The Elder Scrolls Online

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Nothing official on TES 6. I have heard Blackmarsh will be the focus.
hmmm maybe it could be good. Their power could be growing after the crushing victory against most of the Dark Elves.

I love the lore and personally do not mind the videos. It's when you have a hostile future player base that wants other things fixed and they release that. Poor decision.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
/\ You took my post way too seriously. We all know ESO gameplay is terrible, you just have to watch the latest leaks or download the private server client to see it for yourself. I was just joking at the fact that people would buy or play anything, even if you prove them it's awful.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
/\ You took my post way too seriously. We all know ESO gameplay is terrible, you just have to watch the latest leaks or download the private server client to see it for yourself. I was just joking at the fact that people would buy or play anything, even if you prove them it's awful.
Oh ok gotchya
smile.png

Blackwulf

N00b
Since we're talking about promotional vids, what you guys think of this one? Maybe Sony can help pull out a marketing win?

And for those of us still interested in this game, and not convinced it's going to suck, you might enjoy listening to this interview with Konkle:

There's several bits of new info. One thing that stood out to me was the fact that guild storefronts will be in capturable keeps in Cyrodiil. Yeah, if you want to sell stuff from your guild store, you gotta control a keep in Cyrodiil. Nice bit of incentive to keep people out doing AvA. I like it. I think strict PVE players might be butthurt, but I'm glad someone over at ZOS is sticking to their guns about AvA being the central focus of endgame activity. If interested, we have a bit more info atTeso Junkies.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
but I'm glad someone over at ZOS is sticking to their guns about AvA being the central focus of endgame activity. .
They kind of have too since they already said there would be no end game raiding. What else do you have except pvp? Dailies?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The combat ain't great, but who knows, maybe it'll get better. To be honest, I don't think I've truly loved the combat in any MMORPG that I have played. I play MMOs for other reasons, and it's those other reasons that has really grabbed my interest for TESO (which, i'll admit, has gone up and down). Localized economies based on capturable siege points gives me a pretty hefty boner if it turns out how I'm imagining it, and IMO, that's a pretty bold move. If that's a demonstration of their commitment to making PVP within Cyrodil not just meaningful, but memorable, I'm incredibly stoked.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
go play EVE, man
I should have said what else do "they" have in terms of TESO. I think the only thing they have mentioned was PvP and an end game zone that is meant for solo/group play which is probably dailies. Once they removed raiding off the table, it pretty much puts their end game at PvP. I'm not saying they can't come up with other stuff to do but I have yet to see anything mentioned. In any case, I'm just pointing out why I think their focus has to remain on PvP and can't really switch to PvE like Blackwulf was mentioning.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Sounds like another one of those games for ultra-casuals who have no time to commit but still insist on having an MMORPG that caters to them. Maybe TESO can take over from GW2 as that game where there's no reason to play for more than a month but nevertheless has a small core of fans whose idea of great gameplay is to log in for an hour a day to do five dailies. We're not going to see good PvP in MMORPGs these days, that's found in the MOBA, RTS and FPS genres. MMORPGs are where people seek long-term progression and guild activities, and if this game doesn't have those things, it'll be another in a long line of titles that attract a lot of hype due to the name but drift out of sight within six months.

I'm calling it now. No endgame progression content? Dead in six months. This goes for all MMORPGs, no exception.

No MMORPG will ever become a serious success without raid content, it's the only thing the genre really has left to offer people. Dailies and theme park gimmicks are not enough for most players, and the MMORPG platform can't provide PvP that comes close to that of LoL, Starcraft, and whatever shooters people play these days. There was a time when MMORPG PvP was up to snuff, basically between DAoC and WoW anno 2009ish. Since then we've seen the introduction of superior PvP platforms that the MMORPG model simply can't match, and shouldn't try too hard to match. Developers need to get a clue and stick to providing what actually defines the genre.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Sounds like another one of those games for ultra-casuals who have no time to commit but still insist on having an MMORPG that caters to them. Maybe TESO can take over from GW2 as that game where there's no reason to play for more than a month but nevertheless has a small core of fans whose idea of great gameplay is to log in for an hour a day to do five dailies. We're not going to see good PvP in MMORPGs these days, that's found in the MOBA, RTS and FPS genres. MMORPGs are where people seek long-term progression and guild activities, and if this game doesn't have those things, it'll be another in a long line of titles that attract a lot of hype due to the name but drift out of sight within six months.

I'm calling it now. No endgame progression content? Dead in six months. This goes for all MMORPGs, no exception.

No MMORPG will ever become a serious success without raid content, it's the only thing the genre really has left to offer people. Dailies and theme park gimmicks are not enough for most players, and the MMORPG platform can't provide PvP that comes close to that of LoL, Starcraft, and whatever shooters people play these days. There was a time when MMORPG PvP was up to snuff, basically between DAoC and WoW anno 2009ish. Since then we've seen the introduction of superior PvP platforms that the MMORPG model simply can't match, and shouldn't try too hard to match. Developers need to get a clue and stick to providing what actually defines the genre.
I cant speak for DaoC but WoW PvP was never "up to snuff". It was only open world PvP early in the game (which was it's best but still encumbered by MMO mechanics that enable impossible win scenarios), and then it turned worse and worse the more they tried to fit the square peg into the round hole.

I disagree with the conclusion that you need raid content. You DO need progression though. I'd like to see a game try a group-based progression without delving into any raids, would be interesting and hasnt been done I think. Maybe with a group size of 6 or 7 to allow for more diverse mechanics (or even 10? Are 10-mans really raids or big groups? I dont know, only done Kara back in early TBC).

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
I feel you are going to see a lot of the old school Daoc guilds in ESOL just for the Cyrodiil experience. It compares rvr wise to frontiers more so than anything released since. How many months they will stay is the question.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's several bits of new info. One thing that stood out to me was the fact that guild storefronts will be in capturable keeps in Cyrodiil. Yeah,if you want to sell stuff from your guild store, you gotta control a keep in Cyrodiil. Nice bit of incentive to keep people out doing AvA.I like it. I think strict PVE players might be butthurt, but I'm glad someone over at ZOS is sticking to their guns about AvA being the central focus of endgame activity. If interested, we have a bit more info atTeso Junkies.
Since you can also join up to 5 guilds per account, it won't create any incentive at all, players will have characters in the most interesting guilds. PvE players might be butthurt mostly because there will be almost no endgame PvE content at max level besides instanced PvP. Please get your facts straight when you're obviously advertising for some fansite, ZOS and Bethesda awful PR doesn't necessarily entitle you to mediocrity.

Blackwulf

N00b
Since you can also join up to 5 guilds per account, it won't create any incentive at all, players will have characters in the most interesting guilds. PvE players might be butthurt mostly because there will be almost no endgame PvE content at max level besides instanced PvP. Please get your facts straight when you're obviously advertising for some fansite, ZOS and Bethesda awful PR doesn't necessarily entitle you to mediocrity.
Now, now, no need to turn the tone nasty; we had some good conversation going here! I'll respond to your point, though: Yes, you are allowed to join multiple guilds per account (not sure if 5 is the number set it stone.) Guilds have membership caps, however, and even if you do join a mega merchant guild, you're going to have to access the keep store which will be in Cyrodiil. Let's not forget there will be 2 other factions of players working to take away your keep, and hence your store, 24/7. So, yes, it is an incentive to keep up the AvA action and defend your merchant at your keep in Cyrodiil. I know you want to diminish this idea, but let's give some credit - they're are seeking creative ways to keep the PVP zone popular and important.

With regard to PVE, I think there are going to be other things to do at 50, by the way. I don't know if it will please progression raiders, though. Things like working on NPC guild faction, gaining veteran ranks by completing level 50 dungeons, exploring the post 50 content in enemy realms, etc. Don't forget adventure zones which I think is their ESO speak for raids, but no one really knows yet.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Guilds have membership caps, however, and even if you do join a mega merchant guild, you're going to have to access the keep store which will be in Cyrodiil. Let's not forget there will be 2 other factions of players working to take away your keep, and hence your store, 24/7. So, yes, it is an incentive to keep up the AvA action and defend your merchant at your keep in Cyrodiil. I know you want to diminish this idea, but let's give some credit - they're are seeking creative ways to keep the PVP zone popular and important.
Which could be easily circumvented by waiting for keeps to be accessible, since it's instanced and non-static. We're talking about selling items here ; talking about incentive when selling stuff should be a convenience rather than some prize is silly and shouldn't be called "creative" especially when it's most likely derivated from limitations imposed by their megaserver structure.

With regard to PVE, I think there are going to be other things to do at 50, by the way. I don't know if it will please progression raiders, though. Things like working on NPC guild faction, gaining veteran ranks by completing level 50 dungeons, exploring the post 50 content in enemy realms, etc. Don't forget adventure zones which I think is their ESO speak for raids, but no one really knows yet.
Four player dungeons, even boosted for level 50, hardly qualify as endgame content to me (I know you didn't say it, I did). Also adventures zones feel more like instanced events than raids, regarding what they hush during their interviews. I know you've linked some fansite article therefore I wasn't waiting for objective writing based on facts / leaks, but when it's so biased it looks like it's written by ZOS / Bethesda themselves, it has to be called mediocre, sorry.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Thank you for this post. This is the type of crap I have been battling him on this site for for ages. It's also why the ZO marketing team and this game specifically needs to be called out on the carpet. It's a run around to sell boxes and create as much of a smoke screen as they possibly can to fool gamers to buy that box. And Blackwulf here is one of the main reasons why this crap marketing technique perpetuates our games forums.

Blackwulf

N00b
Interesting interpretation, guys. Sounds like a good plan to me, but we'll have to see who is right as we actually get to see it in action. Good luck finding the game that meets your dreams, though!

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
How much training did you go through before posting here to be able to use those colorful marketing adjectives which could be summed up as "Faction grind and dailies."?

Here you need to do it this way next time, Sham Wow.

"At 50 there will be many activities to partake in. The war is perpetuating across Cyrodil... And to gain strength and the proper equipment, you must gain further knowledge and strength by visiting 3 dungeons that have a continual invasion of Garlacks every 24 hours. At the same time you are doing this, you are proving your self worth to the Alliance and specifically, key factions which if you have gained enough reputation, will sell their unique wares. They only will do this for the most highest of revered within their ranks. How far can you grow their trust? Only time will tell. But once you have accomplished gaining their trust and finally put an end to the 24 hour invasions of Garlocks over what seemed like a 2 month period, you will be able to join the ranks of the war. A war which never ends. A unique war in which it has no bearing on the world at hand, but will keep you busy in the good fight for your honor! Your reputation! Your glory! YOU... ARE... THE... HERO."

Blackwulf

N00b
So, once again the conversation has degenerated. I'll try again next time there's new info. Enjoy your circle jerk of doom.