The Division 2

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Def picking this one up. I played the first one in betas and it felt like shit and never played it. This one feels crispy. Still a few issues like getting stuck on shit (cover being too sticky) but other than that, this feels like a nice deep loot shoot for me to sink my teeth into.

I got my kid to do a mission last night and he was hooked as well. Played for about 3 hours, lol.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
As a disclaimer, I played Div 1 a ton, I have this game already pre-ordered, but I'm gonna try to give an unbiased opinion based on beta so far. I am playing on the PS4:

PROS:

1. Game is fun, missions are fun especially when playing solo. Far more challenging. I got killed several times trying to figure out how best to approach different enemy stronghold positions, etc. It felt very rewarding figuring out how to overcome the missions. Felt much less so playing in a group because you can roll them over pretty easily. Again, not to disparage one game style vs another, some will group up and rush to max level to reach end-game content, but for myself I think I will be going at a slower pace and enjoying the game for the challenges and flavor text stuff.

2. Skills have been improved imo. Tabs are easy to read, easy to understand how spending SHD boosts what skills and how. More skills this time around, so of course there will be balancing issues in the future, but that's like any other game.

3. Graphics are great, improved over D1. I had no issues, no crashes, no bleeds, etc. I'm playing on PS4 Pro on 65" HDTV.

4. Guns feel good. Not Destiny level of responsiveness, but at least as good as in D1. Early game tip - I was having difficulty with the yellow boss guys when I was soloing, until I picked up a blue SPAS shotgun. That is literally the answer to your problems. Get in close, unload a whole clip, and they die instantly. Very satisfying lol.

5. There is a lot of varied missions and content, which should keep you busy until the end game. New to this game compared to Div 1 is the different factions. You have to donate various items (food, water, armor, etc), and it unlocks stuff or gives you rewards. My guess is easy 40+ hours of content, probably more like 60+ for completionists, prior to reaching end game, if you so choose.

6. Dark zone was cool looking, seemed more atmospheric compared to Div 1. I didn't spend that much time in there, but I had a lot of fun in the DZ both in group and solo during Div 1, so I imagine it will be more of the same. I never did do a ton of DZ though, I think in the first game I ended up around rank 50.

CONS:

1. The mini map seems worse than before. It doesn't tell enough useful information. Maybe it requires some unlocks. I can't tell you how many times I ran into a loot box and didn't realize I could loot it until I was up close. I personally feel like anything lootable should be highlighted in the signature Division orange. I know as you gain rank in the various territories all the echos and collectibles will become highlighted on the map (was one of the unlockable perks), but I'm talking about the mini-map. In Div 1, if you walked into an electronic store for example, you would see the 3 lootable electronic boxes on your mini-map if you got close enough. That didn't happen with me in this game.

2. I did encounter a sound bug, where suddenly my guns sounded like they were on volume 1. I couldn't correct it until I re-logged.

3. The text is way too tiny. I know there are settings to change this, but it still seemed really small on my TV. I'm playing about 10 feet or more away from the TV. I basically have to pull up a chair and play like 6 feet away to read some of the text.

4. I think this will get fixed, but some of the game stuff is not intuitive. For example, you keep hearing "someone near you is calling for help". I had no idea how to respond until I googled it. Turns out you have to go to your map to join. My guess is this will be part of a tutorial, but as of now there's no way of knowing. Also, when you do help, it doesnt *seem* to advance your own story line, but I could be wrong on this. The constant calls for help was annoying, but thankfully you can turn this off. Again, the game never told me how, I had to figure it out on my own. Hopefully the tutorial will be more robust at launch.

5. Loot is still confusing as fuck. Even early on nothing to tell you how to compare one item to another except for like stats showing up green or red when comparing. When in reality there are set pieces even early on. I got 3/3 on some "Brand" set, which improved my damage, etc.....yet nothing in-game to tell me about it. For someone like me with gaming experience, I understand the important of set bonuses. If you are newer and didn't know better, then you would be throwing away your set items just because the game is telling you a different item is better only because the stat is green compared to what you are currently using. For newer players to the genre, I hope there is a tutorial or something to help them understand just because something has higher damage or armor doesn't mean it's better.

All in all I am looking forward to this game. My PS4 tag is Caduceus888, I have quite a few of you on friends list already, but if you ever wanna group up or need another for your party please feel free to add me.

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Weapon mods are still a huge con. Negatives shouldn't exist at all (unless they scrap everything and make it work like Ghost Recon but it's too late for that), and they are still so bad that almost none of the mods are ever worth using.

2. Skills have been improved imo.

I don't understand how anyone who played Div 1 could say this. They are worse in every single way possible. By the look of things there will never be anything like the Tactician build we have now (which is what I play almost exclusively).

In the beta 5 of my items have skill cooldown % on them plus I have a set bonus for a sixth, and two of them are blue/purple with +20% skill duration. It's still a ridiculously long time to wait between uses, especially when half the time I put up a turret and some cocksucker kills it instantly because both it and the drone are made of tissue paper. Some of that could be fixed at max level if I can get HE items with skill power on top of cooldown and duration effects, but it's still nothing remotely close to 4pc Tactician + Barrett's vest + Inventive backpack in Div 1. I'm not sure why I'd want to bother though, since most of the skills require babysitting which is time better spent just shooting.

I'm dumb optimistic though and still preordered the gold edition from Gamestop. If I don't end up hating the game for the things that just annoy me in the beta, I'm sure I'll end up buying the Year 1 pass anyway, so might as well get 3 days early access and miss at least some of the shitshow the game/servers will experience on the actual release day.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's weird, I had no bugs or anything in the 4-5 hours I played the closed beta.

In open beta I've been stuck in the geometry and crashed in less than an hour of play.

Not good.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I got stuck in an animation loop trying to jump down off a platform twice yesterday. First time it finally fixed itself, second time it got me killed.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I only got to play for about 10 minutes before I had to give up the TV, but it feels good so far. Going to try to get a couple hours into it tonight, but I'll probably end up picking this up

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Tom Clancy's The Division 2_20190303_214527.png

Did anyone else get Kevin Bacon as their random char?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I was noticing it seems like the same map without snow lol.
They have very similar floor layouts, both in the streets and the buildings. Mostly designed around gameplay, not really realism. Like the stacked trash bags blocking off stair wells and shit like that. There's also a bit more vertical aspects in this one though, with missing or destructive floors.

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
No. What's the issue?

So I've been trying to run Division 2 and constantly crashing. Been tweaking everything I can--page file size, misc windows 10 processes, DX11/12, Windowed mode, resolution, triple buffering, FreeSync, overlays, gpu driver...game is still crashing usually within 10 minutes of running. Crashes are usually black screens to desktop, but a couple of them have been blue screens that reboot.

Event Viewer hasn't been giving me anything consistent to work with. In fact, a lot of the windows changes I've made seem to cause more 'noise' in the event viewer.

Anyway, the blue screen crashes reminded me of failed overclocks, so I go back to the Vega 56, remove the stable overclock (~1650MHz/930MHz), and reset it to normal at 1590MHz GPU and 800MHz Memory. I start up Division 2 again and keep an eye on GPU-Z stats.

According to GPU-Z, memory was maxing at 800 MHz as expected, but the GPU clock was hitting 1615 MHz. I can't recall before seeing monitored speeds higher than where the clock was set. Division 2 crashed shortly after I observed this.

I know the GPU can handle 1615 MHz, So this made me wonder if Division 2 is running the CPU (Ryzen 5 2400G) hard, too--I run the CPU overclocked at 3.9GHz and it does fine, but I also know that it is not stable at higher cycles.

And then I screwed up undoing the CPU overclock and my computer has been out of commission until just now =p

I am not sure I will screw around with Divisions 2 anymore until full release.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My kids computer, not that old, sports a 6600K OCed to 4.3ghz and a beefy 1070 gtx which he plays on std 1080p screen and he had a hard time running this. His CPU was 100% 100% of the time, lol.

My 9600K at 4.8ghz was at like 30%, lol.

I hope they optimize this further.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I don't understand why there are negative stats on mods. Some of them are pretty crazy too, like -10% chance to crit. Why on earth would you ever put that on anything, ever? I have a feeling this was designed entirely in spreadsheets somewhere and will hopefully get changed.

That said, you can stack two different "brand" sets, even as early as level 8, and THOSE give bonuses. So in theory, you could have some bonuses elsewhere to offset the negative stats on mods. But the things like the underbarrels that have negative TEN PERCENT chance to crit, fuck, when would you EVER put that on?! Never. That has to get changed soon.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Negative stats need a nurf on their roll % if they're going to keep that shit. Don't really mind playing the balancing game, but I'm betting it'll end up needing a 3rd party tool to ideally balance your gear. That's never a positive from a player perspective.

Or I wonder if they're going to pull a barbarian trait from PoE where it increases damage or bleed or some shit by 50% but removes the ability to crit.

As it stands right now, abilities suck, full stop. Cool down is way too long, two button presses to activate and fire doesn't feel natural, and the damage from things like the seeker mine with cluster is a burn bleed that does fuck all for damage means why bother using any damaging abilities... I'll likely stick to the healing drones and the buff/healing pulse... At least until end game with appropriate CDR and ability power.

I tend to favor sniper headshots with a short burst, small spread rifle as backup. Have yet to see how the sniper turret performs, but it might be viable vs the other turret options that get wrecked almost immediately at close range.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of issues, I'm running an 8086k @ 5.0ghz, 1080Ti OC that tends to hit 2.0ghz on GPU while running this game. Running maxed out settings at 4K. I've only crashed when I alt-tab, which makes me think it's not a hardware issue that folks are seeing. It's a problem with the base code as I've experienced similar issues with other games in beta using non-standard resolutions and multiple monitors.

My monitors are running 3840x2160 and 2048x1152. The second monitor, that resolution really fucks with games and Windows in general. Also the former is on DisplayPort, the latter is DVI.

AMD hardware is interesting. Their thermal throttling design allows it to overclock up to its thermal/energy consumption ceiling. It's not perfectly reliable, of course. You might have better luck turning off thermal throttling, and hard lock your cpu and gpu frequencies. Especially the cpu, which if you're also oc'ing ram can multiply to instability with ram controllers being on board the cpu these days. Or try setting your shit to hard stock and see if you're still having issues.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Speaking of issues, I'm running an 8086k @ 5.0ghz, 1080Ti OC that tends to hit 2.0ghz on GPU while running this game. Running maxed out settings at 4K. I've only crashed when I alt-tab, which makes me think it's not a hardware issue that folks are seeing. It's a problem with the base code as I've experienced similar issues with other games in beta using non-standard resolutions and multiple monitors.

My monitors are running 3840x2160 and 2048x1152. The second monitor, that resolution really fucks with games and Windows in general. Also the former is on DisplayPort, the latter is DVI.

AMD hardware is interesting. Their thermal throttling design allows it to overclock up to its thermal/energy consumption ceiling. It's not perfectly reliable, of course. You might have better luck turning off thermal throttling, and hard lock your cpu and gpu frequencies. Especially the cpu, which if you're also oc'ing ram can multiply to instability with ram controllers being on board the cpu these days. Or try setting your shit to hard stock and see if you're still having issues.

I am coming to the same conclusion. The game is running CPUs and possibly GPUs at 100%+ and causing them to crash. I have returned my CPU clock to 3.6GHz from the 3.9GHz I usually run, and the game is suddenly stable.

I wonder if I limit the CPU power state maximum to like 95% or 98% in windows power management if the problem will resolve even with an overclock?

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like most everything about D2, but I won't play it for the simple reason I dislike the duck&cover mechanic of combat vs. the run&gun of Destiny / Anthem. Maybe that will change sometime in the future, but right now its just not a fun playstyle for me.