The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I to love the lethality that is first edition. There is nothing like it.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Been running weekly D&D campaigns with some EQ guildies now that Agnarr is over. Been using discord and Roll20 and I've been going through the Chaos and Melvaunt modules.

They are quick 4 hour mini adventures that all line up nicely with a good mix of puzzles and Combat, not a lot of downtime for RP though.

I would recommend them for anyone looking to start a lvl 1 campaign first PDF is called a scream in the night.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys. Gnolls are the fucking worst, amirite?

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Worf

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
What's with the invasion of cunts into D&D? Seems like in the last few years, at least on roll20, more than half the players are cunts.

Go knit something or buy shoes. This isn't for you.

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
What's with the invasion of cunts into D&D? Seems like in the last few years, at least on roll20, more than half the players are cunts.

Go knit something or buy shoes. This isn't for you.

Philly hipsters are playing Dungeons & Dragons, as old becomes new

Alternate title Philadelphia Hipsters ruin D&D for the rest of us.

D&D is blowing up right now because the shit hipster crowd realized they can roleplay their gender dysphoria as an otherkin trans half dragon barbarian while making Donald Trump the bad guy of their campaign.

They can also do this while attention seeking in public or online.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been running weekly D&D campaigns with some EQ guildies now that Agnarr is over. Been using discord and Roll20 and I've been going through the Chaos and Melvaunt modules.

They are quick 4 hour mini adventures that all line up nicely with a good mix of puzzles and Combat, not a lot of downtime for RP though.

I would recommend them for anyone looking to start a lvl 1 campaign first PDF is called a scream in the night.
Ever feel compelled to recreate EQ in your campaigns?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I feel as if the original EQ (and actually the expansions) would be pretty simple to create into a homebrew campaign.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I feel as if the original EQ (and actually the expansions) would be pretty simple to create into a homebrew campaign.

I don't know how far the product line goes but there are at least a couple d20 / 3rd Edition era Everquest tie-in books for Dungeons and Dragons.

EQ.jpg

I did use EQ as a backdrop once for some new players. Was just a few sessions and I had nothing to prepared so I used Greater Faydark, Crushbone, etc. Was handy not to have to make up names/locations up on the fly.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
My group actually played around with the EQ pnp RPG. I was pretty dubious about it, but it ended up being a blast. The system was well-designed and Norrath makes a surprisingly decent pnp gaming setting. The advantage is that we all knew the setting, so when the GM started describing Felwithe (for example), we were all picturing the same thing.

There were tons of opportunities to joke about in-game shit like trains and undercons and other things that had pretty amusing translations in the pnp RPG. I think our group laughed more than we ever had before. Only one guy in our group hadn't actually played EQ, and he sat around clueless while we joked.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Ever feel compelled to recreate EQ in your campaigns?

Most of my rl d&d group are in their mid 20s and have never heard of eq so I routinely rip off names, settings and ideas from EQ for my campaign. For extra personal entertainment I use the names and personalities of my old guildies for a lot of my NPCs.

I need a new BBEG for the latest campaign arc, maybe it's time to use the Sleeper story...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I checked Amazon on that Everquest RPG game and it looks like it goes all the way up to Luclin. Fucking sweet!

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
That eq tabletop has a "raid" book for hate, then began writing the one for gear then it all fell apart.

I've got the full set of the books. They are seriously so cool. All the quests and items and lore to read. I use alot of items from the books. And every halloween I run my own dnd halloween event. I've given out quite a few eq themed items during rhem.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
The hate raid book also has all (I think) of the epic quest chains in it. Which are really cool the way it was all done

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Totally out of the blue, but could use some help if anyone is bored/interested.

So, I'm doing a short intermission session, just a 1 or 2 night adventure, that I want to be themed similarly to one of those 80's Snow Patrol style movies. Overall, this is sort of a mini adventure/break for the characters, so I want the focus to be more fun and less someones going to die. My players are pretty good about sticking with the story and following breadcrumbs, and I can usually steer them if needed, so its fine if its pretty railroady. Here's what I have so far.

Small human village at the base of a mountain, with a great dwarven hunting hall slightly higher. The dwarves are in the middle of a big celebration, they have lived and prospered here for 100 years, after escaping the toils of cave living and thriving outdoors. The local humans love the dwarves because they are super generous and friendly, plus they protect the town from all the monsters up the mountain. (The human town has only been here about 40 years, so they only know what they have been told by the dwarves)

The PC's arrive and have some reason to go up the mountain (need a hook here, the only thing I have is that the PC's are looking for someone who went up the mountain because reasons?). On their way up they encounter some sort of armored giant, which upon inspection turns out to be dwarven armor. Ideally they kill it, probably with questions about why it was in dwarven armor (but its a long way back down the mountain to ask the dwarves).

At the peak they find a cave full of scraggly, cowardly, broken and beaten (Frost Goblins?) who don't want to fight, but beg for help. They explain that for centuries their ancestors and the dwarves ancestors fought, before finally coming to a deal (A deal they have written on a scroll). The deal was that the dwarves would leave the entirety of the mountain to the goblins if they paid the dwarves some crazy amount of money within 100 years. For the last 100 years the goblins have been making those payments, but the very last one, has been stopped by the armored monster outside, who wont let the goblins leave the cave to deliver it.

The PC's have already solved this problem, but the next one is this, the delivery is due by midnight (or whatever time is near) or the goblins forfeit their claim, and there is no way to get it all down the mountain in time... No way except to sled it down, but that would be crazy, no one has ever made it down ScarySlopeName and lived.
So, some kind of Pc's racing down the mountain challenge, also, the armored monster was an Ice troll, so by now its regenerated and come back to life (probably) so it will try to stop them in some way. Could really use some sort idea's for what I would like to be a very fun/epic ski climax.

The players get to the hunting lodge just in the nick of time, deliver the last shipment, show the scroll to the dwarves and all the guests, and it turns out it was really just the dwarf king and a few top cronies that were hindering the goblins, the rest of the dwarves didn't know. Insert some kind of happyish ending here. (King and Cronies jailed? I plan on the PC's returning here around a year later to find that the dwarves and goblins have teamed up to basically turn the whole mountain side into a top tourist destination, all thanks to the friendship the Pc's helped foster)

So, what do you think in general? Anything you like or dislike? Any idea's for encounters, specifically a fun epic sled ride down a mountain?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Totally out of the blue, but could use some help if anyone is bored/interested.

So, I'm doing a short intermission session, just a 1 or 2 night adventure, that I want to be themed similarly to one of those 80's Snow Patrol style movies. Overall, this is sort of a mini adventure/break for the characters, so I want the focus to be more fun and less someones going to die. My players are pretty good about sticking with the story and following breadcrumbs, and I can usually steer them if needed, so its fine if its pretty railroady. Here's what I have so far.

Small human village at the base of a mountain, with a great dwarven hunting hall slightly higher. The dwarves are in the middle of a big celebration, they have lived and prospered here for 100 years, after escaping the toils of cave living and thriving outdoors. The local humans love the dwarves because they are super generous and friendly, plus they protect the town from all the monsters up the mountain. (The human town has only been here about 40 years, so they only know what they have been told by the dwarves)

The PC's arrive and have some reason to go up the mountain (need a hook here, the only thing I have is that the PC's are looking for someone who went up the mountain because reasons?). On their way up they encounter some sort of armored giant, which upon inspection turns out to be dwarven armor. Ideally they kill it, probably with questions about why it was in dwarven armor (but its a long way back down the mountain to ask the dwarves).

At the peak they find a cave full of scraggly, cowardly, broken and beaten (Frost Goblins?) who don't want to fight, but beg for help. They explain that for centuries their ancestors and the dwarves ancestors fought, before finally coming to a deal (A deal they have written on a scroll). The deal was that the dwarves would leave the entirety of the mountain to the goblins if they paid the dwarves some crazy amount of money within 100 years. For the last 100 years the goblins have been making those payments, but the very last one, has been stopped by the armored monster outside, who wont let the goblins leave the cave to deliver it.

The PC's have already solved this problem, but the next one is this, the delivery is due by midnight (or whatever time is near) or the goblins forfeit their claim, and there is no way to get it all down the mountain in time... No way except to sled it down, but that would be crazy, no one has ever made it down ScarySlopeName and lived.
So, some kind of Pc's racing down the mountain challenge, also, the armored monster was an Ice troll, so by now its regenerated and come back to life (probably) so it will try to stop them in some way. Could really use some sort idea's for what I would like to be a very fun/epic ski climax.

The players get to the hunting lodge just in the nick of time, deliver the last shipment, show the scroll to the dwarves and all the guests, and it turns out it was really just the dwarf king and a few top cronies that were hindering the goblins, the rest of the dwarves didn't know. Insert some kind of happyish ending here. (King and Cronies jailed? I plan on the PC's returning here around a year later to find that the dwarves and goblins have teamed up to basically turn the whole mountain side into a top tourist destination, all thanks to the friendship the Pc's helped foster)

So, what do you think in general? Anything you like or dislike? Any idea's for encounters, specifically a fun epic sled ride down a mountain?

The 'ole "couldn't tell it was a troll because of the armor" trick. I've fallen for that one once or twice as well as its more expensive sister trick the "the troll had a ring of fire resistance on which is why he's back up eating your face."

For the reason to go up to the mountain you just need an important person to have gone missing. The local priest of <insert dorf god here> went up the mountain to fast as part of a ceremony and never came back, a guard post stationed up the mountain stopped signaling and the heroes are called upon to investigate, a rockslide trapped some miners tapping a new vein of ore, what have you.

Might be fun to have the troll chase after the heroes as they slide down the mountain? He can't die from using himself as an improvised boulder, he could cause a rockslide, catch someone that falls out of the sled forcing a tough decision, etc. I just have this picture of my head of the party seeing the thing they thought they had killed above them, roaring, and flinging it's huge armored bulk at them. Dwarven armor with spikes? Decorated like stalagmites because dwarves?

• 1Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I'm loving your ring of fire resist, and spiked armor snowball of death rolling after them, good ideas! Consider them added!

• 1Like