia color settings to default, otherwise windows 10 won't allow me to enable HDR (why its not an nvidia setting is beyond me). If I do that though the colors look kinda fucked up for normal SDR content, a bit washed out. So either I run with a shitty SDR and HDR turned on, or HDR off and SDR looked good. Its not like consoles where HDR can be turned on just for a single movie or game, its an always on or always off thing on Windows 10/Nvidia. I googled it a bit and everyone just seems to give up and say fuck it, wait for real HDR monitors and HDMI 2.1 or something to make HDR better on PC.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The science in this movie is painful, from the very premise to the fucked up way they simulate gravity with rotation I found myself yelling at the screen with alarming frequency.

Goatface

on the gravity thing, how was there gravity when they went out to decouple the spinning section?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I googled it a bit and everyone just seems to give up and say fuck it, wait for real HDR monitors and HDMI 2.1 or something to make HDR better on PC.

Everyone except Madshi of MadVR, lol

HDR content playback works fine, if you can't get it working then like I said you're doing it wrong.

I don't play games on my PC so I have no need for HDR on Windows to be turned on. My PC is exclusively used for video playback of both SDR and HDR content. MadVR detects HDR and sends it to the TV, it's simple

• 1Picard

Caliane

yep. this is kindof a frustrating mess. Just super derivative of other better, "oops we opened a portal to another dimension" movies, and video games.
Its a derivative premise, that could have been saved in execution or a clever finale. And the execution and finale are the moves two worst problems.

Like in this thread, the suggestion that the two worlds were linked with entanglement, and things happening in one dimension, were causing weird/physics breaking things to happen in the OTHER would have been fantastic. But, that is NOT what is happening.

The other station crashed immediately. lady getting teleported into the bulkhead. ok. that is possible.. and the two guys merging into one, ok interesting. The worms.. no, he already got merged. and they didnt swap universes, they just teleported. oh, and also the compass teleported into him as well.. but was not visible despite being like a basketball sized sphere...

At this point the other station was also crashed. how would alt version of that guy's arm even know where the compass on this side was? and, he would have been dead from the crashed station.

There are tons of ways to suggestion entanglement. Stranger things does it, with the lights and physic dreams in the Under.
"those weren't my logs" was good.

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yeah swapping universes would make more sense, but that wouldn't explain how the station ended up on the opposite side of the sun.
For that matter how the heck does the engineer end up in the wall given that the station was, again, on the opposite side of the sun.
Oh and how is she meant to get back to Earth at the end using the shuttle since they are ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE SUN!

spronk

FPS noob
Everyone except Madshi of MadVR, lol

HDR content playback works fine, if you can't get it working then like I said you're doing it wrong.

I don't play games on my PC so I have no need for HDR on Windows to be turned on. My PC is exclusively used for video playback of both SDR and HDR content. MadVR detects HDR and sends it to the TV, it's simple

Are you using Windows 8? The Windows 10 Creator's Update enabled and fucked HDR up mightily on PC, I assume you aren't using Windows 10 because its a very common and much talked about problem on avs forum, MadVR included.

The author of MadVR (madshi) has himself said Windows 10 is fucked for HDR and recommends Windows 8.1, especially with nvidia cards where new driver updates themselves bug out HDR:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...assthrough-isn-t-working-12.html#post55591056

Latest nvidia updates may have fixed things though, just ran a LG sample MKV and Dunkirk MKV file that has HDR through MPC/MadVR and my LG says HDR mode is on, even though HDR Is off in Windows 10 for the monitor.

Last edited:

Jait

Molten Core Raider
What a garbage pile. Up to and including the woman in wall scene, things had potential, but it got so bad so fast.

I also don't get how there are more of these movies being planned? These aren't real movies....they are just random "straight to dvds" which someone slaps a Cloverfield title on after production is over, and a about 5 minutes of added footage to give some sort of single world tie-in. Fuck they could do that with any movie, maybe Death Wish 4 was really Cloverfield universe, maybe Lord of the Rings Two Towers was Cloverfield universe.

If they actually make Cloverfield movies, I'd be first in line, I like the idea...this stuff is silly though.

That's how I felt. They could have just as easily made this an Outer Limits episode. And it would have been better received.

• 1Like

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I thought it was OK for what it was - a sci fi flick ala Event Horizon with a tie-in to Cloverfield. That's pretty much what was delivered. The entanglement dimension-shifting stuff was weird- but lets remember that in Cloverfield Lane there were -aliens- and they managed to somehow rip a gigantic Monster to Earth. So, saying "well they just mashed their dimensions up but it doesn't make sense" doesn't take into account the dimensions that the huge flipping monster came from, the aliens came from, etc etc. Roy's arm was sentient. It's still there on the space station being sentient. Am I trying to figure out why? Nope, because dimension colliding paradox ementating bullshit just happened. Lot of armchair analysis on what is supposed to be a popcorn flick movie. Cloverfield doesn't look like it takes itself too seriously. The science is whack - who cares. Do you yell at the screen when Sharknado comes on because of how implausible it is?

End of the day, it was an entertaining hour of movie, the cast was great (imo) and it connects some dots and leaves some questions.
It does suffer from the "Our standalone movie was a success, quick make 2 prequels, 5 sequels, and call Hasbro we need some action figures!" but I mean when you square it up against Taken, Taken 2, Taken 3... it ain't so bad.