The Elder Scrolls Online

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's as interesting as watching a fight between two garden chairs. These facts are most likely spinned from PR, to make fans (or Redditors lulz) calculatehow big the worldis and then go viral about it, because it's free advertising. They've already stated it's not really a MMO, more like a RPG coop game with online features as such as instanced maps, dungeons and quest hubs. Measuring how actually big are the game's instances is as useful as measuring some ocean size by it's number of waves.

Carl_sl

shitlord
That's as interesting as watching a fight between two garden chairs. These facts are most likely spinned from PR, to make fans (or Redditors lulz) calculatehow big the worldis and then go viral about it, because it's free advertising. They've already stated it's not really a MMO, more like a RPG coop game with online features as such as instanced maps, dungeons and quest hubs. Measuring how actually big are the game's instances is as useful as measuring some ocean size by it's number of waves.
Soo, regardless of whether the game is good or not, none of this in stanching you speak of is in the game. You zone in to the little cave places like you would in skyrim but the overmap and the towns are not instanced. This is fact.

Lord Blanco_sl

shitlord
well 69 minutes of open pvp territory might prove to be useful for large scale sieges and the time it would take for reinforcements. although, if the pvp aspect fails in this game, running around for an hour to find someone might be annoying

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Soo, regardless of whether the game is good or not, none of this in stanching you speak of is in the game. You zone in to the little cave places like you would in skyrim but the overmap and the towns are not instanced. This is fact.
I'm quoting Zenimax people talking to press, if you disagree with them or if they're in the wrong regarding the game's current state please feel free to leak anything you can.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I'm quoting Zenimax people talking to press, if you disagree with them or if they're in the wrong regarding the game's current state please feel free to leak anything you can.
The overmap is uninstanced and while you zone in to the caves you find on your compass you will find players in there with you as we'll. so unless zones have multiple instances to handle large amounts of players it is uninstanced stuff.

Blackwulf

N00b
I'm hearing good things from credible sources. I'd like to double down on my predictions that this game is going to kick ass and make Utnayan look really dumb.

You know.. for the record and all.

DMK_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_40524.jpg

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'm hearing good things from credible sources. I'd like to double down on my predictions that this game is going to kick ass and make Utnayan look really dumb.

You know.. for the record and all.
That's bold but I dont have a frame of reference, are you talking about a 1-4 months success or a 1+ years success (most MMOs get the first one just for novelty, even defiance was praised for a few weeks), and by kick ass do you mean a financial success (again even most quick failures do ok in this regard) or still regarded as great by gaming communities in a year after release (in general, not this bitter bunch here only)?

Blackwulf

N00b
That's bold but I dont have a frame of reference, are you talking about a 1-4 months success or a 1+ years success (most MMOs get the first one just for novelty, even defiance was praised for a few weeks), and by kick ass do you mean a financial success (again even most quick failures do ok in this regard) or still regarded as great by gaming communities in a year after release (in general, not this bitter bunch here only)?
Well, what I'm hearing, without divulging specifics that I have promised not to do, is that once people get their actual hands on this game and see:
-how smooth it is when you are actually playing it
-how lovely the art is
-an immersive world while enjoying combat that keeps your eyes off the hotbar and on the action, and keeps you feeling engaged no matter how trivial the encounter might be
-enjoy a feeling of just doing what you want with no quest hubs that you have to complete (other than the main story line)
-the immense scope of the world
-characters at max level with a LOT more character development left to do
-the RVR with zero framerate loss when moving around fucking huge zergs of enemies at castles (definitely not the same engine as SWTOR, btw)

There's a lot more, and you guys can believe me or not, and call me a shill or say I'm making stuff up, I don't care. All of this stuff HAS been said before - if you find people who've been on the long play previews of recent builds, none of them contradict what I've said. I can say that I know people personally who have played it, and I know they aren't full of shit. To answer your question about how I am gauging "kick ass" - I believe that a very large core of MMO players AND ESO players are going to stick with this game for years. It will be a critical and financial success.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I have read very little on this game and almost none of this thread. That being said, is blackwulf the lead dev on this game?

Blackwulf

N00b
wait, is this going to be a pvp game? I honestly know very little about this project
Their big player retention plan is Cyrodil - a pvp (rvr ala DAOC) zone (massive by all accounts) in which the three alliances contend for the imperial seat. They've advertised keep sieges, battles over resources like villages, mines, etc. Quests exist in this zone, as well as large open dungeons. It should be fun as hell. The carrot to keep going into the RVR is multifold, but a couple of aspects are: character advancement - there are skill lines that can only be gained/fleshed out via pvp. Realm bonuses - something like in DAOC where you got relic bonuses as your realm captured them. Probably something like a damage boost to all members of a realm, or xp bonus.. really no idea. Another carrot is, obviously, the pve opportunities there. I'm sure the dungeons will house some awesome loot, and it will be fun as hell to try for it while looking over your shoulder for enemy realm members.

I posted, earlier, an article that I found interesting regarding how large Cyrodil is. This is important, because without enough room, players won't be able to find the kind of combat they enjoy. Many modern MMO games that have boasted a pvp endgame have failed in this regard.

Blackwulf

N00b
I have read very little on this game and almost none of this thread. That being said, is blackwulf the lead dev on this game?
Only in Utnayan's most special dreams. I'm just a guy who likes ES and DAOC, and happens to be good at finding stuff out. I'm also a good critical thinker, and saw that a lot of the angst about this game was based on: bad reading comprehension, personal vendettas, and pure bullshit.