The Elder Scrolls Online

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I think you are on crack.GW2 has a real problem in class balance usefulness in PvE(we are all DPS) but the dynamic quest stuff and PvE exploration as you level up is amazing.
You pretty much reaffirmed my point.

Classes in GW2 in my mind sucked. The leveling which was long and tedious sucked. Downleveling areas to add content sucked. Itemization sucked.

Exploration was great. Group events were ok, but not as cool as public quests from Warhammer. Sure, it was streamlined and there were some neat easter eggs, but the game's PVE is weaksauce.

I can't remember a single thing I did with a group in PVE in GW2. Can you?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
but the dynamic quest stuff and PvE exploration as you level up is amazing.
Yup. Basically, I've been level 80 for sometime, but I don't think I've been to level 80 areas. Or 70. There's just no need to; go to level 20 area, level 30 area, finish some level 15 zone event... it all gives you xp and appropriate loot. Every zone in the game IS useful. Can't beat that freedom.

You pretty much reaffirmed my point.

Classes in GW2 in my mind sucked. The leveling which was long and tedious sucked. Downleveling areas to add content sucked. Itemization sucked.

Exploration was great. Group events were ok, but not as cool as public quests from Warhammer. Sure, it was streamlined and there were some neat easter eggs, but the game's PVE is weaksauce.

I can't remember a single thing I did with a group in PVE in GW2. Can you?
We should agree to disagree because I think it's a taste thing. I still play GW2. I did a ton of PvE stuff in groups but we were not in the same party. We came together for the event and went our separate ways after the event was over (I think you mean to put dungeons and fractals aside which is deliberate group content). GW2 does something that TESO does to a lesser extent. It rewards cooperative play and does not punish it.

The classes themselves are not bad. I play an engi for my main and the gameplay itself is fun. The problem is that you pretty much want to maximize damage and there is very little cross class dependency or benefit. In eliminating the holy trinity, they replaced it with one purpose with multiple classes. It's always going to be the case that if there is only one purpose (DPS) then there will be a best class at it. I don't see that with TESO. They have held onto the holy trinity enough that I think you'll have multiple purposes and multiple builds. I hope anyway. THough.... see above... I don't think the game is finished.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
For what it is worth, the game does have content beyond what has been shown thus far. There are plenty of folks getting to the higher level Veteran Ranks (VR10) but I have to wonder when people ask if the game is finished are they asking if things magically open up and provide a much more diverse set of content as they level up or are they really asking if there is just "content" available and the answer is definitely the latter with some minor nuances.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
We should agree to disagree because I think it's a taste thing. I still play GW2. I did a ton of PvE stuff in groups but we were not in the same party. We came together for the event and went our separate ways after the event was over (I think you mean to put dungeons and fractals aside which is deliberate group content). GW2 does something that TESO does to a lesser extent. It rewards cooperative play and does not punish it.

The classes themselves are not bad. I play an engi for my main and the gameplay itself is fun.
My first 80 was a thief, and he played fairly meh in PVE. The steal skill was crap and there was very little class advancement after the initial few levels. I didn't do a lot of dungeon runs and really didn't care for the ones I did. The combat and world was very rote, and the quests were standard fare outside of the class quests which were ok but really long and a bit too over the top.

I played GW2 for about 6 months primarily due to the WvW which was amusing, but got old due to lack of objectives. The game really does not hold any interest for me since I find it's gameplay boring, and prefer to login to SWTOR or P99 if I need my MMO fix nowadays.

I just don't really like GW2s design. I appreciate the fact they tried something new, but the grouping is really not for me and after playing the Thief class in PVE I just despise it and don't have the fortitude to level a new class as their PVE gameplay is way too slow and tedious and their PVP exp nerfs were way too much.

For what it is worth, the game does have content beyond what has been shown thus far. There are plenty of folks getting to the higher level Veteran Ranks (VR10) but I have to wonder when people ask if the game is finished are they asking if things magically open up and provide a much more diverse set of content as they level up or are they really asking if there is just "content" available and the answer is definitely the latter with some minor nuances.
Hopefully they'll have more feedback and remove the NDA. Right now all I see is low level content, and very buggy stuff at that.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So, do people group? Yes they do. For non-quest content, i.e. dungeons. But if the majority of your content is bite-sized questing, you are not going to group.
So, don't quest? Form up a group, find a group of mobs, and go to town? These games have the exact same systems present as EQ. The only difference is, you're no longerforcedto take part in them, like you were in EQ. You know why people don't partake in those activities? Because, just like in EQ, people realized that those systems sucked then and suck now.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
So, don't quest? Form up a group, find a group of mobs, and go to town? These games have the exact same systems present as EQ. The only difference is, you're no longerforcedto take part in them, like you were in EQ. You know why people don't partake in those activities? Because, just like in EQ, people realized that those systems sucked then and suck now.
These games do not have the same systems present as EQ. What MMOs these days have mobs that don't leash after 10 feet? If you want to grind mobs in modern MMOs, your entire group has to be moving constantly instead of having one guy going out and pulling things. And how many modern MMOs have CC like enchanters/bards that let you pull 10 mobs and control them while you kill them one at a time?

Additionally, outside of certain instances there's no incentive to grind mobs. Mob xp per kill vs just spamming quests or public quests is atrocious. Up the amount of xp mobs get, lower it from other stuff and people would grind it. Look at the chain-bonus in FFXIV if you want one of the rare examples of group grinding being incentivized. People formed groups to grind mobs in that game. Still suffered due to the leashing mechanic, but people still did it as an alternative to fates.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
My experiences differ. There are plenty of spots with tons of mobs and you can actually power through levels fairly fast by just mass killing. I actually did a test and killing Werewolves and Zombies at level 12 got me to 13 quicker than pure questing did 11-12.

I prefer questing because I actually read the quests and enjoy the mechanic better than mindlessly killing things. I think grinding is actually the faster exp mechanic, though. The best of both worlds are getting quests and then killing tons of things while doing them.

Yes, mobs are leashed. There's a design reason behind that. No more full zone bard kites, plz.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Yes, mobs are leashed. There's a design reason behind that. No more full zone bard kites, plz.
Bard kites were effective because xp mobs in EQ had no ranged damage due to the terrible resist system. The only mechanic to avoid this later was summoning and certainly did prevent bard kiting even without leashing.

Aside from that, there's middle ground. Say there's a shipyard and a ship being guarded by a group of enemies. Draw a nice big circle around it where mobs would leash. But inside it, they don't. So you can't just run straight to the end and let 95% of the mobs run back to their spawn. So you can park a group inside the line and have one guy go out and pull a stream of mobs to you.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
I dunno, he's pretty spot on imo. In a lot of MMOs, grinding mobs with a few people is actually more efficient.
Which ones? Even the most grindy Korean games have all went to Quests over grind. The zones/dungeons are designed around quest completion, not grinding. I am not even saying that one way is right or wrong, but I don't think you are right that grinding mobs with multiple people (or even one person) is net, net more efficient. I can't think of a single game where it is, in fact.

I dunno, he's pretty spot on imo. In a lot of MMOs, grinding mobs with a few people is actually more efficient.
The second half of the grinding mechanic was rare spawns with rare drops. I really liked that part of the grind. You have some of that in at least a couple of the dungeons in TESO. I found that the end boss (who spawns regularly) in some open dungeons dropped a blue item as a rare. There was not enough spawns nor was the named rare but I did have a bit of that old magic.

One reason you don't have camping and socializing groups is because you outlevel areas pretty fast even in games that do have some camping. Hard to hold a group together when you level past the area in an hour.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Do you even realize how fucking stupid you sound? Durr, just find a group and quest, hur....
Who's the stupid one here? You didn't even bother to read what I typed, because if you had, you'd realize I mentioned nothing about grouping up to quest..

Kirun have you ever played an MMO? Because you seem extremely out of touch.
Just about all of them. What, exactly, am I out of touch about?

Additionally, outside of certain instances there's no incentive to grind mobs.Mob xp per kill vs just spamming quests or public quests is atrocious. Up the amount of xp mobs get, lower it from other stuff and people would grind it.Look at the chain-bonus in FFXIV if you want one of the rare examples of group grinding being incentivized. People formed groups to grind mobs in that game.
And there it is! You people want a slower leveling curve, you cry for the ability to "grind" mobs, but when those systems are present in the game, because they aren't beingforcedon you and others, you don't partake in them? Why do you think that is? It's because you want people forced to playyourway and at your pace/discretion. Like I said, people don't engage in that gameplay anymore, because we've realized that it sucked then and it sucks just as much now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Only one I can think of is Vanguard. And, well... lol Vanguard.
FFXIV had a grinding mechanic in it. It gave you a exp bonus when you string kills together. And i think, if I remember corretly there was no exp penalty for gruping, you all got what the mob was worth.

But thats beside the point. Im not even talking about grinding here. Im not a game developer. But there has to be something different than solo questing and lolstory. I dont get paid the big bucks for coming up with ideas, they do. So make them dollars be worth something and give us a reason to play mmos other than solo to cap and RAIIID!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
On the note of forced grouping vs optional grouping, I came back to EQ recently and they added a whole bunch of shit to make grouping very optional from level 1-80(at least). I have a group of regular people that get together and stomp stuff, but if I'm just a random guy trying to find a group for funsies (I don't need a group to do stuff at all) it's very difficult because nobody will go through the headache of interacting with each other unless it's necessary.

Game is very playable. I hope I get to pick Tuco's new Derpvakiin avatar.
Not gonna happen.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Grouping in EQ these days only happens in the current and relevant expansion, maybe one or two back.