The E-cig Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
$1mil is just :raises hand above head: too damn high!

For every single product too. So if you brew up like 10 juices for your line in your local store, small business BTW, thats ~$10mil, right there and god knows how long the shit will take. And never mind that, how bout the vaping products themselves? Which have been steadily improving month to month for the last 3-4 yrs. We have some cool shit now all thanks to free market. All that progress to be hampered now by shitty FDA which probably is in bed with big tobacco, the only ones that can afford to plink down $100mil easy to get all their shit approved and to buy those FDA fuckers off. So have fun with your shitty blue e-cigs.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I said it was for each product before.

The e-cig companies have way less total products too. They'd each only have to spend maybe $5 mil or so, for each flavor basically. The way it's setup favors them so much it's ridiculous.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Buddha Dew (Mountain Dew) and Buddha Dew V2 (Grape Dew) from VaperZ Cloud are now my two favorite.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I quit smoking 8 days ago after smoking Newports for 15 years. Started vaping with an e-cigs pro vape starter kit and I bought some japanese cotton and fashioned my own wick for the small coil in the device. It worked OK and was the bridge that got me off of cigs but it had leakage problems and a relatively weak battery.

So I just got a Kangertech Subvod kit and tweaked it with airflow and my own juice mix and its literally perfect. I got a really nice neutral base with a slight hint of menthol and a slight bubble gum taste on exhale. Its not offensive at all it almost tastes like a cleaner version of a menthol cigarette. Its unbelievable that vaping isnt being pushed more to get smokers to quit cigs. Yeah im still ingesting nicotine but fuck it, im not smoking fucking tar and I already feel better to be honest.

I just ordered 4 juices online from gorillavape. I got Smurfs Blood which is like a cool strawberry mix with blueberry and also got a nectar flavor but Im still experimenting. I bought some Honey dew juice and my god was it DISGUSTING. Trial and error i suppose.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I quit smoking 8 days ago after smoking Newports for 15 years. Started vaping with an e-cigs pro vape starter kit and I bought some japanese cotton and fashioned my own wick for the small coil in the device. It worked OK and was the bridge that got me off of cigs but it had leakage problems and a relatively weak battery.

So I just got a Kangertech Subvod kit and tweaked it with airflow and my own juice mix and its literally perfect. I got a really nice neutral base with a slight hint of menthol and a slight bubble gum taste on exhale. Its not offensive at all it almost tastes like a cleaner version of a menthol cigarette. Its unbelievable that vaping isnt being pushed more to get smokers to quit cigs. Yeah im still ingesting nicotine but fuck it, im not smoking fucking tar and I already feel better to be honest.

I just ordered 4 juices online from gorillavape. I got Smurfs Blood which is like a cool strawberry mix with blueberry and also got a nectar flavor but Im still experimenting. I bought some Honey dew juice and my god was it DISGUSTING. Trial and error i suppose.

Try Buddha Dew 2 and Taffyman grape.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
. I bought some Honey dew juice and my god was it DISGUSTING. Trial and error i suppose.

I have yet to find a honeydew only vape that i liked, but when it gets mixed with other fruits it has made some good flavors. Every company does their flavors a little differently, too.

Im always weary about buying a flavor without trying it, even from my favorite companies.

In any case, glad you made the switch man. I bet you are already noticing your smokers cough going away, if not gone already.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'll admit I'm being lazy here by not looking for it myself but I've vaped on and off for a couple years and it's always the same thing... whatever device I'm using starts to fuck up somehow and I quit the whole process for a while then I have the need to start smoking again.

My aforementioned problem was inconsistencies in the replacement filters for the tank I was using caused for some unpleasant smoking experiences. So onto my question for those in the know. What's an easy setup I could by at a local store that has me making my own coils? I'm a consumer, not someone who enjoys the crafting and assortment side of the process. Basically I want to buy something that I can fix up and go with in a few minutes and not need to carry around a bunch of shit to use.

I've tried talking to the hippies in the store to buy a good setup, but I don't trust their judgement. I'd much rather believe something my internet bros from FoH have to say.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, I'm kind of confused by your post.

The first thing you said was the 'replacement filters' were fucking up, did you mean the replacement coils? There are no filters involved in a vape setup. You have cotton that absorbs the liquid and a coil that touches the cotton and vaporizes the liquid stored in that cotton. What was the tank you were using before exactly? This will help me know where you were at overall.

With most tanks, when you put in a new coil, you want to drip some liquid directly onto the cotton inside before you put it in. This 'primes' the coil. Just a few drops, don't want to totally saturate it and flood it out. Then, you put it in, attach the tank, and you should still wait 5-10 minutes before hitting it. If you don't, the cotton might be a bit dry and will singe up or burn a bit, which leads to bad tasting hits.

You also asked for a setup for making your own coils, unless you typoed something there, but then said you want something super quick and easy. That's sort of the opposite, imo. I'm lazy and avoided rebuildable (this is what making your own coils means, it's rebuildable on your own) setups for a long time. I used the Uwell Crown tank for a long time, and it was great. It gives good vapor production (clouds!), the coils come pre-built, and the tank holds a good amount of liquid. This is generally what I would recommend, especially if you don't want to buy the tools to make coils.

But, a few months ago I got the Limitless RDTA (rebuildable dripping tank atomizer) and it hasn't come off my box since. It's like a drip setup, but it has a 2ml 'tank' underneath that the cotton runs into, so it automatically re-wicks itself without needing to drip on it.

If you go the route of wanting to build your own coils, you won't need to carry anything around with you. The coil itself lasts like 3-4 weeks, easily, it's only the cotton you want to replace. Re-doing the cotton takes like 1 minute, and you can easily tell when your cotton is starting to get gunky/burned just by looking at it, so you can make sure to do it at home before it gets too bad that the hits taste bad.

Summary: If you don't want to mess around with building coils, I'd suggest the Uwell Crown tank, and then any mod that can put out up to 75w should be plenty. I never went higher then about 40-50w on it, but you might want to go a little higher, I prefer a 'cooler' vape. Or, if you have the extra cash, buy a box that can do 100-150w max, in case you might upgrade to something bigger later so that you don't have to upgrade the box again when you do. That's what I did, got the Sigelei 150w when I got the Crown, and I've still never gone higher then about 80w, but it's nice to know I have the option.
If you DO want to make your own coils, or have someone that can do it for you every 3-4weeks, AND you want BIG clouds, then I very highly recommend the Limitless RDTA.

edit: Uwell Crown Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Tank Black
Limitless iJoy Limitless Two Post RDTA

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GonzytheMage

Yeah pardon my bad terminology, I don't know what brand of devices I had. Basically I had a box that was a little bigger then a deck of cards and a tank that screwed into it. And yeah I ment coils not filters. I tried letting them absorb some liquid before use, typically I would replace it before bed the pick up and go the next morning. I assumed I got a bad one every once and a while because the taste was sometimes horrible. I even tried cleaning the whole tank free of liquid when I replaced the coil.

It's not that I don't want to build my own coils or anything I'm getting ready to spend another 100 plus on this stuff and I want my best bang for my buck. While at the same time being retardedly simple to setup and use.

Thank you very much for reading my post and providing links. I'll look into it today.

Killswitch

N00b
Smoktek has a new combo setup that is pretty slick its a 200+ watt device with a baby TFV8. I use the TFV8 tank and it's great with no leaking issues but it sucks juice like a crack whore. Some of the tanks you have to make sure to close the air holes fill it, tip it upside down, open the air holes and tip it back. It kind of burps the juice and helps with leaking issues. The TFV8 has some great coils and also had a rebuildable deck as well. You can also go on ebay and grab some pre made clapton coils if you suck at making coils. Uwell Crown 2 is also a great tank too.

Here is that Smoktek combo

Smoktech Alien 220W Kit | Ecig.com

Here is the TFV8 tank

Smok TFV8 Cloud Beast Tank

GonzytheMage

Smoktek has a new combo setup that is pretty slick its a 200+ watt device with a baby TFV8. I use the TFV8 tank and it's great with no leaking issues but it sucks juice like a crack whore. Some of the tanks you have to make sure to close the air holes fill it, tip it upside down, open the air holes and tip it back. It kind of burps the juice and helps with leaking issues. The TFV8 has some great coils and also had a rebuildable deck as well. You can also go on ebay and grab some pre made clapton coils if you suck at making coils. Uwell Crown 2 is also a great tank too.

Here is that Smoktek combo

Smoktech Alien 220W Kit | Ecig.com

Here is the TFV8 tank

Smok TFV8 Cloud Beast Tank

Does that smoktech alien use self made coils or premade coils I would buy in a pack?

Killswitch

N00b
Does that smoktech alien use self made coils or premade coils I would buy in a pack?

You can buy their premade coils just like everyone else offers in packs of 5. Also keep in mind some juices with clog coils faster than others. There is no real way to know other than by experience or word of mouth. Like Muffin Man juice line has a ton of sweetener and would kill my coils in 2-3 days when other juice I can get up to 2 weeks coil life.

GonzytheMage

You can buy their premade coils just like everyone else offers in packs of 5. Also keep in mind some juices with clog coils faster than others. There is no real way to know other than by experience or word of mouth. Like Muffin Man juice line has a ton of sweetener and would kill my coils in 2-3 days when other juice I can get up to 2 weeks coil life.

Thanks for the reply, I'll swing by a local store to see if the offer in house if not I'll order it online.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
When it comes to tanks and mods, its hard for brick n mortar stores to compete pricewise. So, unless you want it right away, id suggest ordering them online generally. If you can afford to wait a couple weeks, fasttech.com is super cheap. Just make sure the one you order says authentic, they sell clones as well (tho most clones are just as good, since the clones often came from the same factories, i just dont want to chance it).

It really seems like a sub ohm tank is gonna be the best fit for you. You probably had some of kind of beginner tank or pen setup to start. Theres about 6 or so sub ohm tanks that are all fairly comparable. I did a bit of research before i got my crown, but there were a few others that were close. Id suggest doing a little bit of googling for articles like this
Best Sub Ohm Tanks of 2016 - Vaping Insider

If one stands out, watch a youtube video of that specific tank to see how it all works.

I think the reason you got some bad tastes were a combination of bad coils (happens sometimes, more often with the cheaper tanks) and using a liquid that gunks up/clogs easier. If you use a high VG liquid with small coils, it can have trouble soaking into the cotton because the holes are too small and high VG is thicker. Just switching to a tank that has larger coils and larger holes for the liquid to reach the cotton could help. Hard to say exactly without seeing the setup itself, but those are my guesses.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Oh, and while stores cant compete on the setups, they are great for getting liquid imo. Since you can taste them there and ask the employees if a liquid is 'gunky' and they tend to know. If its too gunky, itll clog up your coils quicker, causing burnt hits and make you replace coils more often. The 'naked' line, especially lava flow and hawaiian pog, are two of the cleanest liquids ive ever vaped. Ive gone through two 60ml bottles and not had any gunk buildup. I switched flavors after that, so no idea how long i could go before needing to replace the cotton, but going through 2 bottles without any buildup is already crazy.

Then, theres a flavor called 'ninja man' from entourage vapr that tastes amazing (chocolate milk flavor) but makes me replace the cotton after half a bottle. Its worth it to me, since its my favorite flavor, but still annoying.

GonzytheMage

Status update, I bought the smoktech Killswitch suggested. When I vaped I used 12mg eliquid the girl in the store insisted I use 6mg with the setup so I went along with her plan. It was a couple dollars more in store vs the Internet so I bought it local. For the mod, batteries, big ass bottle of eliquid, charger for said batteries I spent about $150 with her 15% discount.

About the device, it's alot smaller than my previous mod and heavier. One thing I really like is you fill the tank from the top so you don't need to unscrew the tank from the mod. It puts out more smoke compared to my old model. The throat hit is alot less intense but that's probably because I'm using less nicotine. I really like how it feels in my hand and the firing button is in a nice location on the side. I dont know enough about these things to speak intelligently about the inner workings of the device. It hits pretry good, produces a good amount of smoke and draws really well. I definitely don't have to puff on it very hard to get a good draw. Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase it was a really good reccomendation.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Out of that list posted above i'm personally using the Tobeco Super Tank Mini, and loving it. Tanks really don't get any more simple than this thing, and it's compatible with a tremendous list of different coils, primarily the Aspire coils which you can find anywhere. I've found that the tobeco coils actually have better flavor and lifespan than the Aspire ones too. I'm consistently getting 3 weeks+ out of them. If there is any downside to the device it's the Delrin top cap. First time it slipped off my desk the top chuff broke off. Easily fixed however, as i purchased a stainless replacement for a couple bucks at ecig-city.com and now it's bulletproof. I'm personally not a fan of Smok tanks as their coils don't last as long and are pricier than the alternatives, but you can't fault their performance.

For subohm tanks, since they produce more vapor, you want to stick with 6nic or 3nic juices for your personal preference. I use 6nic. 12nic and higher were for the older pen styles since they produced such a small hit.

For juice, i buy from vapewild.com and will endorse them heavily. I buy a month of juice at a time (240ml) and it only costs me like $45 shipped. It's not just the price that has me sold on vapewild but also that their juices are not coil killers. And they have a huge selection. My personal favorite is Slytherin Sauce, which is a mild pear cream. It's very subtle and i don't get tired of it like i do most of the berry flavors. For reference, most local shops will sell a 60ml bottle for $30 and have sweeteners added that decrease coil life.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just got a SMOK Alien 220 w Baby Beast tank and got a Tsunami 24 glass window RDA and am building a dual hive coil .16 Ohm setup.

I have to wait until wednesday before everything is finished but I can tell you the SMOK Alien is fucking awesome. I got two Samsung 18650 INR 2500 batteries and the silver silver mod for 78$ and the Tsunami for 26$ online.

Waiting for pre built coils but the baby beast is still sick out the box. I use Time Bomb Fuse 6mg and its smooth as fuck. I cant wait to try my Tsunami RDA the see through window is sick I havent seen any1 with my mod yet.

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
As to the advice of Killswitch I ended up getting the Alien kit with the baby beast. As for the mod it was great, the baby beast started out great but after about a month it started to leak out of the air vent. It only leaked when the tank was filled over half way and tried multiple things to make it stop to no avail so I just never filled it past that point. Although it did have that one flaw I found it to be quite good for the most part.

The reason I am here is I recently lost it, pretty sure it fell out of my jacket while getting out of my car. I am questioning whether or not to get another one or try something else in the same price range. Leaning towards getting the same setup but if anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them.