The Eating on a Budget Thread

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
One of the stores by me regularly has a discounted meat case. Nothing bad in it, just stuff that's a few days away from the sell by. I once bought 40lbs of chicken thighs and legs for $5 out of it. I cleaned them out, took it home, vacuum sealed it. Used the legs for grilling and the thighs for crock pot meals.

Oh, also? Use a crock pot. You can cook some awesome, cheap meals that last for days with a crock pot.

Yeah, check the marked down stuff. I worked in a supermarket a long time ago and a lot of that stuff is perfectly fine, but they're required by law to remove it. Check around for a discount grocery spot too. There's usually stuff like canned goods that are dented or bottles of ketchup within a couple weeks of expiring, etc etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Cheapest, and best, beef and pork I've found is an Amish farm. Go with my in laws on a Saturday at 4am and we bring home 50lbs of meat. It is still body temperature when we get it because they kill/butcher their animals times we go.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tim

Molten Core Raider
Eating cheap is easy. It's just not convenient, that's why people think food is necessarily expensive, they are lazy or just stupid. Unless you are talking keeping it under 50 cents a day per person, you don't really even need to specifically look for the cheapest foods, you just need to buy unprepared foods, then cook it yourself. That's 90% of the work if you're trying to save money.

Think of the better/premium/fancier versions of certain cheap, classic staple food items like pinto beans and white rice.
Even if you went with quinoa and black beans, its still really cheap if you buy in bulk, especially when you consider how far you can stretch each pound of these.

And do people not even notice the fact that grocery stores are basically giving fresh vegetables away for free? Unless you insist on shopping at Whole Foods, a $10 bill will buy you a truckload of the stuff. Also eggs, maybe the best/healthiest food per $ on the planet.

Here's what I cooked last week, and it's my goto for workplace potlucks and things like that:
8oz bacon
1lb chorizo
1.5 lb dry black beans
1.5 lb dry small red kidney beans
~4 jalapeno's
~6-8 serrano's
1/2 a red onion
Whatever spices I feel like.
Bring beans to a boil and let them sit. Drain them, mostly. Chop up all the other shit and throw it all together in a crock pot over night. You're done. You just made a shitload of food for a few bucks.

Some things I'm always on the lookout for, even if I don't feel like eating it right now, since they keep forever in freezer or pantry:

different beans, lentils, chickpeas, that sort of thing
rice/grains
whole turkeys (local grocery store had whole turkey breasts on sale lately for 0.49/lb lately)
frozen mixed vegetables

+1 to people mentioning Aldi. If you're picky(and you shouldn't be if you're not a child or an asshole) they don't always have the exact thing you went in for since their inventory rotates, but plenty of good deals for a smart shopper.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
No Amish near me unfortunately. Will def be looking for discount bulk chicken, pastas, and veggies

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
brown* rice, if you actually care about nutritional content

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I feel like Aldi doesn't get near the love it should. I know a lot of people that look down on it like its some poor people store, but the place legit has great food and a lot of their brands strait up rock.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Fish and small game. LARP for the great universal basic income leap forward. Depression era stews and Cajun food, native practices, survival recipes.
An axe, knife, bucket, traps, nets, fishing pole and a weapon(spear or even a pump air rifle). Salt.

Don't be a pussy, eat a pigeon.

• 4Like
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Hotdogs with lots of mustard then bite your fingernails

• 2Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I feel like Aldi doesn't get near the love it should. I know a lot of people that look down on it like its some poor people store, but the place legit has great food and a lot of their brands strait up rock.
shit wakandan i just posted in the fast food thread, Aldi's Clancy brand bbq chips is like best brand i've ever had of bbq chips that don't make me vomit after 10chips.

also i see lots of ppl find shopping at Aldi a chore cuz they don't bag shit.

1. they give you like free boxes to put shit in
2. if you're just buying a few things bring your own green bags
3. just fucking caveman that shit and pull the shopping cart to your trunk and dump that shit in there, THEN look around for someone coming in the store and while pushing your cart say

"can we trade .25c for the cart"? they'll happily give you a quarter back and you don't have to return.

• 4Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
brown* rice, if you actually care about nutritional content
Enjoy your Arsenic!

(I love brown rice and won't stop eating it either)

I'm glad I'm not the only person that browses the discount meats. This week, it wasn't even discounted, my local shop had chicken leg quarters for 99 cents a pound. Damn good deal, but everything is more expensive up here in the Pacific Northwest. My Mom comes and visits from Phoenix AZ and she's like wtf? I love it when the boneless, skinless chicken THIGHS are on sale for like $1.49/lb! Snatch that shit up. Cheap and I can be lazy at the same time!

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Fish and small game. LARP for the great universal basic income leap forward. Depression era stews and Cajun food, native practices, survival recipes.
An axe, knife, bucket, traps, nets, fishing pole and a weapon(spear or even a pump air rifle). Salt.

Don't be a pussy, eat a pigeon.

I think I need to buy a plot of land.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
shit wakandan i just posted in the fast food thread, Aldi's Clancy brand bbq chips is like best brand i've ever had of bbq chips that don't make me vomit after 10chips.

also i see lots of ppl find shopping at Aldi a chore cuz they don't bag shit.

1. they give you like free boxes to put shit in
2. if you're just buying a few things bring your own green bags
3. just fucking caveman that shit and pull the shopping cart to your trunk and dump that shit in there, THEN look around for someone coming in the store and while pushing your cart say

"can we trade .25c for the cart"? they'll happily give you a quarter back and you don't have to return.
aldi is great, you dont even need to fucking he-man anything. just get some of those cheap cloth bags. lots of places sell them for a buck or just save your plastic bags from other stores. i'm also pretty sure Clancy is Lay's without a brand. their version of pringles and onion rings are like broken glass though.

• 2Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

You're spot on with this. I do a lot of entertaining - frequently having more than 30 people for dinner - and Aldi makes it possible because of really good prices and some decent quality products. The store is definitely more ghetto than almost all the other groceries around here, but that doesn't put me off. They have some good specialty items. Their Naan bread is awesome, for example.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Aldi is confusing to me. It's. German grocery store. The only one I know of in my city they put deep down in brown town. You know the places with all the browns, pawnshops, strip clubs, sex toy stores, etc. Kinda afraid to go in there.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Trader Joe's is a German store too. What's so confusing?

• 1Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Trader Joe's is a German store too. What's so confusing?

Sorry I meant more so that I would assume a German grocery store to be nicer and found it confusing that it was put in the ghetto. That's what I meant

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Sorry I meant more so that I would assume a German grocery store to be nicer and found it confusing that it was put in the ghetto. That's what I meant
wait til you find out Adidas and Puma sneakers are owned by two brothers competing with each other for 70 years.

in germany.

• 2Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
The best grocery store is HEB, yall not in Texas just don't know about it.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users