The Eating on a Budget Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The best grocery store is HEB, yall not in Texas just don't know about it.
details.

Aldi is great b/c it's cheap, but still has great inventory and fresh food.

Sure you need an actualy quarter to unlock a shopping cart, you get it back when you return it, this means one less guy running around returning carts.

Sure you get no bags, in lieu of this you can take as many boxes from them to store your food.

Sure maybe their cashiers aren't the super friendliest, they are however the fastest in the land, they will pump and dump groceries w/ the swiftness. This is further increased b/c they don't bag, they just dump the groceries into a shopping cart.

Sure it's not the prettiest place, i mean, not like i'm showing off Aldi to my mom as the next future wife, who cares what it looks like.

Sure Aldi is usually out of the way, but thats great b/c that means no one is gonna walk off the street to buy 1 coke, that also means no old people, that also means Aldi doesn't have useless stuff like newspapers and lotteries n shit.

Aldi also only takes cash, credit and debit, i "think" they take ebt(i have no idea) but not wic (i actually have no idea wtf the difference is), and no checks at all...
and yes out here in kansas when i shop at other grocery stores, at least 25% of the time, someone is still paying by check!!! da fuq.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
People taking time to write checks after everything is already checked out are also the same type of people who likely have thirty five coupons, some from competitors store, some of which should have been filled out before going to the store, but no, you have to wait for them to do so after everything is checked out.

These are frustrating people.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tim

Molten Core Raider
People taking time to write checks after everything is already checked out are also the same type of people who likely have thirty five coupons, some from competitors store, some of which should have been filled out before going to the store, but no, you have to wait for them to do so after everything is checked out.

These are frustrating people.

Only 1 out of 100 shoppers do this. But that 1 is always checking out ahead of you.

+1 for HEB. Finally getting one near me. What really makes them stand out is their meat selection. Great place to get a good deal on USDA Prime briskets. Eating (great) on a budget.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
but why ya'lls saying HEB so good, it was like when i was hearing all this hub bub about Trader Joes and when i had access and went, not impressed.

I mean, the MILFS were def higher quality

• 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Grocery Outlet > Aldi's. Way better random finds and you can get some crazy deals if you get lucky.

My go to meals are like everyone elses, Pasta, Rice + beans, Stirfrys, Curries or a Chili. Make every meal at home and do meal prep on Sundays so you don't get hungry and cave during the week.

I'm probably a bit weird but I hit the grocery store like every 2-3 days for whatever meals I'll be making that way the vegetables are fresh.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I would argue that the best grocery store in the world is actually located in the MN/Dakota region and is called Hyvee.

Damn I miss that place. A lot.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
but why ya'lls saying HEB so good, it was like when i was hearing all this hub bub about Trader Joes and when i had access and went, not impressed.

if its in texas and thy say its better it must mean its a gigantic store and its full of crackerse

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

I think people like Trader Joes because they've never seen an HEB or Aldi.

It's hard to explain it if you're not here. Texas pride is part of it, HEB being located in only Texas, is *hugely* specialized around Texas only things (eg: you can buy an iron skillet shaped like Texas, or buy Texas shaped tortilla chips). They source most everything for their own brands from Texas farmers, etc. Every store is decorated around why Texas is the best, etc. Plays into the local attitude.

But aside that, their stores are just great experiences. They have a full time chef cooking, chatting with customers, to cook you up a sample, or to answer common cooking questions. If you wanted a spice recommendation for some dish you're making they can help you. If you wanted a wine pairing for a food, they will do that too. They also have their own culinary academy. They have a sushi bar, really really fresh meats, and great seafood. You can even get king crab legs at most HEBs.

HEB here is custom-tailored to the location of where it is. If you go to the hood of Austin, you're going to get a lot of cheap shit generally. I live in whiteland, so everything at mine is really nice for example two rows of wine selection, and a cheese selection that is almost as big as the bakery. Fresh olive bar. Produce is all fresh and solid, and overall their selection is top notch.

Not only that, their generic brand stuff is outstanding. Most people here actually prefer HEB brands over normal brands, and it's cheap as fuck. They have a gigantic variety of fully cooked food too, that is just delicious.

I guess if I had to compare it, it's like Aldis. Just a great experience, great products, really high quality brand, and extremely cheap.

HEB_beer_wine.jpg

124-004.jpg

o.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

8bcab80f2096833fd16e195bf4e819d5.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would argue that the best grocery store in the world is actually located in the MN/Dakota region and is called Hyvee.

Damn I miss that place. A lot.
hyvee is my local grocer, they aite

• 2Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Sorry I meant more so that I would assume a German grocery store to be nicer and found it confusing that it was put in the ghetto. That's what I meant

it's their low end value store, but their low end value store minimum requirements are good enough for most of us lol.

• 2Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Just making sure everyone is aware Aldi's owns Trader Joe's right?

In case you're wondering where Aldi's gets those $4 wine bottles and $2 fresh mozzarellas---it's from the same place Trader Joe's gets the exact same $12 bottles and $8 mozzarellas.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
If they listened to the podcast I linked they should. So no, no one knows :(
thought it was common knowledge... then I figured some folks might not have BOTH an aldi's and a trader joes and not realize they have the same house brands.

• 2Like