The Dragon Prince

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
3.50 star(s) Rating: 3.50/5 4 Votes
Title: The Dragon Prince

Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Animation

First aired: 2018-09-14

Creator: Justin Richmond, Aaron Ehasz

Cast: Jack DeSena, Sasha Rojen, Paula Burrows

Overview: Two human princes forge an unlikely bond with the elven assassin sent to kill them, embarking on an epic quest to bring peace to their warring lands.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So this just showed up on Netflix and it seems, from the first episode, to be pretty damn good.

Producers are the same as had worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender and you can see much of that DNA in the presentation although the animation style is a bit different.

Very much a high fantasy type world with established cultures etc.

Malkav

French Madman
Binged it this week-end, liked it. Not a lot of episodes out for the moment though.

Liked Rayla's accent.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Just finished the first episode. Thanks for the heads up on this.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Uhm, does this have some kind of weird-ass narration going on? It's like someone is reading the script.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I haven't watched any of this yet, but I am going to expect at least some reference to cabbages.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Really entertaining, kind of wish there was more. Rubs that soft spot that Tron: Uprising left.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It is refreshing that the villains are actually nuanced characters. It takes up the mantle of Zuko and Iroh from Avatar and goes even further in humanizing them. They truly do not see themselves as villains nor is the 'good' King uniformly a good person.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Really entertaining, kind of wish there was more. Rubs that soft spot that Tron: Uprising left.
Well if it's following the Last Airbender trend the fact that the first season is labeled "Book 1: Moon" means they might have planned for 6 or 7 seasons. 9-12 episodes a season also means it shouldn't take as long to make so hope it has faster turnaround.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just finished this up. Animation was a little clunky, but I liked the story. Raela's VA is smoking hot. Possibly actual Scottish.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Wish the animation was a bit smoother, but i'm about halfway through the series, and good stuff

though the younger brother is a bit annoying, like raela's voice. its awesome.

Malakriss

Just finished this up. Animation was a little clunky, but I liked the story. Raela's VA is smoking hot. Possibly actual Scottish.
Is it Rayla or Raela? Either way the site lists her as Scottish-Canadian so she's an understandable version of Merida (Brave).

Malakriss

Confirmed at NYCC so let's hope they improve the animation frames for next season. There's no clarification on exactly when in 2019 yet.

• 1Like

Caliane

yeah, this was really good.

Morally grey villains was pretty great. (granted, started getting much less so by the end..)

Caliane

Closed caption is Rayla.

Some thoughts... mine and some 4chan theories.

4chan:
Kings soul is in the bird.
Viren looks an awful lot like original dark mage guy.

me:
Dark magic doesn't seem all that dark yet really. just harvesting animal parts.. little difference from farming. Claudia's claim of wasp thorax being useful, makes it clear, its not souls, or lifeforce or anything...just magical essence in animal parts.
The box probably can point out to such useful parts. that it was in a drawer with keys is also important. probably IS a key itself. key to the mirror?
The box also pointed to Rayla. Elves can be harvested for something.

Claudia's mission already failed. and with Callum becoming an elemental mage. She makes a direct counterpart to him.
If the two kids find the Princes and join him, the story ends more or less. So in order to continue, things must go bad. She also already stated the dragon egg was a weapon of mass destruction. I suspect she will see the dragon, and try to kill it. Soren may side with the princes, and defend them. I think he will likely die doing this. Claudia will accidentally kill her brother. And, this will make her go full dark mage, and antagonist. Making a total mirror for Callum's journey.

Malakriss

Closed caption is Rayla.

Some thoughts... mine and some 4chan theories.

4chan:
Kings soul is in the bird.
Viren looks an awful lot like original dark mage guy.

me:
Dark magic doesn't seem all that dark yet really. just harvesting animal parts.. little difference from farming. Claudia's claim of wasp thorax being useful, makes it clear, its not souls, or lifeforce or anything...just magical essence in animal parts.
The box probably can point out to such useful parts. that it was in a drawer with keys is also important. probably IS a key itself. key to the mirror?
The box also pointed to Rayla. Elves can be harvested for something.

Claudia's mission already failed. and with Callum becoming an elemental mage. She makes a direct counterpart to him.
If the two kids find the Princes and join him, the story ends more or less. So in order to continue, things must go bad. She also already stated the dragon egg was a weapon of mass destruction. I suspect she will see the dragon, and try to kill it. Soren may side with the princes, and defend them. I think he will likely die doing this. Claudia will accidentally kill her brother. And, this will make her go full dark mage, and antagonist. Making a total mirror for Callum's journey.
My take on probable season 2 outcomes
I'm not entirely convinced on Claudia becoming the mid boss bad for seasons 3-5, but Soren dying has been telegraphed way too much already to not happen. Because they are doing "book" seasons there has to be new places and characters introduced for the next primal element theme. Thus, I do not expect most of the S2 episodes will take place in the same human kingdom and it's more than likely we cross paths with Amaya at the border and will enter or encounter Xadia inhabitants. They are not going to be favorable to the human princes or like the fact Rayla is taking them with her and that is where the potential non-Claudia antagonist could come from.

The flip side to this is too many fangurls want another Xadian as part of the main team but Zym already fills that role and I don't think yet another ~15 year old magical race who happens to agree with them would work out. That leaves the known characters who can join the main group as Ellis+Ava or Claudia. Full on MEH if they go the Ezran x Ellis route with a full time 3 animal companion group but who knows with writers these days. Callum will certainly clash + debate with Claudia over magic and Zym will undoubtedly do an overpowered magic (probably in front of her) towards the end of S2. How Soren dies and what Zym accomplishes may be what convinces her to join up going into S3, so my bet is on Viren going full necro and corrupting humans and/or Runaan into becoming his minions which leads straight into a major battle at the border where everything occurs.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'll watch because it's a really good show, but I'm curious how it leaks out that evil wizard dude put Callum and Ezran's dad in that bird, and what they do about it.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The one minor nitpick I have with the series is that they telegraphed Callum's mage status too far in advance. I mean his default 'costume' has a bound book on a shoulder-strap / holster.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database