The Elder Scrolls Online

khalid

Unelected Mod
Totally disagree and don't see how you could play both TESO and Skyrim and think they are the same.
I don't see how you could play both and not think they are similar tbh. Shrug. They feel like the same world to me, the leveling system clearly borrows a bunch from it, the graphics look similar, the lore is similar. Combat is mediocre in both.

Caliane

Let me settle this.

In TESO, in the first 10 hours of play. how much time have you spent picking flowers and catching butterflies?

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
The only thing that reminded me of Skyrim was the sound and font of the text that popped up in the middle of the screen. Skyrim has a passive tree, ESO has an active tree (is it a tree, or do you just unlock everything eventually?). ESO forces you to pick a class, Skyrim you can max everything. Skyrim you can run (pretty much) anywhere from the start, ESO is gated. Skyrim had voice acting, ESO has TTS.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't see how you could play both and not think they are similar tbh. Shrug. They feel like the same world to me, the leveling system clearly borrows a bunch from it, the graphics look similar, the lore is similar. Combat is mediocre in both.
Skyrim not having targeted combat alone separates them by an uncrossable chasm that doesn't need set classes, cooldowns or non-combat NPCs to throw out the idea of TESO being a multiplayer skyrim.

The reason your summation is so disagreeable is because many TES fans wanted a multiplayer skyrim and instead we got a poorly implemented TES:TOR.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, you just live to fanboy for one of the worst MMOs of all time apparently.
Not defending TESO, I haven't played it yet. But hyperbole like yours is standard for this board for almost every mmo. And yet, not every mmo is the worst mmo of all time.

The wholesale herd mentallity is pretty strong with most of the people here so you tend to go overboard on one side or the other for games (Wildstar is the latest FoH fanboy love machine). So while I respect many of you for your individual opinions, when you jump into lemming mode I usually just ignore you.

You may be correct in your assessment of TESO as "one of the worst MMOs of all time". But the fact that many of you say that about every mmo has pretty much destroyed that statement's believability as a whole.

It doesn't help that Utnayan has gone full bore psyho hating on this game. He actually creates sympathy for those he rails against like a schizoid maniac.

The end result is that while the mass of public opinion on this board is against this game (probably for good reason), the hyperbolic nature of the hate makes it hard to believe your opinions as a whole.

khalid

Unelected Mod
a poorly implemented TES:TOR.
Other than you not liking TOR and not liking TES, I don't see how this statement makes any sense. I can't see how anyone would see much of any similarity between TOR and TES. Targetted combat? As for the leveling system not needing set classes, that is actually a bit of a problem in Skyrim. All my characters end up having the same fucking shit in Skryim, it really ruins the replayability of it for me.

What do you mean by non-combat npcs? You wanted the ability to kill any NPC in an MMO?

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
long ass post that describes WoW's phasing, implemented back in like 2010.
I will never understand why people come to MMORPGs wanting single-player style content. Nothing feels more meaningless to me, no matter how much phasing you throw at it.

I'm fine with the meta story advancing along with expansions and stuff, but through normal gameplay and instances? I don't see how you can immerse yourself in that kind of content.

MMORPGs really need to stop making everyone a hero.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What do you mean by non-combat npcs? You wanted the ability to kill any NPC in an MMO?
It isn't a part of modern MMOs but yes they shoud be. It does open the game up to griefing but I personally enjoy that. And it is easy enough to counter with a million hitpoints, ac and a godly reposte.

It's a minor feature though. First the game has to be fun to play before I care about things like that.

Krueger

Molten Core Raider
What makes this game feel awkward to me is it seems like it's just imitating everything that made Skyrim great. The graphics are aiming for the same style, but it lacks the depth and beauty and wonder that Skyrim had. The music is very obviously not Jeremy Soule, yet seems to try to mimic his style(and fails). Everything is voiced, but the voices sound like they were recorded by people who don't care, and the dialogue is uninteresting. The combat seems to want to be like Skyrim's, but without any weight to it, you just end up standing there and fighting in spot, instead of moving back and forth a lot like in Skyrim.

If this game wasn't supposed to come out for another year, I wouldn't feel as concerned about it. But if they are pushing out a Spring release, then they REALLY have their work cut out for them. If this is what 6 years of work leads up to, I don't see how another 4-5 months is going to drastically turn it around.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I seriously do not get how you are comparing this to Skyrim at all. The combat is Skyrim was not great, but it's an abomination in TES. It's all the worst aspects of Skyrim combat, with a shitty MMO-style hotbar taped on to it, and it's about as responsive as a fucking dead horker. Seriously, everything about combat feels like you're playing underwater, there's 0 connection between pressing an ability and it actually going off, there's full seconds of delay between clicking your mouse button and actually swinging, there's no impact or collision at all. It's seriously just unfathomably bad.

The graphics are nowhere near even close, unless you were some filthy peasant trying to Skyrim on a console.

The shitcanned everything cool to do with the world in the first 10 seconds with the "lol you're dead and in this random daedra prison, and nevermind how i got here alive, don't ask questions" shit.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Having not played WoW since 2006 I must admit I didn't know they implemented something like this. I posted a thread in 2004/2005 time frame predicting that this is where MMOs were headed. I'm kinda surprised it took this long.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Having not played WoW since 2006 I must admit I didn't know they implemented something like this. I posted a thread in 2004/2005 time frame predicting that this is where MMOs were headed. I'm kinda surprised it took this long.
Wow, such a prophet.

I can't take anything you say seriously when you call the graphics in this better than FFXIV (which is what I'm assuming you mistakenly called FFXIV... not sure why'd you be comparing this to a single player PS1 game). Have you actually looked at the character models shown in TESO? They look like they're from a budget eastern European MMO back from 2005 or something. I don't think it's fair at all to call FFXIV's aesthetic anime-like, either. Anyway, to think the character aesthetics are even remotely on the same level is just kind of mind boggling to me.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
many TES fans wanted a multiplayer skyrim and instead we got a poorly implemented TES:TOR.
Honestly that's all I ever wanted, and hopefully more games go that route rather than trying to be full-blown MMOs. Isn't Garriot's game along those lines?

And admit it, you just want to be able to install 45 different mods.

It doesn't help that Utnayan has gone full bore psyho hating on this game.
No he hasn't. I'm not sure if you just weren't around for any of it on FOH, or if you just have thin skin or something, but his posts in here aren't remotely"full bore psycho hating". On the classic 'Utnayan' scale they're maybe a 2 or a 3 out of 10. Emphasis on 'maybe'.

'Full bore psycho hating'would be Utnayan derailing multiple 38S threads in succession, insulting Curt's kid ('nuff said) and ending up making people think that he and Curt Schilling were going to meet up somewhere and duke it out. All while just about EVERYONE demanded someone do something because those threads kept melting down and eventually (EVENTUALLY) he got banned.

and it's about as responsive as a fucking dead horker.
Thought you meant hooker at first, but then both work LOL.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Utnayan's hate of 38 Studios was sooooo strong.

I'm surprised he didn't die of excitement on the day everything started to fall apart for them.