The D&D thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Those 1st and even second editions are hard to go back to, I have too much quality of life knowledge to go back. That and reading old stuff when you DM new stuff can get confusing. It is good for story ideas though, sometimes grabbing bits and pieces from the old stuff can really infuse your current campaigns with fresh ideas.
I never played D&D beyond those early editions. My circle of friends had moved on to Runequest, Champions, Traveller and Vampire the Masquerade before the newer editions with all the fancy changes came out. I will enjoy my trip down memory lane blissfully unaware of all the cool changes TSR made.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Those 1st and even second editions are hard to go back to, I have too much quality of life knowledge to go back. That and reading old stuff when you DM new stuff can get confusing. It is good for story ideas though, sometimes grabbing bits and pieces from the old stuff can really infuse your current campaigns with fresh ideas.

umm no.

This really boils down to the same argument of 1999 era EQ/UO/DAoC vs. wowclones.

If you like mini maps and quest markers then you probably also dig 5th edition

1st edition D/D is just more chewy and flavorful and FAR more risk and reward. 5th edition = you never die and everyone gets a level

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
umm no.

This really boils down to the same argument of 1999 era EQ/UO/DAoC vs. wowclones.

1st edition D/D is just more chewy and flavorful and FAR more risk and reward. 5th edition = you never die and everyone gets a level
1st edition really was like EQ original.
D&D - "Hi, I am a level 1 magician with 2-3 hit points and a single shitty spell wearing a dress. A rat bites me and I am dead."
EQ - "Hi, I am a level 1 magician with 2-3 hit points and a single shitty spell wearing a dress. A rat bites me and I am dead."

• 2Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
umm no.

Edition progression is a lot like the Alien movie franchise. 1st one is an amazing movie that was genre defining. 2nd one polished it up but remained true to what worked with the first one. We all know what happened after that.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
1st edition really was like EQ original.
D&D - "Hi, I am a level 1 magician with 2-3 hit points and a single shitty spell wearing a dress. A rat bites me and I am dead."
EQ - "Hi, I am a level 1 magician with 2-3 hit points and a single shitty spell wearing a dress. A rat bites me and I am dead."
EQ took a lot of things from early AD&D down to the 6 second tick!

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
umm no.

Talking more about mechanics and perspective of running a game as a DM, not how "hard" it is. Which is a dumb ass argument anyway when it comes to pen and paper RPGs for all the obvious reasons.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If GOT used D&D 1st edition mechanics it would be season 8 of the show and Ned and Robert would still be traveling overland from Winterfell to King's Landing rolling for random encounters every hour.

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For some reason unbeknownst to me, I just bought the 1978/79 hardback versions of the Player's Handbook and DM's Guide on Ebay. Bidding on a Monster Manual as well. Really just pure nostalgia I believe. I lost mine decades ago during one move or another. I was looking through a storage box in the basement and found all my 40k, Vampire the Masquerade, and Original Runequest books and was like... I want to read the old D&D shit again. Boomers gonna be Boomers I guess.
I feel like you might be interested in thetrove dot net.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
If GOT used D&D 1st edition mechanics it would be season 8 of the show and Ned and Robert would still be traveling overland from Winterfell to King's Landing rolling for random encounters every hour.

No , season 8 would be introducing you to Lars and James making their way to King's Landing, the 7th pair of protagonists in as many years since all those before them died to bandits, a giant frog, a fall out of a tree, etc.

• 2Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like you might be interested in thetrove dot net.

thats great and i've used it, but nothing like feeling the real thing between your fingers. Which reminds me, the only thing i'm missing is Oriental Adventures...

wooops, I better look over my shoulder, the 5th edition people will crucify me for daring to use the word Oriental..

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Coming back to real talk. I dropped out of my online campaign I was involved with because another player was a vehement anti role-player and felt all the characters should robotically do the most "optimal" thing at every turn, regardless of the characters int, wisdom, traits or backstory. I'll get back into it when we are all vaccinated and can do real meetups. Online was "ok" and all, but I got video games for that.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
thats great and i've used it, but nothing like feeling the real thing between your fingers. Which reminds me, the only thing i'm missing is Oriental Adventures...

wooops, I better look over my shoulder, the 5th edition people will crucify me for daring to use the word Oriental..
You wear your fedora when smelling your 40 year old books?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Coming back to real talk. I dropped out of my online campaign I was involved with because another player was a vehement anti role-player and felt all the characters should robotically do the most "optimal" thing at every turn, regardless of the characters int, wisdom, traits or backstory. I'll get back into it when we are all vaccinated and can do real meetups. Online was "ok" and all, but I got video games for that.
I'm a forever-DM and played in my first Fantasy Grounds game yesterday. I thought it was great, but everyone was cool so that helps a lot. However, I do agree with you that the tabletop experience is vastly superior. I think most people agree, but schedules and lives diverging makes VTTs a nice alternative.

I still run my live game every week, but I really needed a chance to just play and nothing locally was presenting itself.

• 1Solidarity

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm a forever-DM and played in my first Fantasy Grounds game yesterday. I thought it was great, but everyone was cool so that helps a lot. However, I do agree with you that the tabletop experience is vastly superior. I think most people agree, but schedules and lives diverging makes VTTs a nice alternative.

I still run my live game every week, but I really needed a chance to just play and nothing locally was presenting itself.
I think we all agree we would rather play face to face. That's just not happening right now so VTT is as good as it gets for the time being. Hopefully midsummer my groups are back to the table.

• 1Truth!

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wow, that Trove shit was unreal. I can't fathom the autists it must have taken to do all that. The shit I found in there was like a speed train down memory lane.

1611007624409.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Started reading my shiny "not very new" 1st edition players handbook that arrived in the mail. I forgot that back then they level capped all the non-humans in their chosen classes.
Humans > all. I think those level caps were one of the first things we through out back in the day.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Started reading my shiny "not very new" 1st edition players handbook that arrived in the mail. I forgot that back then they level capped all the non-humans in their chosen classes.
Humans > all. I think those level caps were one of the first things we through out back in the day.

It seems that way, but there is usually one class per non-human race that is unlimited for them. Plus, it is VERY RARE for a campaign to ever go on long enough for the non humans to max out their level progressions. So at char creation are like "ewww my elf magic user can ONLY go to level ELEVEN???" And two years later their elf is still only level 8 or something....

And if you remove the level limits then you get the exact opposite problem, but this time it becomes a reality at level 1 instead of being some theoretical problem down the road (that you never get to). Namly, EVERYONE picks non-humans for the vastly superior racial perks.