The Elder Scrolls Online

kudos

<Banned>
I'm sure we will get a lot of news when E3 hits. If you see nothing at E3 then give the fuck up IMO.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
Another sign of comedy Gold ahead for the Beta's is they have already said the shittyer you PC specs and Laptop specs are better chance have on geting in on the betas not kidding on this.

For those of us that Build custom Rigs every year or so give or take, have Muti Displays set up,GPU 2,3,4 SLI etc we could have to wait due to that to get, in same with High end gaming laptops that I use when travel.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm sure it has to do with the realization that there are way more shitty PCs out there than custom built rigs so ensuring said shitty PCs can run TESO works in their benefit.

kudos

<Banned>
I'm actually looking more forward to Neverwinter now. Sadly, I didn't get into that beta when it was an option.
frown.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
My favorite was Hellgate London offering the lifetime subscription fee for 200 bucks. Nothing screams "We have no faith in our product, let's see how many gullible fucks we can snake with this shit" like a lifetime sub.
Lotro had a lifetime sub and it worked out alright for that. I mean, it never was a wow killer, but it's as old as wow and still going, even though they did have to go F2P a few years back(but apparently the F2P wasn't too bad for it since every now and then I saw people bumping the thread with news and shit in FoH). It released a long time ago though, back when people weren't complete jaded fucks, and also they made a pretty decent game. Combat had a lot of flaws but it still was a nice game in my opinion.

Hellgate on the other hand, yeah, not quite the same. I don't think I ended up buying it after playing the beta. I don't remember playing it at least so probably not.

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Another sign of comedy Gold ahead for the Beta's is they have already said the shittyer you PC specs and Laptop specs are better chance have on geting in on the betas not kidding on this.

For those of us that Build custom Rigs every year or so give or take, have Muti Displays set up,GPU 2,3,4 SLI etc we could have to wait due to that to get, in same with High end gaming laptops that I use when travel.
And that's the truth been custom building my rigs for long time and all the beta's I sign up for I never get in cause they know no matter how shitty the optimization rigs like my 100 lb casket can power through it. I doubt I get in this beta as what can I tell them on hardware side except it runs on 1% percenters machine.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
The probelem with mass taking every shitty best buy pc, laptop etc that are 7-10 years old even 5 years old for low end to mid end is mmo does not scale as Tech gets better well.

What I mean by that Beyond the shitty wow,Swtor cartoony art style cant stand watched the Video was like wtf is this game from 6-8 years ago or some console port from 1 gen or 2nd gen consoles.

To make this point even more, time this MMO launches at best situation will be either Nov,Dec 2013 if dont get delayed into few monthes into 2014 ok.

When High end pcs and even Med High already make this game look dated as fuck we are still in 2013 what happens even if the game launches nov,dec this year or delayed its basically then 2014 launch which means game already looks dated as fuck on high end, med high rigs so by time its 2015,2016 1st 2 years of the mmo be launched it going to look super,super dated with each 6 monthes that goes by past 2014.

Even if the game is sucess or not by the time they probally get the 1st expansion it be 2016 which is 2 years after launch graphics will be that much more dated by then, let alone 3,4,5 years into the mmo it almost be joke how dated they are.

Blackwulf

N00b
That interview I linked a bit back has a guy claiming their engine will support high end machines with DX11, etc. If he is lying and I log in to find that I have SWTOR level of graphics and graphic options I'm gonna lose my shit.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
That interview I linked a bit back has a guy claiming their engine will support high end machines with DX11, etc. If he is lying and I log in to find that I have SWTOR level of graphics and graphic options I'm gonna lose my shit.
Running in DX11 doesn't mean anything unless they take advantage of what DX11 offers other than the code path.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2793-7.html

So saying a game can run in DX11 doesn't mean shit really. I would be more impressed if they said that DX11 takes advantage of the higher end lighting options and tesselation. Which, conveniently, they do not mention. (Shock)

Like I said before, the information they release is all about the macro buzz words hoping no one ever looks deeper into it. Hitting a casual gamer that doesn't know any better, they see DX11 and say, "LOOK HOW THEY ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF CUSTOM/POWERFUL RIGS!" Remember the good ol' 4x Vs 8x arguments? Thanks to the fluff marketing team of Zenimax Online (and other companies) DX11 can easily be a marketing ploy rather than seeing actual benefit from the higher end graphical options.

K13R

Think I going to pull some old shit out of the closet run a spec like 280gtx with core2 wolfdale with 2 gigs of ram on xp 32 might switch out the 280 for 8800gts I got laying around. See if that gets me into beta

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Nope, look at Skrym sales, look at Fallout NV sales etc... Those single player games are not going anywhere. But maybe this game finally puts the nail in the coffin for wow clones and finally drive some real innovation in this genre which has been pretty much stuck in 2004ville.
I thought TOR was the final nail in the WoW-clone coffin, but I guess there's always one more. I wonder if the corporate level that actually decides to keep paying this is simply unaware of the direction of the the project and market. I just hope we get a well-done Elder scrolls 6, would hate for the single player rpg line to die with this.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I thought TOR was the final nail in the WoW-clone coffin, but I guess there's always one more. I wonder if the corporate level that actually decides to keep paying this is simply unaware of the direction of the the project and market. I just hope we get a well-done Elder scrolls 6, would hate for the single player rpg line to die with this.
There is a lot of decision making, most of it bad, that goes on around sunk costs. Software, and games, are especially prone to this since you are basically spending most of your money on thoughts, which are abstract and ethereal. If your building project goes bust and you have a warehouse full of steel, that steel has some value and you can recoup some or maybe even most of your sunk cost.

In rational economic terms you are supposed to disregard sunk costs when determining future decisions. Let's say I have a software product that is "80%" complete. It was supposed to cost $100 with an expected return of $120. Well here we are at $120 spent and 20% of the project left to go. There is no way to make money on this product now so it should be canceled. This is actually fallacious reasoning. Because that money is already gone the question is "Will spending more money to finish the last 20% cost less than $120?" If so, you do it and you've lost money, but less than if you outright canceled the project. If it will cost more than $120 to finish you just cancel it.

In the case of a game, it is surprisingly easy string out that sunk cost reasoning to the point where it loses all meaning. You basically end up in a perpetual state of "80%" complete, or at some point where it looks like if you just finish it up and get it out the door you will lose less money than you would by canceling outright. Ironically, as more and more money is shoveled into the failing project, just finishing it looks increasingly attractive from a "rational viewpoint".

Really, that game was like 5% complete when you based your future cost estimates on it being 80% complete the first time around. This is easy to see in hindsight when you can easily take into account the final product and all of its resets because those are actual results and not projected results.

There are VOLUMES written about why software estimates are so bad. Needless to say, they are terrible and the publishers should know that by now.

K13R

There is a lot of decision making, most of it bad, that goes on around sunk costs. Software, and games, are especially prone to this since you are basically spending most of your money on thoughts, which are abstract and ethereal. If your building project goes bust and you have a warehouse full of steel, that steel has some value and you can recoup some or maybe even most of your sunk cost.

In rational economic terms you are supposed to disregard sunk costs when determining future decisions. Let's say I have a software product that is "80%" complete. It was supposed to cost $100 with an expected return of $120. Well here we are at $120 spent and 20% of the project left to go. There is no way to make money on this product now so it should be canceled. This is actually fallacious reasoning. Because that money is already gone the question is "Will spending more money to finish the last 20% cost less than $120?" If so, you do it and you've lost money, but less than if you outright canceled the project. If it will cost more than $120 to finish you just cancel it.

In the case of a game, it is surprisingly easy string out that sunk cost reasoning to the point where it loses all meaning. You basically end up in a perpetual state of "80%" complete, or at some point where it looks like if you just finish it up and get it out the door you will lose less money than you would by canceling outright. Ironically, as more and more money is shoveled into the failing project, just finishing it looks increasingly attractive from a "rational viewpoint".

Really, that game was like 5% complete when you based your future cost estimates on it being 80% complete the first time around. This is easy to see in hindsight when you can easily take into account the final product and all of its resets because those are actual results and not projected results.

There are VOLUMES written about why software estimates are so bad. Needless to say, they are terrible and the publishers should know that by now.
Tdlr Throwing good money after bad or using dollars to chase dimes

Blackwulf

N00b
Hey, any of you guys going to PAX East? Looks like they'll be letting people play at their booth:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en...so-at-pax-east
Visit the Bethesda booth at PAX East to chat with members of the Dev Team, play The Elder Scrolls Online, and get your hands on some unique ESO items. Read on for all the must-know details.
I'd like to see what people have to say... I live in Seattle, so gotta wait for PAX Prime.

I'd love to see a vid of Aleksei playing this game and shouting out random questions about what Hero Engine beta/alpha it was.

ixian_sl

shitlord
If it's anything like my past experiences trying out MMOs at PAX, have fun waiting in line for 2+ hours to get fifteen minutes of playtime in the intro area.

Blackwulf

N00b
If it's anything like my past experiences trying out MMOs at PAX, have fun waiting in line for 2+ hours to get fifteen minutes of playtime in the intro area.
Yeah, but I'd like to hear a report on gameplay form someone who wasn't a blogger or "journalist." So.. go there and wait in line 2 hours, it's worth it
biggrin.png

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
What the fuck is the point of making a new game with 10 year old animation/graphics? What the fuck?