The E-cig Thread

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I use an emod. I tried sub ohm but the thing was too big and I carry mine around wherever I go, so I'd leave it laying on tables and broke it after it took one too many dives. I buy from mtbakervapor, and get the juice in bulk at about 40 bucks per 250 ml bottle, and then coils are roughly 1 buck per. I go through a coil about every two weeks, and the juice lasts me about three months. So ~15 a month? Then I replace the batteries once a year.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What's the monthly cost for you guys with this stuff? I haven't touched tobacco in years but I'm tempted on occasion.
I do my own juices. I have a few that the wife likes, like strawberry mint, mountain dew, blackberry mint and I go straight peppermint for mine Ive tried many but I always go back to peppermint. Cost is about $10 month? If that?

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I picked smoking back up again after quitting for 6 years due to a stressful job and i hate it. Some of my friends have vaped for years and so i finally broke down and bought a good kit. Aspire Odessey kit that includes the Pegasus box mod and Triton tank. After picking it up 7 days ago i've had 3/4 of a pack of cigs and none in the last 4 days. The guy at the counter was surprised that i would go direct into sub ohm but honestly i love it. They started me off with some 4ml juice but i sucked that bottle dry almost the first day. 8 was too much of a throat hit so 6 seems to be my sweet spot.

The Pegasus mod has every bell and whistle you could ask. Auto rotating display, 1-70 watts, easy top fill, automatic coil sensing including switchover to temp control, an optional RTA kit, etc, etc. It fits great in my hand and has a good weight to it. The air vents at the bottom of the Triton tank are almost too much but you can easily adjust them to any preference. Just over half open works great for me. There is also a vent at the mouthpiece that's adjustable to help cool off the draw but i find i don't need it. I did have a slight leaking issue out of the bottom vents with the pre-installed .5 ohm coil however. This does not seem to be uncommon with 50/50 mixes it seems. After digging around it appears the Atlantis coils fit perfectly in the mod and so i went with them. Essentially identical in every way to the Triton coils and yet the leakage went away immediately. Nice large air holes in the bottom of the coil and huge liquid holes in the sides for lots of liquid draw. The coil definitely has a break-in period where it's recommended to run in the middle of the listed range (20-30 watt) but after 2 days i've cranked it up and with the juice i have 35 watts works amazing. Great flavor, good vapor, clean draw, direct to lung.

My firstZampleBox | Best E-Liquid & Best E-Juice Subscription | Best Vape Liquid Every Monthshould arrive on monday. So far the juices i like have been a cinnamon cereal and a blueberry lemonade. Last night i picked up some Space Jam Andromeda that's a blueberry pomegranate mix that is just awesome. I tried a cantaloupe/honeydew that was super smooth but they were out of everything but 0mg for it so i'll have to wait for it. I also would love to try a good root beer if anyone has a recommendation.

edit: if there is any real downside to the Triton tank is that you can't fully disassemble it for cleaning and so you need either a couple hours for it to sit or compressed air for the inside of the tank to completely dry.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Pic of the Odyssey in slate.
rrr_img_113842.jpg

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, looks like this thread hasn't been super active..

I've found myself with some extra cash lately and am breaking down to upgrade to a heavy duty sub-ohm tank setup. I've been using the Atlantis on an IVP2 box mod, normally running around 20w and it's been very solid. BUUUUT, I want to go a bit more 'expert' level and I'm a bit of a lazy cloud chaser..

After some research the last two days, I've settled on a Uwell Crown tank on a Sigelei 150w Temp Control box mod.

From what I can gather, the top sub ohm tanks are the Crown, the Smok TFV4, the Herakles and then the Kanger mini or Aspire Triton are all pretty close. The Smok leads in vapor production, but it's also running so many coils that you burn through juice. The Crown has only slightly less vapor, but most feel it gives better flavor and doesn't run through the juice quite as fast considering how close it is in vapor production.
Also, the crown and smok are both top loading tanks, which is something I've been looking for ever since I got my Atlantis. It's kind of a pain to take off the Atlantis tank to refill it, always wished it could be loaded from the top without taking it off the mod.

As for the box mod, it was a tossup between the IPV4 120w, the Snow Wolf 200w and the Sigelei 150w. I read that some people run the Crown at 120w or higher, so I didn't like that I wasn't really 'future proofing' myself with the IPV4 and might run into the limit of it's range. Between the Snow wolf and Sigelei, it mainly came down to finding the Sigelei for about $75 versus $90 for the Snow Wolf, they both look great. They all have temperature control, which sounds amazing to me after reading up on it. No more dry hits, no 'hot' hits when you are vaping continuously, cotton on your coil never burns so it lasts longer, and the coils last longer as well. People use the coils for a month easily on the Crown before swapping, whereas I sometimes switch mine out on the Atlantis after a week, but average every 2-3 weeks.

I just placed the order a few minutes ago, so it'll be a week till it all shows up, but I'll report back when I start using it.

I'm trying to find some LEGIT Sony VTC5 batteries and a charger, since none of these mods allow charging the battery, but finding a place with real VTC5s in stock and a nitecore d4 charger has been tough. Was hoping to combine the shipping.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I do have one question regarding batteries, if anyone knows the answer.

I've done the ohm calculation, and if I run a .25 ohm coil at 100w, for example, it requires exactly 20 amps of power. Most of the 'best' batteries according to the sites I've read, are only in the 15-20amp range. The Sigelei I'm getting uses two batteries though, so if I have two batteries that can both produce 20amps, I can safely go above that wattage? I wasn't sure if amps was an additive thing or not.

I want a battery that will last awhile, since I can't charge while I use, such as in my car, like with my IVP2. My plan is to have 4 batteries, two in use and 2 fully charged, and swap them in the morning each day. But, the higher the MaH the lower their amp output.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
If you want to spend the cash on a DNA200 box, the snowwolf is hard to beat. I found a deal on a Segelei 150tc for $70 locally, brand new, that i'm picking up tomorrow. Between the Segelei and the IPV4 or even the IPV3 Li, the Segelei seems to be tops right now. So many folks swear by em. And the IPV4 is just plastic that uses the same chip.

For tanks, try to find the new Triton 2. It just came out this past week. It uses all the same coils as the Triton (triton, atlantis, herakles, starre, clones, etc) so you can mix and match to find the best coil for the flavor you want, with new Aspire Clapton 0.5 coil coming out soon. I'm tempted to pick one up for a second tank to use to test coils and swap flavors during the day without having to drain/clean. Screw on top fill with enlarged ports, can fully disassemble for cleaning (and comes with a spare glass too), and more airflow than you need that's easily tuned. Barring that, the Uwell Crown is really good too yet uses its own style of coils (that are cheaper). Besides guzzling juice, two of my local shops have told me that the TFV4 coils rarely last more than 4-5 days, however it's a great vape.

As for batteries, i've read that folks prefer the VTC4/5 batteries but i'm not sure why. Seems like most people around me prefer the efest batteries because they have a higher amp draw of 30-35 and good capacity.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I almost forgot, if you want a DNA 200 box that uses 18650's the Reuleaux DNA 200 should be available very soon.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The VTC5 batteries were (and are) the highest combo of power and longevity for output. So, back before regulated mods were big, if you wanted to use super low ohm coils at over 100w, you basically needed one. That said, in trying to find a legit source of them, it appears Sony literally stopped making them a year ago and most places that sell them are re-branded from another battery or have old ones if they are legit. So, it's a crapshoot on how good it actually is. Plus, other companies have caught up to Sony and LG, Samsung and others all have batteries that are 90-95% as good.

You need batteries with the ability to put out 20amps if you want to vape over 100w. In fact, other then the VTC5 (which does 30amps), not many batteries can go over 20, so you are forced to run a dual battery setup. I've found the answer to the question I posed before, and two 20 amp batteries will theoretically produce 40amps, you lose a fair amount due to equipment degrading the power though.

I already ordered that Sigelei 150w, I didn't want to go over 100 bucks for my box, so most of the nice DNA200 ones were out.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I've now been using the Segelei 150tc for 2 days i have to say i really like it. Granted, so far i've only used the temp control with a .15ohm Ni200 Aspire coil in my Triton1 tank. The big thing that grabs me is the ability to control voltage more accurately both in wattage mode or temp control (through adjusting joules). On my Pegasus mod a single battery would have enough of a voltage drop by about half battery to affected the flavor and cloud, and i went through 2-3 a day. On the Segelei it has lasted 24h now so i'll toss em on the charger before i sleep, though they don't really need it. 4.2v is where i like to keep it, though flavor is all subjective so play with it some to find what you like. Temp so far is a good balance of flavor and cloud at around 480F for the juice i'm running right now, a 50/50 vg/pg. My first tank through was a 70/30 that liked it better at 520F.

It's bulkier and heavier than the Pegasus, which has only one battery, so it's not that easy to just slip in a pocket. But i like the rubberized texture of the metal case. It's solid in the hand. I wish it had a button lock though, like the 5 clicks the Pegasus had. 5 click on the Segelei get's you in the menu, power off being an option.

Have you gotten yours yet enzie? How do you like it?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
No, it'll be a couple more days I think, based on tracking. I ordered it from overseas (also got mine for about $70) and paid for expedited shipping. It cleared customs today, so I'm hoping Monday, but probably Tuesday/Wednesday.

I'm glad to hear it lasted 24h without needing a recharged battery. The IPV2 I have goes through a single battery in a few hours. I thought maybe the battery wore out from using the usb to vape on it while plugged in, i.e. the constant mini-charges might have wore out the battery.. but my new batteries and charger showed up today, charged them up to full, swapped it out and after a couple hours the gauge says the battery is low. idk if the IPV2 just uses more power then it should or what.. anxious to see what happens with the dual setup on the Sigelei. I figure I'll still use my Atlantis tank on it sometimes.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Oh, are you using the same tank as before, just changed the mod you were using? If so, your flavor wouldn't have changed much, it'll just stay the same longer. At least, from what I've read about it. The temp control won't change how the coil itself works, it just will be more consistently at that temperature. Like, if you vape on it for awhile the coil normally gets hotter and changes the hit, but it won't with temp control.

edit: Also, what batteries are you using? I'm wondering if maybe I ended up choosing wrong if I want them to last longer, and instead got too high of an amp output.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
The batteries i went with for this aren't high amp because i don't really plan on using it at 100w+. I chose a pair of MXJO which aren't the greatest, but are 3100mah each. Consistent voltage + long life = one less thing to mess with/carry during the day.

I have the nickle temp coil in my Triton tank and i actually get better flavor from it on the Segelei over the Pegasus because i can adjust the joules so there is almost no ramp up time. And the temp control is a bit more accurate so more consistent and smoother draw. I did end up picking up a Triton v2 tank as well because i really wanted to try the new Clapton .5 coil and i really like it. It doesn't compare to a Clapton in an RDA but it's damn smooth at 50w. Good vapor and slightly more airflow than the Triton1 makes for a short satisfying lungful of cloud. I'm not sure which i like better yet between the two tanks but it's nice being able to swap flavors during the day just by swapping tanks. Hopefully i can find some replacement Clapton coils soon as it seems retailers don't have them in yet. And i still want to try the Herakles coil at some point.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Hmm.. Yea I don't think I'll be vaping over 100w either, I just wanted the option if I really wanna chuck clouds at some point. Daily vaping, it'll probably be 40-80w on the crown, I'll have to play with it. I only do the .5 ohm coil in my atlantis at about 20-25w.

I may have bought the wrong batteries for daily vaping, but now I know what I'm looking for at least.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
It showed up today! But, im still breaking in the coil. I started at 4.7v and 65j, based on what you said. I dont really understand how joules work in relation to watts yet, though

I thought the sigelei might be bigger then the ivp2, but its really the same size, just heavier. The crown is put together well, and i like the top load option.

edit: ok, so I vaped through a tank and a bit into a 2nd now heh. The flavor is definitely better, but not 'omg amazing!' better. Will have to see how long the coil lasts with the temp control. The vapor production is a bit better in temp control mode then the ivp2, but WAY better in wattage mode when I kick it up. It gets a bit too hot at around 100w though.
Happy with it so far.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
The flavor is definitely better, but not 'omg amazing!' better.
Yup i agree.

I'm fairly drunk currently so this may make no sense at all and i can't remember the math. If you're looking at a graph, left to right time, bottom up is temperature and plotted the the wattage you'd see a 60 degree incline. Temp control then flattens that line at the set temp. Increasing joules acts in a similar manner to adjusting wattage, by steepening the angle before the temp control threshold kicks in by degrading the wattage to maintain constant temperature. The byproduct of heating the coil up rapidly is a more consistent vape. The first part of the drag is as good as the last. My Pegasus mod doesn't allow you to adjust the joules (just the temp) so the set wattage was at a preselected level according the max wattage needed for a .15ohm coil to reach. It took a full second, two if it was cold, to reach temp. On a 3-5 second draw that's significant, and a noticeable change in flavor.

Temp control is just another option to tune a mod to suit your wants as i see it.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I did a little research since I posted that. Joules is just wattage over time. In a one second window, joules are equal to watts, but over 2 seconds 80 joules is like 40 watts.. So, it steps down the wattage if the coil is already warm/hot when you use joules.

I have to change my verdict on the vapor production, I think I just gradually stepped it up and got used to it quickly. I broke out the IVP2 and took hits off each to compare and it's easily double the vapor, and much thicker cloud. I am going through liquid a bit quicker, and I live in Arkansas which recently passed a law that makes it very difficult to order vapor online (technically, no one is supposed to ship to me, but I've got one that still does right now.. hopefully they just don't care or there's a loophole). So.. I've gotta find some friends that live across the border in Missouri to let me ship to their address, or vaping is going to become very expensive for me.. All the stores around here charge $20+ for a 30ml bottle of premium liquid, whereas I'm used to paying $30ish for a 140ml bottle.

fris

Vyemm Raider
can anyone suggest a kit that's reliable yet simple to setup? my wife's gone through several pens and now a few modular getups. i do the occasional cigar but enjoy the taste of vap. so she'd do nicotine juice and i'd do w/o. dunno if that matters.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
The Kanger Subox, Aspire Odyssey, and EVic VTC are all considered really good. I personally started with the Aspire. Besides the juice, you need to replace the coils occasionally, average is 10-14 days but can vary slightly with use and juice. Some juice brands just seem to burn up coils with gunk. Kanger and Aspire coils can be found almost everywhere, while (at least around here) EVic is only found at a couple shops. Aspire's coil design, however, has been adopted by many other good tank manufacturers (Starre, Sense, etc) making them interchangeable. Both Aspire and Kanger have very broad range of coils available, too. From your pen style 1.8ohm coil with a very tight draw, 0.6-0.3ohm kanthol flavor and cloud chuckers, to the consistently good Ni200 temp control coils. Find the balance that you like. Remember, as you go down in coil resistance account for higher wattage and power drain. Extra batteries are always welcome to have nearby.