The Eating on a Budget Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I worked in a bread factory for 7 years, having access to truly fresh bread on demand spoils you. Don't kid yourself with stuff in the supermarket, even if you grab it right after the truck driver puts it on the shelf, its probably already 3 days old depending on the supply chain.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Update - been doing eggs, boneless skinless chicken thighs, tilapia, spinach, rice, pasta. It's actually pretty wild at how much over a period of time I'm saving. Definitely adds up.

Have yet to check out Aldi's... Eventually.

Dude dont eat Tilapia, how people ever got conned into buying that stuff is mindblowing. It is the cockroach of fish, eats anything, lives anywhere almost impossible to kill. There is no lower form of aquatic life.

• 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm too lazy for this now, but when I was taking sandwiches to school for lunch, I'd make it on frozen bread in the morning (usually peanut butter and jelly), and toss it in my Dukes of Hazzard lunch box. By the time lunch came around, it was defrosted and just fine for eating.

Nowadays, I'd have multiple cold pouches and my FitPacker crap and it would never defrost, but if you really want it, frozen bread doesn't have to be an obstacle.
yep. unlike most food, Frozen bread doesnt defrost nasty. frozen dough, yes. but the bread will be nice and moist when its defrosted.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
ya'll ever tried the Rubbermaid Brilliance Microwavable Food Storage Container Set, 18-Piece so far its my fave for lunch/mealprep.i have no issue lumping the food into one container then freezing.

1. they don't stain, i've used a lot of containers
2. they're cool to reheat, you unlock them and DON"T remove the lid, they have a vent hole underneath the wings
3. they don't spill, i only trusted the 4 locking sides of the lock n locks b4, these also don't spill with only two latches.
4. they don't break. let me explain, i've lost aa few lock n locks cuz i just wake up and trying to grab frozen lunch and it falls on the floor. a frozen container with food is no different than putting a weight in there and seeing who wins the gravity game. i've dropped these numerous times, it hasn't broken, sure the lid will pop off (it loses it's ability to really hold on tight cuz since its frozen the gasket doesn't work super tight)

they're pretty expensive, i used to get the coupons like $3 off one, so it knocked em down to a dollar each.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Ahh, no. I mean, shit is ridiculously expensive in my area (Canada has some pretty fucked up food prices) but that's just the way things go here.

I dunno, man. I've seen the girls you date, and you obviously like to eat cheap.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I worked in a bread factory for 7 years, having access to truly fresh bread on demand spoils you. Don't kid yourself with stuff in the supermarket, even if you grab it right after the truck driver puts it on the shelf, its probably already 3 days old depending on the supply chain.
Grocery stores here all bake bread and put out fresh loaves a few times aday. So damn good.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Dude dont eat Tilapia, how people ever got conned into buying that stuff is mindblowing. It is the cockroach of fish, eats anything, lives anywhere almost impossible to kill. There is no lower form of aquatic life.
They really only eat algae and plants and whatever snails and bugs get caught up in em. They will die once water temps hit 50° and don't have anything inherently wrong with them. Salmon probably have more parasites.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
They really only eat algae and plants and whatever snails and bugs get caught up in em. They will die once water temps hit 50° and don't have anything inherently wrong with them. Salmon probably have more parasites.

They thrive in brackish water right next to landfill run off near my old house. We used to fish (catch n release) for giggles as kids because you can catch one ever 5 mins using ANYTHING for bait. You can hawk a loogie in that water and they will mosh pit trying to get to it.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
They thrive in brackish water right next to landfill run off near my old house. We used to fish (catch n release) for giggles as kids because you can catch one ever 5 mins using ANYTHING for bait. You can hawk a loogie in that water and they will mosh pit trying to get to it.
Well I don't think anyone's eating dirty dump fish.

When I was doing private pond management we would use em for natural algae control. After 6 months of converting sunlight into protein they conveniently die off for the winter and feed the trophy bass. If I was around I would always fill up a cooler. Meat seemed fine to me /shrug

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Well I don't think anyone's eating dirty dump fish.

When I was doing private pond management we would use em for natural algae control. After 6 months of converting sunlight into protein they conveniently die off for the winter and feed the trophy bass. If I was around I would always fill up a cooler. Meat seemed fine to me /shrug

They use them as feeder fry stock for some aquaculture here because they breed like rabbits and you can grow em in a mudpit. They also make excellent fertilizer for golf courses.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
They use them as feeder fry stock for some aquaculture here because they breed like rabbits and you can grow em in a mudpit. They also make excellent fertilizer for golf courses.
I've seen some pretty awesome aquaponics set ups with em. If the Third World wants a reliable source of protein that fish is it. Problem is Africans won't let a 2" fish grow into a 12" fish before harvesting.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I've seen some pretty awesome aquaponics set ups with em. If the Third World wants a reliable source of protein that fish is it. Problem is Africans won't let a 2" fish grow into a 12" fish before harvesting.

There is some pretty awesome closed loop hydro / aqua stuff going on right now. Larry Ellison has been throwing a lot of money at it for the past 10 yrs. I have made some of the prototype parts n pieces for people who got grants from him. I have also been making parts and pieces for commercial shrimp farms they grow in open pits. They make quick protein, but zero flavor.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
There is some pretty awesome closed loop hydro / aqua stuff going on right now. Larry Ellison has been throwing a lot of money at it for the past 10 yrs. I have made some of the prototype parts n pieces for people who got grants from him. I have also been making parts and pieces for commercial shrimp farms they grow in open pits. They make quick protein, but zero flavor.
If I ever get a place out in the country I'm def gonna get weird with some aquaponics farming. When I did my Bachelors I was pals with a PhD dude who did part of his thesis on aquaponics and prebiotics.

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
yep. unlike most food, Frozen bread doesnt defrost nasty. frozen dough, yes. but the bread will be nice and moist when its defrosted.

makes a big difference to have a non-defrosting deep freezer, bread meat ect will last years vs a couple months in a normal freezer

I've got a quarter cow and half pig chilling out in the garage freezer

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

when I was looking into this the thing that threw me off is how easy and quick a catastrophic ecosystem collapse could happen and you lose everything, it's been half a decade though so maybe they have a lot better safeguards now

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
when I was looking into this the thing that threw me off is how easy and quick a catastrophic ecosystem collapse could happen and you lose everything, it's been half a decade though so maybe they have a lot better safeguards now

Most of the systems I see now have multiple redundancies and are running 5-6 mirrors at overlapping intervals. Failures only lose you one cycle on a single leg and can be corrected up the daisy chain. None of this stuff is 'Mars Colony Ready' yet, but they are working toward it

Izo

Tranny Chaser
With all this talk about frozen pizza I thought it may be worthwhile to start a thread on something I've been thinking about lately.

What are so good foods or smart ways to spend as little as humanly possible on food but still get nutrients you need. I.e. no only rice diets or venezuala diets. Been doing a lot of rice, ground beef, spinach and canned tuna lately. Show me you food budgeting skills Broz.
How’d it go, Folbro? Uuubaaah eaaaats?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Are park rocks stir fried a chinese delicacy Lanx Lanx ? I like how she handed a bitten into fruit to the one lady earlier, and she just knew to throw it in water or whatever that was without anything needing to be said. Kirun Kirun just take a look at this fucking channel.

• 1Worf