The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rime

<Donor>
I have been trying to get into 5th edition, but it feels watered down? It is heads and shoulders above 4th edition, but feels inferior to 3.5.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I have been trying to get into 5th edition, but it feels watered down? It is heads and shoulders above 4th edition, but feels inferior to 3.5.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Out of curiosity, where do you feel it's watered down? It's definitely condensed and some useless fluff removed, but IMO the changes were pretty much great across the board. Since then, UA and Homebrew supplements have pretty much taken care of anything I'd ever want.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I'm sure I am not in the majority on this. But me and my group of players liked 4e the most. Mainly I think it's because 9 out of 10 of them say Oh cool I can do more then just attack finally. If it ain't on paper infront of thrm it doesn't cross their minds. But I still don't like how everyone's hp pool I basically all the same.

Rime

<Donor>
Out of curiosity, where do you feel it's watered down? It's definitely condensed and some useless fluff removed, but IMO the changes were pretty much great across the board. Since then, UA and Homebrew supplements have pretty much taken care of anything I'd ever want.

I guess I feel that the lack of prestige class/system and the change to the Feat and Skills system really limit characters more than they were in 3.5.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
4E was horrendous imo. 5E isn't watered down it's just very concise. It was made with the idea of putting the focus back on story/roleplaying as opposed to stats/abilities.

I like 5E a lot for what it is. That said I like something a little more complex and crunchy. Pathfinder kind of scratches that itch but because it was developed as a 3.5 overlay it suffers from some of the same issues D&D 3.5 suffers from.

There is a market for a complex, malleable, skill-based system with plenty of depth but reasonably simple gameplay. If I ever finish my system I'm going to tap into that market ;)

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have really been enjoouing dungeon world, rules are more simplified but are built to force more creativity and role playing, and having a bad session isn't so bad cause the m

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have really been enjoouing dungeon world, rules are more simplified but are built to force more creativity and role playing, and having a bad session isn't so bad cause the m

I'm picturing you sitting there typing at your computer and someone just came up behind you and put a bullet in your head. Hope this isn't the case.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have really been enjoouing dungeon world, rules are more simplified but are built to force more creativity and role playing, and having a bad session isn't so bad cause the more you fail the faster you level.
fixed it

Rime

<Donor>
A few games of 5th edition in (and lots of finger-walking through the various guide books) and it seems that Casters are once again 'gods' compared to martial classes, which makes me sad. That and the relative low-magic system still have me on the fence. Running with two different groups on roll20 and enjoying the company, if not exactly the game system.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
A few games of 5th edition in (and lots of finger-walking through the various guide books) and it seems that Casters are once again 'gods' compared to martial classes, which makes me sad. That and the relative low-magic system still have me on the fence. Running with two different groups on roll20 and enjoying the company, if not exactly the game system.

5th edition god is half-orc totem barbarian with a great axe, as a DM I hate seeing them. If I tune the encounters on par with the barbarian all others are at high risk, if I keep most encounters as is the barbarian is unkillable.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have a wizard in my party. 3 players, lvl 16. We've been playing for just over a year and this wizard... the paladin and i (grave cleric) are in heavy armor and he's in robes. He can't die. The dm keeps trying to single him out but his ac and hp are just too high. He's got higher ac than both of us. When he casts shield he gets 26 or 27 ac. Not only that but he breaks every encounter with off the wall spell usage.

Barbarian are on another tier, sure, but a creative wizard will break every rule that's set

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Shit we were playing ToA (not playing second session anymore RIP) and at level 4 the Wizard had 19 AC, and was using Shadow Blade (or some such close from UA) and doing 2D8 melee attacks. He could also throw it - and resummon it to him as a bonus action.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I played a wizard for a year with my group. I was 14 before he died. I agree they can get pretty rediculous.

The best part about being a wizard is just how creative you can get with anything. I started feeling bad for our DM because I was playing the pure control wizard. I think he couldn't come up with anything more creative than "throw lots of monsters at us".

I think he began to resent my character though through many sessions I let myself be a backseat party member and let my party do most of the thinking and strategy.

Honestly I think he's just tired of being a DM.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I've got the itch to get back into tabletop gaming through roll20 or another site.

My availability is any day, any time, and any system.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I started playing in a 1st edition group last year. Not up with the 1000x edition nonsense, have not played D and D in decades until this recent group formed.

Sterling

El Presidente
I started playing in a 1st edition group last year. Not up with the 1000x edition nonsense, have not played D and D in decades until this recent group formed.
1st edition is how I grew up on gaming. Unearthed Arcana was some wildly unbalanced shit though. Cavaliers and Barbarians are crazy and Paladins just getting full Cavalier abilities for nothing was pretty nutty. My first serious RPG character was a Gnome Thief/Illusionist named Malaki. Totally stolen from Children of the Corn and I had no idea that the names were Biblical references!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I prefer the game run without Unearthed Arcana except for the new spells, which are fine. Love the hard coreness of by the book 1st edition. I had 4 characters die out of 7 or 8 game sessions, was hilarious actually haha.