The Documentary Thread

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Football dad was worst, followed by Golf Dad

Golf Dad is also in the Netflix documentary "The Short Game" which focuses just on child golfers at the most important tournament. It's different to trophy kids but very good.
I fee like Social Services is watching those and just waiting to spring into action. Those parents should not be in charge of the welfare of a kid.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I fee like Social Services is watching those and just waiting to spring into action. Those parents should not be in charge of the welfare of a kid.
The fucked up thing is that parents like that tell themselves that they're actually doing all of that FOR the welfare of their kid. When the reality is that they're trying to make their kid's lives what they wish theirs had been.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That happens pretty much in everything a parent wants in their child. A parent who never went to college would do everything in their power to make sure their kid goes to a good one and that includes keeping them at home to study nonstop. That includes allowing them no friends either. At least those sport asshole dads goal is to make their kids a popular hero who would no doubt be a pussy magnet in high school/college.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That happens pretty much in everything a parent wants in their child. A parent who never went to college would do everything in their power to make sure their kid goes to a good one and that includes keeping them at home to study nonstop. That includes allowing them no friends either. At least those sport asshole dads goal is to make their kids a popular hero who would no doubt be a pussy magnet in high school/college.
Did you really just say that every parent is an asshole and these parents are the least assholish of the lot?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Did you really just say that every parent is an asshole and these parents are the least assholish of the lot?
no. i said every parent wants better for their kids and its usually they want them to either follow in their footsteps or do things they always wanted to do but couldnt. some take it too far and it isnt limited to sports. i was saying that while the sport dads might be extreme assholes, they at least arent locking their kids in the house when they arent in school forcing them to study and miss out on their childhood.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I watched about 60% of trophy kids and damn that is depressing. Football dad is borderline abuse. Golf dad has some serious problems. I think he called his daughter a bitch at one point but I couldn't tell. Gay basketball dad was insane. Tennis mom was just weird. I didn't even know people like this existed.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Can anyone recommend the best 1-2 documentaries on the war in the pacific? There's way too many docos on the subject, I'd like to watch a few which go into detail about the naval strategy from both sides.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I watched about 60% of trophy kids and damn that is depressing. Football dad is borderline abuse. Golf dad has some serious problems. I think he called his daughter a bitch at one point but I couldn't tell. Gay basketball dad was insane. Tennis mom was just weird. I didn't even know people like this existed.
He called her a "fucking bitch".

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I was wishing horrible things on football dad by the end of that. Was glad to see his son was able to get out of that situation with him though he'll probably need therapy at some point because of it.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Can anyone recommend the best 1-2 documentaries on the war in the pacific? There's way too many docos on the subject, I'd like to watch a few which go into detail about the naval strategy from both sides.
Hell in the Pacific. Don't recall how much detail it went into the naval aspect. I'll try to remember some more. Most likely you'll have more success in book form. The Price of Admiralty by John Keegan has a really good section on Midway with an overview of naval aims of both side.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I heard about a trailer that's available on Amazon (for purchase only) called "The Image Revolution". It's about the history of Image Comics, from how the founders originally worked for Marvel comics, then branched off to start their own venture in the form of Image Comics. They said it's decent. I'm looking for a free copy somewhere (netflix, torrent..) so far no luck. I'll update you guys if I find it.

The audio is all off on the only trailer I can find, but here you go none the less.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, about that. I have the entire run of Image Comics #1's. Savage Dragon was one of my favorite series, just due to how wacky it was. Invincible follows a similar style. The original Gen 13 was a great mini series (at the time). And WildCATS was entertaining. Oh, and I loved Witchblade. The rest never really stuck with me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The Maxx was my favorite. But the delays just made almost all of the titles super frustrating.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, about that. I have the entire run of Image Comics #1's. Savage Dragon was one of my favorite series, just due to how wacky it was. Invincible follows a similar style. The original Gen 13 was a great mini series (at the time). And WildCATS was entertaining. Oh, and I loved Witchblade. The rest never really stuck with me.
Same here. Collected all that shit back in the early 90s. Nicely boxed and boarded. Worthless.