The D&D thread

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I ran table top EQ with those books years and years ago, posted some pics and my experience back on OG FoH and was met with a harsh backlash. Short version is it is pretty cool and well thought out in terms of what you would want to see in EQ meets DnD. All the camped for items are badass and even have every classes epic weapon quests in there.

Group agreed on meeting point of Freeport, but of course they were trying to meta from EQ so we had a troll shaman, DE necro etc. I could have just started them there but no I made them run and it was glorious. DE was almost eaten by a Darkwater Piranha in the river of Nektulos Forest because he was so paranoid a Shadowed man was on the bridge, the troll had a train of froglok chasing him because he just had to steal their fishing gear and some netted sleeves or something like that. The Human Monk from Qyenos barely made it to the Karanas before dying from some gnolls he messed with, he rerolled into something closer but I forget what. The group made it all the way through befallen before we stopped playing for some reason and it was so much fun using all their meta knowledge against them.

Anyways I came here to post this: Shadow of the Demon Lord - Schwalb Entertainment | Shadow of the Demon Lord Rulebooks | DriveThruRPG.com Anyone try it?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I know this is the D&D thread, but whatever, Pathfinder 2nd Edition play test rules just came out for free today. Planning on starting a group this weekend...anyone else?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I know this is the D&D thread, but whatever, Pathfinder 2nd Edition play test rules just came out for free today. Planning on starting a group this weekend...anyone else?

I checked them out already, ran a group through old one shot using new rules. The action economy works, the crit rules are interesting, and the Resonance system fixes wand spam. I don't have the cash or will to deep dive into another system just yet but in a few years I can see myself grabbing all the materials and switching from 5th edition.

• 1Like

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I hear you, I've been playing PF since 2014 and decided to check it out. Plus it's going to be my first serious attempt at DMing.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Pathfinders big draw for me is the class diversity and how many cool mechanics they have over 5th Ed. The big drawback however is that my friends (players) would have to learn all that shit, and they probably just wouldn't. More work for me is no bueno.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I checked them out already, ran a group through old one shot using new rules. The action economy works, the crit rules are interesting, and the Resonance system fixes wand spam. I don't have the cash or will to deep dive into another system just yet but in a few years I can see myself grabbing all the materials and switching from 5th edition.

How did you get the new rules before today?

Pathfinders big draw for me is the class diversity and how many cool mechanics they have over 5th Ed. The big drawback however is that my friends (players) would have to learn all that shit, and they probably just wouldn't. More work for me is no bueno.

From what I've seen of the play test, they are going the 5th edition route of making things less...complicated? I'll report back!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
How did you get the new rules before today?

From what I've seen of the play test, they are going the 5th edition route of making things less...complicated? I'll report back!

DM for 20 or so years you get to know people and get hook ups.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
What are the main differences between old PF and new PF? Any major overhauls, like making it skill-based, or changing major mechanics?

I would find some of the material or podcasts for this info. Just too much to get into here and others would explain it better anyway.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone interested in an occasional weekend game? I'm looking for another person or two to play.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Anyone interested in an occasional weekend game? I'm looking for another person or two to play.
Roll20? I might be interested depending on timing... I’m probably not going to get to play with my friends as we need a DM always

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
Roll20? I might be interested depending on timing... I’m probably not going to get to play with my friends as we need a DM always

Yeah we use roll20. When we play it'll probably be evenings EST timezone. I'll likely be DM'ing.

Goonsquad Officer

Yea we've played an entire shadow of the demon lord campaign from 1 to cap. and i'm playing in another slower one now. It's a pretty good system. it's not technically generic, but the character building is pretty open ended. I like it.

(I don't tend to enjoy PURELY generic systems, like gurps/savage worlds / BESM. I like some game mechanics with various gear and such. hence why i like DH so much i think).

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
So I am in the first stages of putting together a new group. 6 brand new players.

I have years and years of 3.5 experience and not a ton of 5e experience. Two of my players are Google Warriors and say after all their research they would prefer a 5e campaign over a 3.5 one. Other 4 don't really care. As a 3.5 elitist I really wanted to start them off with what I am most comfortable with but I decided that since all of them are totally new to it in general I would go outside my own comfort zone and build a fully fledged 5e campaign.

Gods Save us.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
The story is always > then the edition being played.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
after playing a couple of long full length campaigns in 5th (and a few 4th and innumerable 3.5 / pathfinder) i will say that I really like all of the 5th edition mechanics quite well. it makes the classes more interesting and sets a pace for the game play with the "long rest" heal mechanics. we didn't get to experience all the classes but most of them and they all seemed interesting.

The heroic action/lair actions that boss monsters get make big bosses a lot of fun and not go down like chumps.

I even ended up with a vorpal sword early on (the Scourge of Rkard in dark sun) and the campaign still worked very well.

• 1Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah 5e works pretty well from what we’ve seen as a group so far. Pretty easy for people that have not played to pick up as long as they’re willing to do the initial learning investment as well.

Now if only I had a gargantuan blue dragon piece for tonight... tried three different gaming stores today and came up nat 1s at all of them.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah 5e works pretty well from what we’ve seen as a group so far. Pretty easy for people that have not played to pick up as long as they’re willing to do the initial learning investment as well.

Now if only I had a gargantuan blue dragon piece for tonight... tried three different gaming stores today and came up nat 1s at all of them.
Michaels or other craft stores. They have big rubber dragons. Not quite to scale but close e enough.
EDB5C68B-3EF8-471D-9B20-B9959608D7AB.jpeg
622E2E00-7A2B-4933-A725-09DA48E58661.jpeg

• 1Like