The Documentary Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Why didn't he just stick to his usual approach of keeping a straight face and asking tons of questions

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Mark Rathbun was the only ex-Scientologist in that doc that didn't seem right, imo.

Guy needs to deal with his anger issues.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Mark Rathbun was the only ex-Scientologist in that doc that didn't seem right, imo.

Guy needs to deal with his anger issues.

Tom De Vocht they talked to only briefly (backgammon), from other docs I know he was also a CoS enforcer. Him and Marty are the both scummy, I don't have a ton of sympathy for either. Marty's anger is very similar to Tommy Davis, it has to be some kind of left over Scientology confrontation programming. The Ex-Wife security chick also had the same confrontation style. 'Tone 40' and 'Bullbait" or whatever the fuck it is.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I wonder if Scientology will be any different when Miscavige is gone.

Get rid of him, the Xenu/religion parts, and the stalking, and you might have a decent self-help cult.

OTOH, there ain't no tax breaks in that!

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if Scientology will be any different when Miscavige is gone.

Get rid of him, the Xenu/religion parts, and the stalking, and you might have a decent self-help cult.

OTOH, there ain't no tax breaks in that!

I never read Dianetics, but from what I understand all the entry level CoS stuff is borrowed / stolen from other older disciplines (eastern philosophy, leadership tactics, etc.) and is useful / effective. Their problem is they ran out of legit source material and had to keep adding more steps to sell to generate money and keep people chasing the dream. So they started just pulling things out of their ass that makes no sense and doesn't work. Every benefit you could get you can master in a few months, but then people would move on and the dollars would stop coming in.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Why didn't he just stick to his usual approach of keeping a straight face and asking tons of questions

I saw this at one of the few cinema screenings, afterwards there was a live link up to a Q&A with Louis. The problem they had was no access to the COS, and Going Clear had already beat them to release with a straight forward doc.

There wasn't much else they could cover that had not been already done, so they went the recreation route

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have all of BBC's Planet Earth 1 on Blu-Ray. It's nice that they're doing another. God damn does 1 look great on my TV.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I am ultra hyped!

BBC series Planet Earth II will be unparalleled, says Attenborough

So this starts tonight and I'm looking forward to it, but.... I gotta say, this show is a bit divisive for me. Obviously I really enjoy the beauty of it, but I think that's about as deep as it goes as far as a documentary, and you don't really learn anything except that nature is pretty.

I remember watching Discovery channel as a kid and they have a two hour shows JUST on lions, or JUST on elephants. Bears was a good one too. Sometimes they'd do just the life cycle of the Savannah broken down by seasons (culminating with the rainy season). You'd learn a shit ton. They'd pretty much start out with a baby and take you through the whole life cycle.

Beautiful, but unfortunately, plant earth seems to take hundreds of nature documentary and compresses them down into 10-11 episodes. You get the beauty and aww, but you don't really learn very much.

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, I think it is exactly that. To show the nature and beauty of the earth overall. Hence "Planet Eath".

The BBC, and David Attenborough has thousands of hours worth of very specific topical documentaries if that is your thing. I think this just highlights some spectacular things in nature and the cinematography is ground breaking. The first series left people in awe with shots never seen before. The time lapse stuff in particular was amazing for the time.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Eh, I think it is exactly that. To show the nature and beauty of the earth overall. Hence "Planet Eath".

The BBC, and David Attenborough has thousands of hours worth of very specific topical documentaries if that is your thing. I think this just highlights some spectacular things in nature and the cinematography is ground breaking. The first series left people in awe with shots never seen before. The time lapse stuff in particular was amazing for the time.

Good point.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Found a copy of Adam Curtis' latest doc on youtube.

HyperNormalisation is a 2016 BBC documentary by British filmmaker Adam Curtis. The film was released on 16 October 2016 on the BBC iPlayer.[2] In the film, Curtis argues that since the 1970s, governments, financiers, and technological utopians have given up on the complex "real world" and built a simple "fake world" that is run by corporations and kept stable by politicians.

• 1Like

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally saw 'my Scientology movie' as well - avoidable as there's no real new info here, just a guy with a short fuse that gets poked with a stick over and over again until he snaps a few times.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Sour Grapes

Netflix (Canada) doc about a guy who made fake vintage wine.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Very cool BBC documentary about how plants communicate with each other and animals sombody posted to YouTube. There are some great time lapse sequences in this as well.

• 1Like