The Division 2

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It's a CPU problem with the engine. A lot of people are experiencing it. I had no problems running the alpha or private beta, but when I started playing the OB I was having stuttering and 2-3 second freezes. Changing graphic settings does nothing, but I did manage to make the game mostly playable with a fresh install. My PC is getting old and have an I5 2300 and a 1050ti. Div 1 runs smooth as silk on med/high settings, but while also hammering my cpu I don't have any performance issues.

It has to be just shitty code. I don't get why a game that is basically a single player shooter should need so much cpu juice.

Last edited:

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I had been staying away from all of the beta play in an effort to keep this as new as possible. That said, I did play the open beta up through the first mission just to get a feel for it a little bit. I enjoyed it as I expected as I am really a pve type for the most part. The only issues that really bothered me were the hard coded keybinds that you could not change in the menus and the fact that it was so bloody difficult to tell which armor item you were wearing.

For the first issue, I use ESDF for my movement, but even in the tutorial section, you had to select an inventory item and hit F to do something (I forget what exactly), but hitting my F key just moved the selection to the next item in my inventory forcing me to click and hold the mouse button to manually select something. It is very minor but over time it could really get annoying. The inventory issue again was minor but still bugged me. The weapons had the #1 and #2 beside them so was easy to differentiate between equipped items and just inventory. In Div 1 it highlighted your chest armor so you knew which one was being worn. Now you have to look at the tiny equip icon at the bottom of the screen to see if it is grayed out or not.

Other than those 2 annoyances, I liked what I saw and it should be fun. Spring break is next week, so will probably be playing a good bit as it is nice timing on release. Again.. apostolos223 if anyone will be playing on pc.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL why not just move over one key and use WASD for movement, lol?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Put another 2 hours into this last night. Next to zero interest in it now. Just feels boring to me, but I'll try watching some streams a few weeks after it comes out.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It all depends on what is eating those CPU cycles. Open task manager, click on CPU, that should tell you what is eating up all the CPU cycles. If it's the game? Then, I agree. It's the game.

I've seen a lot of instances of windows where it's some networking thing. Another reason I've gotten rid of that piece of trash thing called M$.

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
LOL why not just move over one key and use WASD for movement, lol?
Only trannies use WASD sir. ESDF is far superior and I'm with Apostolos Apostolos , that shit is fucking annoying being hard bound to F. Div1 was the same way.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
After I stopped using DX12, the crash issue went away for me. So it was silky smooth for the most part. I then started streaming at 1080x60fps to see how stable it ran, and it ran perfectly. Checked OBS and zero dropped frames. Then I checked the playback on that VOD and it's choppy as fuck. Le sigh.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Non WASD unite.

I use "ASDF" for my movement and it is annoying that even when you are running forward by holding F that it triggers the mission pop up and stops you dead in your tracks. I don't recall off hand, but I could swear you I had to retap F in Div 1 to make the same thing happen.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I never knew there was such a hard on for anything aside from WASD that has been used for the last 50 years.

• 2Like

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well think about it, you have to purposely move your hands OFF the keys you usually use for typing in order to use wasd for movement. Why not just leave them there so you don't have to move your hand back and forth when trying to type something in chat? In addition, it puts even MORE keys in reach for hotkeys by not moving your hand closer to the edge of the keyboard.

Besides, hard coded key binds on a PC game is a big development failure no matter how you look at it imho. That shit is pc game development 101

*steps off his soap box*

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah I agree, they should let you use whatever keys you want to fucking use. This is 2019, not 1999.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
1551802724936.png

Peasants!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Put another 2 hours into this last night. Next to zero interest in it now. Just feels boring to me, but I'll try watching some streams a few weeks after it comes out.
You are not alone. Just was boring, and that's after putting another 6 hours into it during Open Beta. I'm really glad that they have these betas though so I can get in there and see if it's a game that hooks me in or not.

With this one, I had no desire to keep grinding. I didn't feel more powerful while getting newer guns, or levels, because stuff just scales. In the end, I felt there wasn't a point to what I was doing.

• 1Solidarity

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Think I was an arrow keys guy w/ Descent (no mouse), until Tribes indoctrinated me into the cult of WASD. Alternatives do not compute.

I'm looking forward to cycling through Destiny 2, Division 2 and Anthem, none of them warrant a full time grind and all have content coming over time. All were part of subscription services or came w/ my GPU, so not an expensive outlay for a bunch of transient gaming. Fairly happy w/ the batch of games.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It all depends on what is eating those CPU cycles. Open task manager, click on CPU, that should tell you what is eating up all the CPU cycles. If it's the game? Then, I agree. It's the game.

I've seen a lot of instances of windows where it's some networking thing. Another reason I've gotten rid of that piece of trash thing called M$.

if I hadn't done this why the hell would I say it was the game? Try doing a google search for "division 100% CPU" you'll get results for Div 1 and 2. This wasn't a guess it's a known issue.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
You are not alone. Just was boring, and that's after putting another 6 hours into it during Open Beta. I'm really glad that they have these betas though so I can get in there and see if it's a game that hooks me in or not.

With this one, I had no desire to keep grinding. I didn't feel more powerful while getting newer guns, or levels, because stuff just scales. In the end, I felt there wasn't a point to what I was doing.

Yeah division levels 1-8 isn’t a clear representation though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anything other than ESDF does not compute. WASD means you're either not resting on home row or you're using your pinky for movement which is even worse. And with ESDF your primary 'action' key becomes A and you have a finger hovering over it all the time, no need to move one off of the movement keys to hit it.

MarcoStyle did some testing on mod effects in the beta. Normally I take his videos with a large grain of salt because they are vastly skewed towards PVP performance, but in this case his findings are pretty much the same as my own (though I didn't bother testing anything but ARs, LMGs, and MMRs). Stability having no effect on SMGs is a bit of surprise though. SMGs sucked anyway though, can't see myself ever using one unless ballistic shield turns out to be a top-tier skill choice.

Edit: One issue I did have with the video is that he used a FAL as his AR, when the CTAR, P416, and Police M4 are best in class by a large margin. They shoot like a laser with an easily controllable recoil even on console, so I'm not convinced stability has much point there either.

Video:

Or image version if you can't be arsed watching a 17.5m video about something that can be easily summed up in a chart:
vPYNnCv.jpg

Last edited:

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I was wrecking fools in the DZ with my police M4.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Saw a few streams by some pro darkzone dude (4000hrs in D1, lul) and he was using nothing but a sniper and famas. He was trying other shit here and there, but always went back to the famas he had. He also had some perk somewhere that added 10% RPM so that thing was going off at like almost 1k RPM. I think it was 990RPM

He was also having some sucess with m60 as well, but he was solo player going against teams of 2 and 3. So he needed that extra rounds in mag to hopefully burn them down without reolad.

I was also watching another stream (different game) where the dude was talking about dark zone and how to cheese it for the drops. He was kind of thinking out loud how you could potentially get 12 players from one clan into the dark zone by cheesing the group mechanic, like one team of 4 goes in, disbands, then they all invite other players, etc, until the instance is theirs. Not sure if this is possible but sounds feasible in theory. And then you can just farm the darkzone drops. Shit even if you could get 6-8 peeps in one darkzone it would make a world of difference.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone listing specs while talking about CPU usage needs to include what FPS they're running at or it's pointless. The CPU load increases drastically the higher FPS you go. Someone running at 4k but capped at 60 fps is going to have nowhere near the CPU load as someone with uncapped FPS or running a high refresh setup.

• 1Like