The Elder Scrolls Online

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
MMOs are all about using your time to increase your power level most efficiently. If a game doesn't allow for immense and unique rewards while grouping people simply won't make the effort to add the huge complexity to group.

I leveled a healer to 15 and a dps caster to 12 in two different factions. I could live with the bad stuff and enjoyed what good there was for the most part. If we assume that this game was built like every other MMO in the past ten years - from low levels to high levels - the fact that the low levels feel unfinished and buggy makes me believe that in no way shape or form is the game even vaguely done. I hope I'm wrong but I am calling it... Warhammer unfinished but maybe not Age of Conan unfinished...say level 35.

I commented in /zone how I was enjoying the game for the most part but how super easy it was. I proceeded to then get flooded with numerous 'omg wtf this shit is freaking hard, man' and relevant responses.

I predict TESO sells millions and is a huge success.

Column_sl

shitlord
It will sell well on the consoles. It fits very well with a controller, and I'm not sure why they don't have support for it on the PC yet.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I commented in /zone how I was enjoying the game for the most part but how super easy it was. I proceeded to then get flooded with numerous 'omg wtf this shit is freaking hard, man' and relevant responses.

I predict TESO sells millions and is a huge success.
I love zone chat! I was talking about how 4 group size vs 5-6 group size and how its easier with 5 or 6 for dps to find groups , since it requires less heal/tank pairs and some guy just raged on me about he can dps as a healer and I was bad if all I did was heal as a healer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So, you want the game toforceyou to do something that you're too lazy/unwilling to do yourself? The whole crux of the issue is, you EQ die-hards are antisocial as fuck, so you want the game to try and force people to talk/play with you. There's literallynothingpreventing you from grouping up, being social, and playing with others. Instead, you people come in here and tout it as being thegame'sfault that you're too lazy to engage in those activities.
Quit fucking putting words in my mouth. No one wants forced anything. I want mmos to actually start being mmo's not solo-mo's, you fucktard. If you think running from one place to another and pressing E ad nauseam is the way mmos are supposed to be, youre the fucking problem not the game, they are giving you fucks exactly what you want. Because its the perfect game for a chimp. Now enjoy your tesos and your wildstars.

spronk

FPS noob
trolling zone chat is harder than it seems, way too many people respond like noobs to "its called xbox 360 because you turn 360 and walk away", "you need an alienware to run TESO properly", "this game is going to be a wow killer" and "hold down alt and press f4 to activate god mode for 15 seconds". need proper TESO-lore trolling, didn't have much luck asking how to capture your own dunmer slaves to farm your plantation, everyone started asking if you can own slaves in the game
frown.png

TESO: Door Sim 2k14

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Quit fucking putting words in my mouth. No one wants forced anything. I want mmos to actually start being mmo's not solo-mo's, you fucktard. If you think running from one place to another and pressing E ad nauseam is the way mmos are supposed to be, youre the fucking problem not the game, they are giving you fucks exactly what you want. Because its the perfect game for a chimp. Now enjoy your tesos and your wildstars.
Fucking A. /clap

Neki

Molten Core Raider
This is why we need the net system back

+1 internet and thumbs up too

How?

Slowing the game down makes it too boring for the most part. Action combat is still more fun for most people. Action combat requires not typing out chat. Interdependence and strategy related to interdependence is gone in almost every genre not just MMOs. The games are very fast. I think the best you are going to get is voice chat in a guild that does raiding or big PvP.

If there is some other way, I haven't seen it and can't think of it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco... isn't PRX working with the Archeage/Trion guys as well? If so, can you give much insight on the PvP comparatively between the two games? You looking forward to one over the other?
The truth is that I have no idea about the details of either of those games and probably won't until we get closer to release and have conquered Cyrodiil. All I can say for sure is that if there's a compelling world PVP system we'll be there.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So, you want the game toforceyou to do something that you're too lazy/unwilling to do yourself?
It's not that you're lazy/unwilling, it's that the game, as set up, is made to discourage you from doing that.

Any on-rail-breadcrumbed quest system basically makes it very hard to group. Basically, all the content of the game is split in two: a large portion where all you get is pitiful mob xp and some minuscule cash and random useless drops, and a tiny portion based on the two to five quest steps you may have, all of which require your going to the same small area, spend 5mn there killing three different mobs which are all bunched together anyway, and then leave.

So, first of all, literally 95% of the playerbase of your current level has zero interest in what you're doing right now, and you've got no interest in whatever they're doing.

Then, there's two things. Either you have only one/two quest breadcrumb possible, in which case, if you happen to be there at the same time, AND the game managed to make sure every quest drop is a drop for every character in the group so you're not in competition for those drops, then maybe you could group, and move along the breadcrumb, or, more possibly, once you've finished this quest, you happen to have the Thingumabob quest now, which the other guy already finished, or he's got the Malarkey quest which you can't do yet because you have another pre-req to complete first. And most strangers have little interest in helping you do those pre-reqs for no benefit to them. So, you're going to group 5mn, then go on your separate ways... or, more probably, not going to group.

That is the consequence of the modern quest system. It fragments the playerbase even more than levels, and actively disincentive seeking a group. That's why GW2's "all together, even if ungrouped" is a big success: in the model where you're constantly on the move, with little to no continuity between your stops, grouping actually slows you down.

So, do people group? Yes they do. For non-quest content, i.e. dungeons. But if the majority of your content is bite-sized questing, you are not going to group.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I leveled a healer to 15 and a dps caster to 12 in two different factions. I could live with the bad stuff and enjoyed what good there was for the most part. If we assume that this game was built like every other MMO in the past ten years - from low levels to high levels - the fact that the low levels feel unfinished and buggy makes me believe that in no way shape or form is the game even vaguely done. I hope I'm wrong but I am calling it... Warhammer unfinished but maybe not Age of Conan unfinished...say level 35.
Spot on. This is my biggest concern too. The game is entertaining and I feel worth at least a few months of play, if <big if>, the game isn't as buggy as it seems to be in beta. The game feels finished in the first 4 areas in the two starting playthroughs I've done this weekend. It just doesn't feel polished enough and there are a lot of annoying quirks, like zone lag

Grouping in this game is fun. The different classes have synergies based on their individual abilities. Certain races do things better, but not to a point where it impacts if someone wants to go a different direction. Like, Dark Elves get 15% faster exp gain for the Dual Wield skill. This is a nice perk if one wants to dual wield, but weapon skills raise fairly fast so nothing overpowered. I'm looking forward to hitting a lot of dungeons and group content. I'm really interested if they can pull the PVP off.

I'm hopeful the game is only Warhammer levels of unfinished. Part of me wonders if it's closer to Age of Conan. Outside of Blackwulf, I have yet to talk to anyone who has played the game past level 20. I still remember all the game videos of sieges for Age of Conan which I gullibly swallowed as proof it was done, and ate crow on FOH for supporting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That is the consequence of the modern quest system. It fragments the playerbase even more than levels, and actively disincentive seeking a group. That's why GW2's "all together, even if ungrouped" is a big success: in the model where you're constantly on the move, with little to no continuity between your stops, grouping actually slows you down.
Yeah, I'm surprised TESO didn't copy this from GW2. This plus all the events and the automatic questing really makes GW2 a joy to explore and quest in vs having to be led around by a quest log that feels more like a leash than a reward system.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The truth is that I have no idea about the details of either of those games and probably won't until we get closer to release and have conquered Cyrodiil. All I can say for sure is that if there's a compelling world PVP system we'll be there.
I always knew I liked you guys.... GL in whatever world you wind up in.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I'm surprised TESO didn't copy this from GW2. This plus all the events and the automatic questing really makes GW2 a joy to explore and quest in vs having to be led around by a quest log that feels more like a leash than a reward system.
My only argument against this is you can just explore and find people offering nearby quests. The stories and quests in TESO are miles better than what was in GW2. Quest areas likewise are not individually instanced so you have a lot of the group event feel going on

The PVE in just a dozen levels of this game is loads better than GW2 which really was terrible outside of exploration and group events. I really hated the level down mentor approach to everything in GW2.

The stories and quests in TESO are miles better than what was in GW2. Quest areas likewise are not individually instanced so you have a lot of the group event feel going on

The PVE in just a dozen levels of this game is loads better than GW2 which really was terrible outside of exploration and group events. I really hated the level down mentor approach to everything in GW2.
I think you are on crack. GW2 has a real problem in class balance usefulness in PvE (we are all DPS) but the dynamic quest stuff and PvE exploration as you level up is amazing.