The Eating on a Budget Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
you keep saying that, but you arent giving any examples of it. make an argument. how am i being insincere?

Because we were talking about eating cheaply on a budget and everyone was talking about making your own food from scratch being the best way to do it. I started to talk about how even though that can be true, produce is shit around here so I can see why families resort to buying processed, pre-packaged shit. Then a few people, you being one, started to argue with me that I just must not be trying hard enough to find the good, fresh, cheap stuff. And now it's come full circle to you arguing that poor people should just shop at Dollar General, which doesn't sell any fresh ingredients at all.

I don't even know why I tried to approach an argument with you with any logic or reason. It's no surprise the usual suspects are masking their bigotry by pretending everyone has access to the same types of ingredients, even at dollar stores.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Because we were talking about eating cheaply on a budget and everyone was talking about making your own food from scratch being the best way to do it. I started to talk about how even though that can be true, produce is shit around here so I can see why families resort to buying processed, pre-packaged shit. Then a few people, you being one, started to argue with me that I just must not be trying hard enough to find the good, fresh, cheap stuff. And now it's come full circle to you arguing that poor people should just shop at Dollar General, which doesn't sell any fresh ingredients at all.

I don't even know why I tried to approach an argument with you with any logic or reason. It's no surprise the usual suspects are masking their bigotry by pretending everyone has access to the same types of ingredients, even at dollar stores.
ok that explains it, you are picking and choosing the things you want to be mad about or you arent reading my posts. i said you can get everything at DG like a regular supermarket, with exception of meat and vedge. there is an option via local grocery stores if thats what you want. if the vedge isnt up to your standards, thats a YOU problem. not a THEY problem.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
ok that explains it, you are picking and choosing the things you want to be mad about or you arent reading my posts. i said you can get everything at DG like a regularl supermarket with exception of meat and vedge and there is an option via local grocery stores if thats what you want if the vedge isnt up to your standards, thats a YOU problem. not a THEY problem.

Jesus Christ you are dumb.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
those cans are usually smaller, a while back i did a $/fl oz between dollar general and aldi/walmart, it's about the same.

Maybe there, but the ones I'm talking about are most certainly the same sizes. Food prices here at most places are gouged to hell and back. Dollar store and the no frills places are the only ones that don't have a 50-100% markup on things.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Maybe there, but the ones I'm talking about are most certainly the same sizes. Food prices here at most places are gouged to hell and back. Dollar store and the no frills places are the only ones that don't have a 50-100% markup on things.
shit, my Menards is becoming a place i shop for food more. In the past month they've taken out an aisle and just pallets of food thats cheaper than the other stores.

haha, in december i bought a 24box of star wars pop chips for 20bucks with a 20$ rebate, like, wtf... something is weird.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
ok that explains it, you are picking and choosing the things you want to be mad about or you arent reading my posts. i said you can get everything at DG like a regular supermarket, with exception of meat and vedge. there is an option via local grocery stores if thats what you want. if the vedge isnt up to your standards, thats a YOU problem. not a THEY problem.

Maybe in NJ but around here (and their HQ is located a half hour from my house) DG is legit a cheaper convenience store. They are competing with the Gas Stations and Walgreens/CVS and actually offering shit at prices that aren't $$poundyouintheass levels. Yeah you can buy basic bitch shit like milk bread and eggs but everything else is cambell's and spagettios

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Lanx has a good point though. i tried some chilimac from Dollar Tree because it looked good. one buck, no big deal. then when i was in wally world. i saw the exact same package of chilimac. same size, for just 82 cents. that all being said, if you just want plain old mac n cheese. its usually around 80 cents to a dollar at any discount store. but you can get the same size package of mac n cheese at Aldi for only 33 cents. you gotta just make yourself aware of whats going on when finding a bargain for food. yes even mac n cheese is food even if its not healthy as eating a salad.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Maybe in NJ but around here (and their HQ is located a half hour from my house) DG is legit a cheaper convenience store. They are competing with the Gas Stations and Walgreens/CVS and actually offering shit at prices that aren't $$poundyouintheass levels. Yeah you can buy basic bitch shit like milk bread and eggs but everything else is cambell's and spagettios
yes, i feel like i shouldnt keep repeating myself, but yes they sell everything except fresh meat and vegetables. dont eat fucking spaghettios. thats not even good tasting comfort food for adults. kids have different taste buds and they like that trash. naw man, find a local grocery store. pick any urban spot in the US and there will be some store that sells meat and vedge fresh within a few blocks of it.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
at 4.50/lb that doesn't even look like a good deal, i mean you can get this
a21578e7a8db132af3fdebf2c51be29c.png

and it's about 5.90/lb, uncooked. I guess if you're REALLY lazy, you can just nuke it to death...

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
yes, i feel like i shouldnt keep repeating myself, but yes they sell everything except fresh meat and vegetables. dont eat fucking spaghettios. thats not even good tasting comfort food for adults. kids have different taste buds and they like that trash. naw man, find a local grocery store. pick any urban spot in the US and there will be some store that sells meat and vedge fresh within a few blocks of it.

I actually hate to admit this publicly but we all have our vices and those are mine. So checkmate on you I guess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I actually hate to admit this publicly but we all have our vices and those are mine. So checkmate on you I guess.
i like Chef Boyardee beef raviolis cold in the can. i know the feels. its still WRONG though!
:p

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
I used to love the stuff. I can't take that heavy sauce anymore. I'm not sure if call it tomato sauce, but it is red.

The real weakness is Vienna sausage. Mmmm. I know they're fucking gross, but I'll eat two cans a week. I'd eat more if I was willing to buy more. Lol.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
OK. What is the obsession with "fresh produce"?
The nutritional difference between fresh, canned, and frozen is very very minor in most cases.
Insisting on fresh produce is antithetical to eating cheap.

I thought the goal was to eat a reasonable tasty and nutritious diet for a very small amount of money.

Fresh, pretty, farmers market produce is absolutely not necessary for this goal.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The nutritional difference between fresh, canned, and frozen is very very minor in most cases.

I thought the goal was to eat a reasonable tasty and nutritious diet for a very small amount of money.

Fresh, pretty, farmers market produce is absolutely not necessary for this goal.

While you are correct that if all you are looking for is price, the taste difference between fresh, canned and frozen is huge. If you can find a way to eat both fresh AND cheaply, that'd be fantastic. Some of us are hoping for that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

real talk, some of these guys think that black people or really anyone living below the poverty line is obese and unhealthy because The MAN is inflating the price of fresh meat and vedge to levels where they simply cant afford to eat a balanced diet like the white peepo do by shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joes. these people are also assuming that black people are burning down their entire neighborhoods so often, that koreaman and pakistanman rolled up the grocery shops and skated the fuck out leaving only donut shops, liquor stores and mcdonalds for poors to get their sustenance from. its hilarious